1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The good old days of gaming.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JS1, 31 Aug 2006.

1. JS1

JS1 What's a Dremel?

Man I miss the good old days, when CS was about version 1.5, it hit its peak for me. It was awesome, so much better than playing online games now, it's just not the same. Also played Day of Defeat a lot.

I remember having 56k, a ping of 120 (amazingly low for AOL!!) and still enjoying a game. Sure there were people cheating etc but it was still fun. Voice comms hand't really been utilised because of connection speeds so it was all text chat. I had nearly every key on my keyboard binded to some random comment or tactical decision. I played in a clan and it was a bi-weekly thing to have a match. Above all it wasn't competitive, it was fun! Even when we lost.

I remember when IRC wasn't just full of people idling, there was talking too. Sad as it may sound, some of the funniest things i've seen were in IRC channels. Just have a read through www.bash.org and you'll see.

#old
    #the-offspring
    #jolt
    #cs.jolt
    to name a few!

I remember when Sogamed.com was called geekboys. I remember the video 'fragordie' (about counter-strike) that bds released, it was awesome.

I remember Barrysworld having servers etc. Jolt Forums being way more active. Jolt server #19, road rage. Savage running leagues. Clanbase just getting going. Those lan parties, i15 or whatever they were called. Never went to one but always wanted to.

I remember Christmas day about 4 years ago, I got a new gfx card. A Ti4200, it was almost top of the range back then. Playing CS at a constant 100fps then eating christmas dinner. That was a good day.

I don't know whats changed but it isn't the same anymore! Anyone else know what I mean? Maybe it was because I grew up alongside the boom of online gaming. Being 11 or 12 in 1997, going through school and not really cutting down on the gaming much until I was about 18.. meanwhile online gaming really kicked off.

Anyone remember me in any of these names? I'm sure I had thousands of others.

Klown_{56k}
    Klokwerk
    Klokwerk_klown
    n0fearr
    SuPrEmEsY
    sp0re
    SPo0n

I miss it all :(

2. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

you can still get that feeling, you just need a place to call home, like a fav clan server with your kinda people. (and by that I just mean people you can get on with).

There are a few cs:s severs I go on where the people on their all know each other and have proper meets at christmas etc. Although i'm not into all that it's nice to see these small groups where people just enjoy what there doing as well as still playing pretty competitively.

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I get nostalgic thinking about playing the original Quake version of Team Fortress...2fort2....I was in the Diamondbacks clan. That was soooo much fun. Pinging about 200. If you had something less than 30 you were sitting in the room next to the server. :D And back then ping really mattered. lol

I had that again with Day of Defeat. Our clan ([HoD]....Heart of Dixie) had some really close folks. Spent a lot of time in our clan forums, irc, in the server. Good times. I think some of that really started to go south once Steam was made mandatory and all of the problems we all had with it. Much of the clan is still active on the forums and all. And we are even trying to get more activity back in our servers....1.3 and Source versions. Come on by sometime. :thumb:

4. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

hehe i remember playing CS when the scope was on the m1a4.. hehe that gun owned! then 1.5 saw a surge of hax for me... was really annoying... skills became irrelevant, downloading the newest patch for the hax became more of a skill... dodging the admin and cheating bars! hehe... all good fun tho... apart from when hax pull of 13 HS in a row... in 6 seconds! hehe...

thanks
    Scott b

5. Overlord

Overlord What's a Dremel?

Back as little as 3 years ago online gaming was pretty much still one of those little secrets. Its now getting mainstream and the communities suck, just look at warcraft forums.

I wasnt around post 1997 era started around 2001 but I can see that it really must have been something special. Especially lan meets with decent pings. :cooldude:

I honestly have had some of the most hilarious moments online. I look back with fondness. :waah:

6. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I remember LPBs.

I remember 2fort5.

I remember QuakeWorld.

I remember as_oilrig.

I remember watching Heaton 5-man 4K on an eco round.

I remember a clanmate telling me his great idea for a league called CSGN.

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

This man speaks the truth. I play CS:S on a server called Brandshaft out of Cal and it is so much fun. I have been playing on it for almost 2 years. It is almost like playing at a local LAN cafe with some of my good friends. (just maybe not as fast)

I do remember playing Unreal Tournament for the first time over the internet back in 99 when it first came out. I remember playing that more the Counter-Strike (I think it was at 1.1 or 1.2 at the time) because it was such an awesome, fast paced game. I still play the Original UT every now and then seeign as how I like it more then 04, but the first UT is just so musch fun.

The good ole days of gaming are not dead and gne, you just gotta find a niche and then go with it.

8. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I'm only now starting to quit UT '99

9. automagsrock

Damn. I love playing UT '99. Aside from the fact that I can play it maxed out and still hit over 100 FPS, I just enjoy it more for some reason. I can't pinpoint it, there's just something about it...

10. automagsrock

As do I. That was the first Counter-Strike map I ever played back at version 1.0. That brings back some good memories :)

11. JS1

JS1 What's a Dremel?

Ah Team Fortress! Remember that map with the 2 tunnel things in the middle, water everywhere and a massive inside bit on each side? and 2fort2 was so fun aswell! i used to love that game.

And as_oilrig was awesome. de_dust is a classic though, love it.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

I miss the days of de_railroad, cs_seige, cs_milita etc etc :sigh:

Even action quake2 on my k6/2 400 and voodoo3...

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I used to love playing SOF2 on my Duron rig with a Matrox graphics card - anyone remember Kam2? Great map. Great game. Great grenades. :D

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

seige and oilrig, some great maps from back in the day! :)

I remember ages ago when me and some friends all went to my mate's flat with our PCs.
    My mate Simon says, lets try this game out (CS beta .7 or something).
    Had a big black box instead of a crosshair it was such an early beta.
    I remember saying after a while to my mate, that it was a unique idea but it'd never catch on!
    LMAO!!! How wrong could I be?? :D

HL and opposing force on a LAN was excellent, as was warcraft2, C&C, Age of Empires 2, Quake.

Great days, spending the whole weekend playing LAN games and eating pizza and drinking coffee/beer etc.

However, I don't think these days are lost.
    I think we just see them through rose-tinted glasses.
    Anyone remember the fun involved with setting it all up?
    Some folks PCs not having IPX/SPX and wondering why C&C couldn't see them in the lobby.
    Viruses on your mate's PC trying to rape yours.

I think games are just as much fun as they used to be, we're all just getting more mature and we enjoy them less. :D

15. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Man... I used to play TFC and DoD(before valve f'd it up) all the time. I used to play on one TFC server all the time. Until one week we had conq only maps, and then people stopped coming. It was one the saddest moments in my gaming history, sad to say. About that time TFC was also starting to fall out of favor too. Back when you could actually still be the best on the server with a 56k modem(and when you'd have 2 external motems to give you just a little boost :) ).

I loved playing as sniper and spie on 2fort, badlands, well, the rock. And I loved playing sniper on warpath, warpath was the best. I don't know if it was because it was the first online game I played, or just because it was so fun, but it is still my all time favorite online game (followed very closely by the original DoD).

I used to play DoD alot too. Heutau(sp?), chateu, and caen were my favorite maps. I remember when there was a bug on caen, and you could get up on top of the buildings and just own people. I really loved Heutau. Everyone has a map/game that they are really good at, and on Heutau I just owned. I was really mad when Valve got rid of that map, and f'd up the aiming system.

I don't know if it was because I was younger and in High School, but I used to play for sometimes 6-7 hours at a time. I usually can't play for more than 2 now. Of course I don't play TFC or DoD anymore.

For TFC I played as Death's Hand, and on DoD I was Death's Hand or 3rd Horseman. Maybe you played with me.

Now days you can find me playing as -[PRDU]-KiloSixFour or -[PRDU]-Urgent Fury on Americas Army, and just the former on BF2. Hopefully, Fortress Forever or TF2 will reinvigorate my passion for TF.

16. ex421

ex421 What's a Dremel?

I feel the same way, cs 1.5 would be so addicting to me, I would blow off homework and everything else to play it from sun up to sun down. And I was obsessed with upgrading to make cs look better, but since latter 1.6 and source ive lost total interest, if I try to play I cant stand more than 5 minutes, it becomes too boring, and it seems the same with all video games, which I dont like, BF2 was fun for awhile also, then same thing has happened.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I wasn't a PC gamer back in the day, but when I think of gaming back in the day im reminded of the countless hours I spent on Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter II Turbo, Final Fantasy VII and Goldeneye. I remember before FFVII came out I spent countless hours on AOL using their crappy file search system to get videos of all of the summon spells and cool FMVs. I was a huge fan of FF III and when VII hit the US, I don't think I saw the sun for a long time. I actually had the game BEFORE I even had a PS1. Kind of a forced way to get my dad to buy me one for Christmas.

18. Strategy

Strategy Banned

RESOLVED :D

Last edited: 4 Sep 2006
  19. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Remeber the real good old, old days. Lemmings, Sleep Walker, Repton, Elite. Classics one and all. Who needs 3d graphics aye? Bring back Skyroads!

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Lemmings!!!

Loved that when it first came out!
    Was sooo funny and original! :D

Tags: