1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is it possible to bend PCBs?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Techno-Dann, 31 Aug 2006.

1. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Basically, I want to have two video cards, not sticking directly up from the motherboard, but bent to either side by 20-30ish degrees. (Crossfire, not SLI. Not quite that dumb.) Obviously, trying to bend a video card is a Bad Idea, but I've seen some PCI-express 16x riser cards that fit into a PCI-express slot on one side, and then have a PCI-express slot mounted to the other, so sticking one between a motherboard and a video card would just move the video card up half an inch or so. There are no components mounted on the PCB itself, just traces running straight from the fingers on one side to the PCI-express slot on the other.

The closest I can find to one online is in this picture, it's the little thing on the bottom right-hand side. I could possibly get a taller one.

So... Would it be possible to bend one of those things, and convince it to stay bent? The video cards are the focus of the project, so I'd rather not have to stick huge supports on them to hold them down.

2. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

Wouldnt it be easier to use the one with the ribbon cable and attach mounting points for the cards on your chassis?
    This one has a slightly less offensive cable.

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

PCBs are typically made of fiberglass, so no bending is not a good idea.

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Even if you bent the PCB itself traces would stretch break and there won't be enough of the finger to reach the bottom of the PCI-E slot to lock it in. Because it will be bent there.

5. turbosatan

turbosatan What's a Dremel?

you want one of these

link

should allow you to put the cards at any angle but you will need to have proper mounting points in your case to hold the cards steady.