1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Could the EU fines delay Vista?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

Luckily the EU is very easy to contact for about anything. If anyone really wants to complain they can e-mail various contacts or mep's.

Or so i like to think :worried:

Im annoyed, but i was not going to buy vista for a few months anyway, so i guess im uneffected :)

Kye.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If I were MS, I'd just not release Vista in the EU. Better safe then sorry... EU descided they wanted MS to do it their way, MS doesn't comply by not releasing Vista.

But then again, I'm not calling the shots over at MS.

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Ditto.

My thoughts exactly.

5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

What parts of the new OS do MS have to remove? Just WMP?

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

IE integration (which is a HUGE deal)...

Basically, all the free extra services and apps MS gives you together with Windows...

7. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Weren't the fines about MS not providing documentation for Windows Server?

What should the EU do instead? Drop the anti-monopoly charges because Microsoft has a monopoly in the EU?

8. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I think the commissioners point is probably that they shouldn't be engaging in such monopoly-boosting, anti-competitive measures in the first place.

9. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

they wont not release ms in europe. Proving a point or losing out on millions and millions of pounds, which they will get regardless if its delayed or not.

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I want the EU release of vista and i'm US. :)

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Me too :D ('cept I'm North of most of the USA)

Actually I think Macro$loth is acting like a spoiled sports star saying "I won't be out to play because they're forcing me to change my shoes - They won't let me wear the ones with the 3" spike on the front - and they won't let me wear my brass knuckles."

12. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

basically they are like oh noes! microsoft makes a bit of software that has convienient bits of kit like a web browser, thats free anyway, and a media player, that is also free. so therefore its stifeling competition cos the masses are too stupid to install a diffrent player/ not use the ms ones, or just plain dont care if they use wmp or winamp as they do the same thing.

i really dont get the whole sue them for making it easy to use for lazy people who dont care if they use wmp or any other program out there as wmp does what they want.

dell package software onto their pcs right? shouldnt they be stopped? cos they are stopping users for potentualy buying their own programs and complicating the setup processes of the pc.

they really shouldnt come with windows on at all should they, cos who wants to uninstall and then install their own os when the one on there does it for you and ocmes with the pc.

i dont really see how its monopolisitc, cos there are alturnatives out there, people can choose to use them but if they choose to use the default one then they can as they choose to.

apple cant put quicktime on their computers can they? cos thats stopping people from using others and quicktime is a vital part of osx with the whole movie editor only doing quicktime formats and what not.

arnt operating systems ment to be a a software package, otherwise it should really just be a basic kernel and gui with nothing else, maybe not even a gui as there are multipule ones, so that would be stopping competition right. so what they have to release is a basic kernel, then no one will want to use a pc unless they know how to actualy use code languages.

i just think its stupid what the eu has done, as they technically arnt a monopoly so they cant stick anti-monopoly laws on them, and as they have only just done it when they have had wmp and whatnot on all the other os's theyve made it seems abit nasty to me, they could have just done somthing like blocked the sale of anymore ms products that fall under the infringement/whatever it is. i think that would be better.

13. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

No. If MS decides that releasing a product in the EU is more trouble than any profit they might make then the EU will get nothing. End of story.

Bottom line: The EU has no place telling MS how they should package their software. If the masses are fools...tuff. Let them be. We are in an age now of easy information and as such there is no reason any consumer of any product should not be making an informed purchase.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

How would you act if you had a great product, which is perfect for 90% of your users, yet some bureaucratic organisation thinks you aren't open enough and fine you millions? Not forgetting, once again, that the product you offer (including IE and WMP) is EXACTLY what most of your customers need and want? Because thats what it is, most XP users don't give a damn wetter they use IE or Firefox (or Opera), WMP or Winamp (or some other exotic media player),... They just want something that works, with minimum fuss... And, look, that's just what MS offers.

So you are saying, to hell with customer support, to hell with what the majority wants, lets make it much harder for them, because a minority is paranoid about 15MB of storage space.

So, now we got that out of the way... I repeat myself. Why should MS risk getting those fines again? If you have a product that's not accepted by the government (note, it IS by your customers), you can a) invest a lot and adapt it OR b) not release it there. I stand by my point, and I wouldn't release it in Europe. I don't want to invest even more in a product 99% of the winers (who are the ones that wine about IE and WMP) are finding allready overpriced. But then again, I have no symapathy for those winers... If I were MS, I would refuse to sell them a key, if you find my product that bad, get yourself an other product then.

oh, and BTW, Macro$loth, very very very mature...

15. Tyinsar

But that would pull another OS into the front in the EU. How long before that OS (probably Linux) becomes bigger than WeenieDOS in rest of the world? MS would be signing their own death certificate if they chose to abandon the EU.

16. Sinner666

Sir, you deserve a metal...or two.

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You are quite wrong there... MS is that powerfull, that if they refuse Vista to the EU (and all successors), the EU would be forced into a situation where they are technologically disadvantaged. (I think of a Vista only buisness application, which can't be that far off). Well, what then? Nice move EU, you just placed your economy in a weak position

18. Sinner666

Okay. What OS is widely known and as user friendly as Windows in the EU right now but doesn't out sell Windows because of MS's monopolistic tactics? Not 10yrs from now but RIGHT NOW.

19. Tyinsar

@ Glider:
    I say Macro$loth because MicroSoft is so huge and, often, slow to respond. I say WeenieDOS because MicroSoft originally tried to hide the fact that Windows 95, 98, & ME actually run on top of DOS and made it so it wouldn't work with other versions of DOS even though it could do so quite well.

I'm actually not against Microsoft's products. They perform well enough and often get undue blame for problems caused by others (every security hack and virus). What I'm against is the ways they have unfairly used their dominance to push others out of the market. I'm against the ways they've forced companies to bundle only their OS.

On the other hand Windows has been good for PCs. (link) I've seen other articles that say the same and I AGREE :jawdrop: You might say I have a love/hate relationship with Macro$loth and WeenieDOS. Please consider those my affectionate pet names for MicroSoft and Windows - not meant to offend or demean but to amuse me.

I thought you, as a Linux aficionado, would say open source is just as good or better. There are always alternatives - if not, there soon would be.

If MicroSoft pulled out of the EU I seriously think Linux would give MicroSoft some Serious nightmares.

20. Sinner666

Not what I asked. I asked for a viable alternative that at the drop of a hat could replace MS Windows. Not what MIGHT replace it in Xyrs. Plus if MS pulled out of the EU completely they wouldn't care WHAT the people in the EU used as they would not be marketing their product to anyone in the EU in the first place.

Tags: Add Tags