1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Beast-Media

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by zackbass, 2 Sep 2006.

1. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

Hi, you might remember me from my last project log: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=89645

I'm back with a completely different type of project. Instead of careful machining and TIG welding this time a few friends and I are going to at it with some fiberboard, a drill, a couple saws, and screws. No squares, no tape measures.

Here's the backstory: I live in the East Campus dormitory at MIT (notable for such things as: the Time Traveller's Convention, LED Disco Dance Floor, that automated "party" room that made the rounds a couple months ago). Last year I installed my first water cooled PC as our media server. We have quite a media setup, an 84" projection screen at HDTV resolution, 5.1 sound, several couches including a lofted couch. It's an Athlon 1700+ with a TI4200 and ended up working its ass off all year. With my old computer sitting around back home doing nothing I decided to make an upgrade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was supposed to make a new case for this upgrade over the summer but ended up stretched a little thin between work (intern engineer at Picatinny Arsenal) and building a Megasquirt based EFI system for my racecar. I just threw all the parts into a box and brought them up to MIT hoping to throw something together later.

Later is now and construction has begun. Here's the plan: Start with a couple sheets of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and make a mounting board to hang from the wall like a picture. There are no plans, no measurments. Planning is done with a Sawzall and drill.

There's not a lot of commentary to be done on construction. The building took about two hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now it's sitting on the kitchen table waiting for our artist to start painting. Again, we have no idea what's going to happen, the artist wants to do an aquatic theme since it's water cooled and I told her to make a psychadellic.

The hardware that's going onto this thing is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, P4 2.4C, 512MB Corsair XMS PC4000, 520W Vantec PSU, 2x 36GB WD Raptors, four other disks, DangerDen Maze4 CPU and GPU blocks, Eheim 1250A pump, Lian-Li mobo tray, Hayden Transcool radiators.

More updates shortly.

2. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Loving the set up!!!
    Bring us some more updates :D

OldY :thumb:

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ghetto :D

4. Soncetina

Soncetina What's a Dremel?

beautiful

5. sunnyg

sunnyg What's a Dremel?

can't wait.

isn't mdf dust poisenous?

6. Blame582

Blame582 What's a Dremel?

not anymore then anything else we breath LOL

7. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

mdf dust ranks around ethidium bromide in its danger factor, imagine a dust form of a carcinogen that strong, and u have mdf XD

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

no its still quite dangerous, you should wear a mask when working with MDF

9. zackbass

Rest assured, it was cut in a well ventilated area, not only do we not like breathing nasty dust but we also don't like cleaning up inside.

The box is painted and up and running. Pictures are on their way but since classes have started it's hard to get motivated to take them and put them up.

10. zackbass

Here it is, all painted and mounted on the wall. It's been working great and is very quiet except for the noise created by six hard disks spinning away.

[​IMG]

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sort the wires out man, seriously ewwwww.

12. customh

customh conflagration.

May be ghetto but it sweet!!