1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theoretical Religious Question.

Discussion in 'General' started by DivineSin, 31 Aug 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You don't really know that though, I mean, you've got no proof since you've never decomposed while dead before(I assume :D). I'd agree that thats what I think is gonna happen, but you can't really say it as fact, anymore then someone can say there is a god as fact.

2. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

what happens when you die and realise that "religion" was just a tool to keep peasant masses under control 300 years ago, and there is nothing after but darkness?

No nutrients here..... :)

Not really. Assuming, as we are taught, that God is love, and you need only to truly repent to be accepted into His house, you just repent for your wasted life, and wipe your feet on the mat. Pascal owes me a fiver.

3. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Yay there are a few intelligent comments in this thread.

Bah, people are saying all the gods are the same. Yaweh = allah = buddah etc etc...

As if the different religions are just different paths up the same hill to the ultimate goal.

This is not true. The Lord will only allow those who are free of sin and thus worthy of his presence to enter the kindom of heaven. The only way you can be free of sin is to accept Jesus Chris as your Lord and saviour. Repent your sins, and continue to live as a christian. Only then will God forgive you of your sins and let you enter the kingdom of heaven.

Also specofdust mentioned that one out of seven days was "wasted" for worshipping. Well, firstly it's not the whole day. Secondly, it's worth it for eternal life in heaven. But more importantly, what do you do on a sunday? You think that taking time to appreciate the creater and ruler of the universe is more of a waste of time than say, playing computer games? You can pray when you ride the bus, you can pray when you cook some toast. You can pray while you brush your teeth, you can pray while you go for a run, you can pray when you're driving your car. And that's more of a waste of time than this?

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well Woof, where in the Scottish Free church it most definately is the whole day. I know people who won't even buy a paper on monday because the people who produced it worked on sundays. Certainly there's no travel on sundays except for going to church, minimal electronics, no work(for money or housework) done. Nothing but church, reading the bible, eating, and praying.

Anyway, I don't intend on wasting my time on this earth worrying about the next existance which may or may not exist. I'm gonna enjoy it while I can and remember a saying that a jewish rabbai once said, but exists in slightly different forms in many religions:

5. WireFrame

so you're saying Muslims and Hindus and all the other ppl are all fux0red from the start? Ppfft. Sucks to be them.

I never understoof that "though Jesus Christ" thing, Isn't that like a false idol?

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Worshipping Jesus is not worshiping a false idol because Jesus is god.

Each poart of the trinity are different people but each fully God.

Ephesians 1 : 3-5
    Hebrews 1 : 3
    John 14:16
    1Timothy 2:5

Yes, it does suck to be them, that is why it is out duty as Christ's chosen people to spread the word. We are ambassadors of Christ and we have the important job of passing on the message.

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Uh-oh :worried:

This, my friend, is how wars get started.

I always wondered what life would be like if all religious people died and we were left in a society of atheists and agnostics?

I'm sorry if I am not adding anything intelligent to the debate but I have since realised that you can not rationalise with a great many people, especially if they are religious.

btw.. Buddha is not a god. He was a guy historically named Siddhartha Gautama who was the first to achieve enlightenment.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

One question for any christian with the same view as woof.

How do you know you are chosen?

(Not meant to start flame wars, I'm actually quite interested in how you know)

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

What happens if you die, and then relise thee is no god, and there is no afterlife, then you think, how the (burning firery pit of doom other variant) am I even realising that there is no god and that I am dead, therefore I cannot think..... Oh my (insert name of preffered diety) get that knife away from me i'm not dead, just sorta... not moving... or breathing... or beating of my heart... wait what the (burning firery pit of doom other variant)?!? what is going on here...

Last edited: 31 Aug 2006
  10. WireFrame

I was sure he was His son....

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I do not know the answer to the question I am going to ask, it's a genuine question so please answer truthfully.

Does it say anywhere in the bible that Christians are to convert people of other religions to Christianity?

God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost - the Holy Trinity iirc is considered as one, thus they are all technically God.

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

No no no, he sent his son, who was also himself, to earth did dome trippy stuff, then committed suicide to "save the souls of mankind"
    (He did afterall let himself die on the cross, the other people try to stay alive)

13. DougEdey

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Not what I meant, but I can see where you're coming from.

15. DougEdey

The thing is that if people are taught the whole "do unto others..." thing (as I was), why is it that even though I leave religion and religious people alone, I STILL get them knocking on my door, approaching me in the street and generally annoying me?

16. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather die and find out there is a god, thinking there wasn't than die thinking there was, only to realise there isn't and I've wasted a lot of time.

As for the whole Sunday thing. I like to do what I want on Sundays, and enjoy doing it. I heard a Christian say recently that worship is not supposed to be fun. So yes, even time spent playing computer games or staying in bed is time better spent.

If God is as forgiving as he is made out to be I'm sure he'll understand why people do not believe in such an outrageous idea.

As for the original question - nothing, I'd be dead.

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Maybe you were not taught it properly then :p. The saying means treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Not treat others how they treat you. That would go completely against the meaning of the whole idea.

Anyway can we please keep this on topic? This thread is quickly heading down the thread closed path. We were talking about interesting theoretical hypothesis of what comes after death.

18. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

an inspirational extremist - nothing more. If that’s trippy then Bob Geldof is probably the son of God aswel. Like most things a genuine story turned into an old folk tale with water into wine and the likes, which leads nicely to -

hits the nail on the head for me.

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I wouldn't care at all, if God is infinitely good, and intelligent. Then I'm sure he can accept that I'd rather waste my Sundays killing headcrabs than sitting on a hard cold bench.

And if he is infinitely good, then why go on an ego trip and make everyone worship him.
    I'd rather be in hell than with such a big head.

20. DougEdey

But I leave people alone, so I want them to leave me alone.

I did something to them (left them alone), which is how I want them to treat me (leave me alone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.