1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding need sheet aluminium sutable for PC case- where to buy from?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KolaKube, 12 Sep 2006.

1. KolaKube

KolaKube What's a Dremel?

Anyone any idea where to get this from?

By mail or local (Tyneside)

Thought BnQ may have some but the web sites poor. Ive googled and still nothing.

Is 'aluminium sheet' what its acctually known as?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Maplins sells a reasonable selection, although not very big sheets. You need at least 2mm thickness, which is what most aluminium PC cases are made of.

At this point I would like to point out the Forum Search facilities. Many a young novice has trodden your path to modding enlightenment, and thus asked very similar questions. Their quest for knowledge and insight did not go unrewarded, and their posts have been bequeathed here for posterity, so that new generations who feel the call can share in their learning and wisdom. So use the Forum Search, and you will find the truth that you seek.

3. KolaKube

thanks again :thumb:

point taken too. I am searchin the whole net though. sometimes its easier to talk to like minded peeps.

4. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

That was deep Nexxo. :jawdrop:

5. stevie1556

stevie1556 What's a Dremel?

I got some from B&Q. I got it from the shop, instead of the web page.I also bought loads of aluminium bars in an L shape, to build the frame out of. Prices arn't too bad either.

6. Nexxo

Yes, but the forum search is quicker. :)

Example: Select 'Search' at top of page; then type: "Where buy aluminium sheet". This got me (in 1 second):

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=89520

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=84294

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=72710

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=42289

Easy-peasy.

What can I say? I'm a BS-artist too. :D

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

For crying out load i gave you a link for an online retailer in the custome case thread.
    WTF my post is missing
    http://www.ukaluminium.co.uk/

Can we get a sticky listing suppliers of material?

Last edited: 13 Sep 2006
  8. KolaKube

Ok I hear you. Im asking too many questions too oftern.

I do appreciate what your saying about searching etc but I also think finding things is easy whan you know what your looking for.

Your looking at someone who didnt even know the correct name for a Jigsaw a week ago so in fairness i heve searched alot and my posts are only the tip of the ice burg.
    I would hate you to think I just log on and ask a question without looking even though it obviously seems that way to a few of you.

My personal opinion is I never undertsnad people who say use the search myself. Dont get me wrong I understand WHY but I just wouldn't answer if I felt strongly about it. Im not saying this to ty and anger anyone as thats the last thing Id want. Ive learned so much here in such a short time.

I suppose when someones new at work and keen they never stop asking questions upon questions. I'd be a poor tutor if I said, get yourself down to the libary and look it up. The old sweats never ask questions, they've been there done that and bought the t shirt.
    I suppose im a very keen and thirrsty to learn noob then :hehe:

AJ - I cant find the link of suppliers you mentions, sorry fella.

I think a sticky for both 'where to get supplys from' and 'what tools and where and why us noobs need and why' would be a great idea.
    I don't think writing it huge letters like that will make it happen any quicker though. :D

Hope this post doesnt annoy anyone. thats certainly not my intention. Just standing up and being counted as thats the sort of person I am.

9. Nexxo

Saying "Use the search" is a form of help also, not an admonishment. ;)

10. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

There was a fault someware between my pc and here so that after i posted i went back to find the link missing along with my post.
    Sorry about that.

11. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Try using www.rswww.co.uk it radio spares and if you search for RS Stock no. 434-059 aluminum sheet, this might not be big enough for what you want, but it's a start.

Jimbo

12. KolaKube

No porbs AJ

Thanks Jimbo.

After all of this I think Im going to stick to acrylic for this, my first mod. Ive heard it paints quite good too if primed first.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Way more poetic than:
    As you are - I once was. As I am - you might become. Yoda to Luke.
    Good line Nexxo. I may have to print that out.
    John

14. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Why paint Acrylic when you can get it in almost any colour you want? Flourescent, Clear, Smoked, Metallic (I would have thought you could get metallic :confused: ), Plain... The list is endless.

15. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

More rewarding to get clear acrilyc or Lexan and give it a custom paint job :)

16. KolaKube

Exactly. And you of all people Bumfluff who said why get a case made when building it youself is more satisfying :eyebrow:

17. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Yes, but it is hardly cheating to acrylic already in the colour that you want.

Would you say it was cheating if you just got wire mesh rather than a sheet of metal and cutting holes in it? :D

18. KolaKube

No not at all mate, I agree with you.

But then I agree with if I design an alu case in getting a firm to help me with the bending of it ect.
    Something I concider to be skilled labour and without thousands of pounds worth of tools Id imagine a pro finnish would be difficult to acheive.
    You just seemed a little shocked when I suggested getting pro help from a local firm to do bits and bobs.
    I just thought your logic here was the absolute reverse bot of course I can see the differences.

The only thing im concerned about with painting the acrylic is how good the paint will acctually look.

Im using Lubik to construct the outer case so may just paint that and leave acrylic see through.

Have to see how it all goes with it been my first mod an all.

How thick should the arcylic be? 3mm or more??

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

For a case anything less than well reineforced 5mm will bend and shatter possibly (acrylic is not know for its anti shatter properties its rather stiff=shatter not bend) The nice thing about clear acrylic as with clear lexan RC car bodies is the fact that a good airbrusher can create dazzling effects using candy colors and other transparent solid backs colors. You should look it up crazy stuff has been done. Backlight...

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?