1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

Looks sweet!! So can you make 3 more exactly like that?

2. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Love the feet design!! How much was the alu or was it lying around?

Keep it going :D

3. randomz

randomz What's a Dremel?

Nice, the feet are gonna look sweet!

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I would take that first foot and sand all the others when they are clammped together as well as drill for symetry. Or find a machining company justting aluminum isn't much fun...Milling it is:)

5. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Yes Yes Yes, those are fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ok, seems that I've somehow left some questions un-aswered. Let's remedy that :thumb:

@hydro and his question about making a stealth panel for the front connectors.

Of course I've saved all the leftovers from cutting this thing, but I'm reluctant to cut that area out. Mess up there and that's a b**** to repare. I'll rather do a shroud for it, easier to re-make :hehe:

@antiHero

If you know someone who can weld well, you could cut the back panel out and have someone to weld a new one there. Or one solution would be that you'd cut the old one out, make a new one from say aluminium and then mount it with some L-shaped alu profile and screws. Just a thought, hope you'll get it fixed soon, I'd love to see some more of that!

@floppyeardbunny

I don't think there's anything wrong with the pics, hope you'll be able to see them soon.

@rowin4kicks

I just might do that, colouring the front audio ports (which I'm not even going to use) and on top of that somekind of shroud, sounds good, thanks for the idea :D

And also thanks for the great compliment on that my mod would be on par with Orac3, though I think that it might be a bit overstated. Don't get me wrong, I think that it's one of the greatest compliments that you can give to anyone here and I appreciate it a lot.

@chase

Of course I'm going to give you another pic of the rear area once it's done, that's not going to be soon though :hehe:

@ssR

Working with vinyl takes time and patience. I've re-done a few things which costs quite much cause a 40 x 60cm piece of the carbon fibre vinyl costs about 20€, so I tend to be pretty careful with it :D Also this CF vinyl is a pain in the butt to work with, it's too thin and it tends to leave bubbles even if you try to be really careful when applying it.

And what comes to modding a V-1000, go for it and use your imagination cause we've only scratched the surface here, there's still a load of great things you could do with this case. Or if you feel that way, buy some other case and just go wild with it :hehe:

@tdkwarrior

Ok, making the front ports orange would be cool, but even I am not that crazy and obsessive, lol. Colouring them with a permanent marker, that I can live with :D

@cire9753

A shop called Motonet sells it here in finland, so it's basically a "tuning" thing for your car. And thanks for IanW for answering this for me. Hope you'll find it.

@customholle

I sure hope so that I can make 3 exactly like that, well since they are hand made, they'll differ from one another a bit, but I think that's ok.

@OldY

That piece was about 32€ and it was actually bought for another mod and also for making a dive lamp, oh well...

@hydro

I thought about having the feet made in a company which deals with alu a lot, but then I thought that making them myself would make them mean more if you know what I mean. Giving the mod some tears, blood and sweat...cool :D

Also I'm probably getting a drill press, that'll make things a lot easier...

Ok, I think that's it, thanks for everyone for their kind words and input again.

Janne

7. hydro_electric_655

Ya just make sure that you clamp them all together when you sand them And before you drill the 3 other'ses holes (splol) you can use the first on as a template and just drill through all three. If you sand them all at the same time they come out nearly perfect. THen carefully round off corners lightly. ANd perfect feet. yay....Also umm I forget but while im talking I jus tnoticed that one of my hands/lower arm is noticabley lighter than the other. Just thought I would say that.

Almost forgot
    Watch out for an aquarium built into this case....

8. customh

customh conflagration.

Bah, difference gives each peice character, if the case doesnt wobble and they look cool, more power to Janne!!

9. rbxgt2

rbxgt2 What's a Dremel?

Darkened, you are a god.
    did you ever consider of making the hdd & optical cage completely out of that plexi you have?

you remind me of this guy:
    [​IMG]

".... A man of many hidden talents"

10. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I know the tools you have to work with are probably pretty limited but if you could use a band saw of any kind with a metal cutting blade mounted.. that along with a steady hand and your attention to detail should produce some good looking feet. The band saw allows you to move your part instead of the blade giving a more accurate and safer cut. The case looks sweet. I would love to do some work like that but I am now too far from all my tools to get to work on a good mod. Keep it up!!!

11. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

hey Darkened, with those feet, how are they holding up? there isnt any deformation around the narrow areas on that last large hole near the top of the feet? you might want to put some chucks under where your other legs will be and stress test that foot. your hole looks like it might cause a bit of stress on the aluminium there, but as long as you dont make any mistakes and make it perpendicular to the workpiece they should be fine.

Just occured to me as you usually keep about a third of the width (at least) remaining if drilling holes to lighten a workpiece. :geek:

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Excellent feet Dark..
    I have spent "countless-hours" polishing Alu, I feel your pain..
    The last step in Alu-polishing is a (white) liquid rouge or polish. I have tried a few brands and
    Mothers makes a billet polish that is incredible..!!
    They say it is the best metal polish money can buy, and I think they are correct.
    Give it a try, you won't be sorry.. The polish will make your billet-Alu look as good as chrome plate..

Last edited: 4 Sep 2006
  13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

tdkwarrior, that shouldn't pose a problem. I did a quick calc with worst-case-scenario - measures and even they didn't pose a problem. 4 feet with two strips of 10mm * 1mm on both sides of the biggest holes and a case with a mass of 20kg would produce a tension of about 77MPa. Aluminum usually has a yield point of 80MPa or over. To me it looked like the feet were really closer to two strips of 15mm * 2mm and case mass of 10kg. The real tension is probably less than 10Mpa.

Darkened, where did you buy the aluminum? I'm trying to find a dealer near Tampere. Most of the ones I've found only sell to companies.
    Also, what polishing compound do you use? It looks really sleek!

14. hydro_electric_655

I would suggest making a brace structure for the feet. My concern is that the pressur ecreated by the feet is not a linear vertical force but a bending force at an angle. Thin Aluminum hates that. Maybe mount aluminum strips under it make them look nice too.

15. sunnyg

sunnyg What's a Dremel?

those feet are really nice, are you going to incorporate any leds in the plexi?

16. dabbe

dabbe What's a Dremel?

Very nice work.. [Finnish] Ootkos jossai metallialalla ku noi näppärän näkösesti noita vääntelet ? :) Jatka samaan malliin vaan.. [Finnish]

17. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ok, thanks for the comments guys. I just got back from modding and I'm feeling pretty tired :hehe: Well 8 hours of modding will do that for ya...

I'll update tomorrow and answer your questions as well. Stay tuned...

Janne

18. ChorijaN

ChorijaN What's a Dremel?

great work...keep us posted
    SUBSCRIBED ;)

19. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

nice to see a modder doing intelligent modding (calcs) instead of just "because it looks right". nice work, looking forward to the next update :)

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Good point, hydro_electric_655. I wouldn't be worried about the bending in itself. A 20kg weight would create ~0.0005 degree twist in one leg. But flimsy alu might cause the case to wiggle unmanly... Lets hope it doesn't get to that.

Tags: