1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New speed sign reads your number plate

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 6 Sep 2006.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

the same thing has been on the M8 at glasgow for years, luckily they dont use it to press charges :eek:

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've got another idea for boosting road worker safety. How about they actually do some work instead of drinking tea and texting people all day. I know it's a novell thought, but if they spent more time working the job might actually finish on time and there'd be less time spent on the roads.

Never happen of course.

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

civil engineering for you, its on land and there isnt any incentive to really work that hard as all the men/women get to go home at the evening. The longer you can drag it out the more money you make!

Give me offshore anyday.

But i digress, nice idea however itll just be used by Nanny (state) to nab us when linked up with wiMax as Bindi said. However when i was driving i didnt remember my own number plate so it wouldnt have had any extra effect on me at all. Id still slow down when i noticed the BIG flashing 50 sign.

5. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

funny they've used that sort of thing in the states for a while now...

nothing new here

hell i've gotten 3 from them in DC alone.... *******s

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I'd say its a good idea, but at those pay&display car parks where you enter your registration I'm shocked by the number of people that don't know their own.

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

when you drive more than one vehicle on a regular basis, it's hard to remember them all...

i know the plates for 2 of my cars... simply because i use them most often

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I dunno. I think if you speed through road works then you deserve a fine and 3 points - getting your number plate flashed at you seems a bit of waste of time though as once everyone realises it's just a warning they'll pay no attention to it anyway.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yeah as finboz says, we have had those on the M8 for years.

10. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

If they work then great :) I'd be happy if these signs were combined with well-placed speed cameras at dangerous spots.

11. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

I think all speed cameras should be front facing

/biker

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats a great idea, as long as they cant identify your face or you wear a helmet.

They have the signs that have your speed, usually flashing red for me, and the speed limit on a sign above it. The problems with those is that they make you want to see how high you can get them, they only display 2 digits so I always try to get it flashing 25.

13. babychaos

Helmets are compulsary in the UK (which is the way it should be), and most peeps use tinted visors, so it would be all good.

If they ever put free speed displays in the UK I suspect there would be a lot of trouble :D

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why's that then?

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I suppose much like the seatbelt situation, most people at the time felt it should have been voluntary, but the overwhelming evidence is that it saves many lives.

That seems like a pretty good reason, of course one could argue that the choice should be left up to the individual, and then we could watch Darwins theories play out in real time.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Didn't ACPO do their own research which showed that speed cameras in roadworks actually increased the number of accidents.
    Surely adding your numberplate to the bottom will make people brake even harder in shock?!

17. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

thats not much use anyway.. its flashed his number plate but hes already gone past :hehe:

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

i see your point but it totally depends. Some on the m4 are just coned for absolutely no reason what-so-ever. Just to keep you at 50 for a few miles more because they cant be arsed to remove the cones and take the signs down yet, and it's a full 3 lanes. But others where there is 2 or less lanes and/or there are people working, for sure its necessary to do the limit or 5mph less just to be careful. I dont envy those guys with traffic shooting past.

Only 50% of the time this happens. How do you graduate "well placed"? When it works it works great: like around schools or hospitals perhaps.

Yep. People smack the brakes even if they are doing the limit, as a force of habit, which is extremely dangerous on the motorway. Hell, it's dangerous on normal roads as well.

19. babychaos

http://www.ijy.cc/index.php?id=b004da

A crash at 60. If I wasn't wearing a jacket and helmet at best I'd be able to count to 5, at worst I'd be dead. Helmet and jacket took it all, and I walked away with four stitches in the elbow.

Check out the photo of the helmet...thats the coaches tyre rubber there. Now lets imagine what would have happened if I wasn't wearing a full face helmet...

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I fail to see how you answered my question babychaos. I wanted to know why people should be forced to wear helmets?

Tags: