1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Nuclear Fallout!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by elbarto241, 12 Sep 2006.

1. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

This is my first major mod so be kind....

After a couple of weeks of designing and daydreaming in class I came up with this design...
    [​IMG]

Here is my 3D model using the oh-so helpful Google Sketchup we all know and love.
    [​IMG]
    From a different angle..
    [​IMG]

At the base of the two cooling towers will be 2 fans sucking out the hot air. In the front, the fans will be covered by a black mesh that will be spray painted with a "nuclear hazzardous" logo.

The front buttons will feature a modified setup of G69T's Dark Blade case. Below is a picture of his buttons if you havent seen them (I doubt it :D )
    [​IMG]

I am still deciding if I will put that "mini-fence" around the top of the case...might look good, might not

As always feedback is encouraged and appreciated!

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Cool. Need some parts pics etc.

3. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

It would be cool to add dual res's that look similar to the nuclear fuel rods from Back to the Future

4. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

This should be a "hawt" mod when its done. Can't wait to see how it all comes out.

Do you plan to put the rad's in the tower's? I can see how it could be difficult to do though. Or at least get to them if you need to.

5. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

this looks really cool, make sure to leave room for future addition of a nuclear battery to make this thing portable.

6. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

I think that if you utilized 2 120mm radiators, and used the dual "smoke stacks" as turbines, then in the center made a large plexi res, and used uv green dye, and fenced it off, it'd look like a nice large pool of nuclear sludge ^^

7. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

yes, water cooling would be a good idea because that is kinda like how a nuclear power plant works. and then you can use the water res to look like the used fuel rod storage area, similar to the idea posted above.

8. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

you should make the coolant blue.

blue you ask?

yes, blue. i dont have any pics but actual nuclear poweplants glow blue, not green like the movies show. in the "reactor" side of the pool, you should have a few blue LEDs glowing towards the other side of the resivoir. you could even have a glowing cube of acrylic, which would be really sweet.

EDIT: adding to an above post, twin radiators with fans blowing out the towers would be really cool too (smoke machine anyone?)

9. elbarto241

yeah I was already making plans for WaterCooling...

Problem is I know very little about watercooling, so I will need links to a couple good article and such.

I was thinking I could expose the Res' on the side with pipes leadin into the side of the case. The radiator would be exposed at the top.

I already 85% with the dual cooling towers. Took pics and everything but ran into a problem. I didnt bring the upload cable with me :wallbash: , which is at Austin. So that leaves me with two options: have it shipped in from Austin or buy a card reader...

I also completed the CD-ROM mod. Will upload pics of that ASAP.

I also have a question to whoever is listening....
    I have a old Compaq keyboard (pictured below)
    [​IMG]
    I removed the circuts inside and sanded out the factory sticks on the bottom. I plan to paint it Neon Green to match the case. I was wondering if I should sand lightly before I primer it, or skip the primer and so straight to the neon green...

As always Comments are welcomed! :D

10. randomz

randomz What's a Dremel?

^^ Maybe Vinyl Dye? Not really sure, haven't ever used it

11. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Looks like a sweet mod.

If you got 2 slim rads and put them in the stacks, you could put the stacks on stilts (like they are in real life normally) and put fans at the top and bottom, drawing in air from the bottom and blowing it out the top. That would be awesome.

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

actually i believe its more of a purple colour

strangely my dad has been on a tour of a nuclear reactor, as fission occurs in the reactor it gives off a glow (probably something to do with the large amounts of radiation)

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nope, really is blue. I spent 13 yrs. working inside reactors while they were running putting on insulation. This was about 25 yrs ago until my wife who was my girlfriend found out. "You do what? Not anymore!!. Back to college then for me.
    John
    PS: you get 3 times union wages to go inside. Of course my wife and I had to adopt!

14. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

along the lines of that comment...i think u should include a sticker that says "Beware, may kill your sperm" lol ;)

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Industrial acident. Brownsville, Nebraska, NOOB flushed the hot(radioactive) side of the turbine into a semi completed RAD Waste Treatment containment. Mouse maze with 20 feet thick walls and slopping around in radioactive water up to our knees. Choice: no kids, or green kids with one BIG eye. You choose! No regrets,
    we adopted a new born and NEVER regretted it. Legally blind, 13 yrs old now, and I took him to see KORN, and 10 bands. I'll keep him. I went to Woodstock and Concert for Bangladesh at Madison Square Gardens and Korn really impressed even me. 3 drummers, 3 bass players, synth, and that mic stand desingned by H. R. Geiger is to covet.
    John

16. elbarto241

wow...this is all great info, but still need article on watercooling..

I decided to buy a card reader to solve my problem of uploadin the cables...

Im going to start the bondo construction on the Cooling towers on Saturday, I would do it sooner but my I have no time with school n everything

17. elbarto241

I narrowed down the design for the two front fan grills.....

the first candidate is this one..
    [​IMG]

the second one is..
    [​IMG]

which ones looks better?

as always comments are welcomed and appreciated! :D

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The first one is really a biohazard logo... I'd go with the second one, because it's a real radiation hazard symbol.

(And that blue glow is Cherenkov Radiation, which is caused by charged particles passing through an insulating medium (water) at greater than the speed of light through that medium.)

19. rdcL

rdcL What's a Dremel?

Well, that first one is biohazard, which doesn't necesserily have anything to do with nuclear fallout, and the second one is radiation. Which has everything to do with nuclear fallout. :p I'd say two is the logical thing to do. They're both horribly overused, so that doesn't matter.

Edit: too late.

20. elbarto241

yea, i thought the first one was for biohazard.
    I was leaning towards the second anyways :D