1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Origen X15e HTPC case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Aug 2006.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Having a screen upfront s a nice thing. Showing play stats and HDD/Temps yada yada yada all kind of stuff. But why touchscreen? I would never stand up go over to my TV Rack use the touchscreen to change something and then sit down again.

One more thing. You guys (BT Staff) say there is no Firewire. But i can see the connector right here. Or am i stupid?
    [​IMG]

2. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

d'oh! What a retarded miss - corrected, thanks.

3. closing

closing What's a Dremel?

I have one of these cases so...Um just a quick question. Howcomes a case with a TFT is reviewed against a case without a TFT, surely a better case to compare to is the silverstone LC18?

I have one of these myself, its handy not having to power up my massive plasma just to play some mp3's also with the handy addons I have its a great email checker, media server etc.

Just reading through, people are comparing a case with different features to another case with diff features, surely a like for like comparison.

Want to know how hard it is to fit watercooling.. how about this ;-)
    [​IMG] which was posted over at Specialtech

Incidentally I also had one of the Silvestone LC18 cases. Nice aluminum front but the buttons were wobbly, the rest of teh case was steel and it's has the massive gaping holes in the side. The zalman seems to be the same chassis as the X15 and again is steel on the side or back.

All said and done tho, valid points but its just narked to compare a case against something not in the same range tho

Some other points,
    Its distracting having a screen under a screen.
    True, thats why I have mine setup to either use plasma or the small screen, just using the remote :D

Want to see a model of the case without the touch screen, try looking here on the Specialtech website The OrigenAE X11

4. Maugwa

Maugwa What's a Dremel?

I have the Zalman and There really are a lot of simularities between the two cases. Major diffence is the TFT and Bulgin Power Switch, plus a couple buttons. I am very pleased with my Zalman, price was still a bit high, but not as high as it is for this case. TFT might just be a bit much for this case.

5. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Hi Mark @ SpecialTech,

Thanks for supplying the case for review. I can understand your points, but I disagree that the only way to validly test a HTPC case with LCD is against another HTPC case with LCD, especially not when the question of whether or not an LCD is useful is a valid question in itself. At the end of the day, bit's readers want to know the best HTPC case to buy and that's what we're trying to get at :)

Thanks for the pic of the case with watercooling, very interesting :)

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Why can't manufacturer use their own designs nowadays? It's obvious that both Zalman and Origen have used the same base model. I guess originality is dead in the water.

7. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i think they take the concept of "why re-invent the wheel" a little to far <_<

9. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

10. TMM

TMM Modder

The screen is rather useless. Its ironic that there will be a much larger screen above 99% of PCs using this case. I have a silverstone case for my HTPC and it has vents on the side, and it still runs fairly warm with way below top of the line hardware.

edit: oh i just notced that case doesn't come with PCI slot covers either. Those punch out metal things? thats appalling for that price..

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I think this is a nice case but not below your tv. Actually I think this case is thought to bee in a "media room". You know those home theater fans that have a separate little media room next to the big screen with racks of all their heightech exuipment. They often Have a large CRT or a TFT screen connected to their HTPC in the media room to be able to start movies etc. I think this case would be outstanding in one of those places....but for a normal TV-HTPC setup, I would like to see that TFT wireless (or possible with a long hidable cable). Like a LCD-touchscreen-remote. That way it would sertainly take the full advantage of the touch screen.......Hm.... Actually I'm planing of using that in my upcoming HTPC setup :p

/GNU

12. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

As I said before, the screen is pretty much useless if it's going to be below a TV; I really don't think that's the point of it. The beauty of the screen is that you have a completely self-contained PC with screen and all in a hi-fi-sized unit, meaning that you can run whatever software you want on it, whether it's compatible with an LCD or not.

My hi-fi PC is undoubtedly the coolest gadget in the house, and the one that always gets the most attention. I agree that the case is superfluous as a media centre PC under a TV, but it's unfair to write it off because of this, as there are other uses for which it's perfect.

13. closing

closing What's a Dremel?

Hi Will :D

Thats what forums are for, posting points of view across, in a world of potical correctness, long live forums :D I see where you and understand if you want to compare to a completly different case so how about we shoot you guys a X10 or an X11 for a fairer comparison? I think my point is would you compare a Thermaltake Tenor or something to the Zalman and such?

Zalman do a case with a TFT screen, wouldnt that be more of a fairer comparison, we honestly thought that it would be compared against items of similar spec. Your point is right about finding the best htpc case, however if the same theory was applied with hard drives then some 250gb drives outperfom 300gb drives (man thats a poor analogy lol)

Ahanix were part of the same people that started the cases off in the first place. They are the american devision basically (the whole story is more complicated that that tho :D)

You should have been at Cebit to see how many rebadged and how many REALLY badly designed HTPC cases there were and I wont even mention Jeantechs vision of a case with screen. I think it broke it as well lol trying to peer inside it.

The screen usefullness is always going to be open to debate. If you want to play mp3s and have it in your front room hooked up to a massive screen you have to turn it on etc etc. Good point about the PCI covers

14. tigermain

tigermain What's a Dremel?

Why is everyone complaining that the screen is useless?!? If you dont like the idea dont buy it nor comment on the point it has one!

The same company do a similar case without and so do many others, so whats the point on saying its over priced and wouldnt use the screen!?!!?

Yes its an expensive bit of kit and you could definately diy cheaper but how many people actually want to spend hours of their time cutting up top end cases and fitting 1/2 decent screens. This is the foundation of how most companies make money.

Its a feature of the design not something to be sneared at. If thats the case why not just buy yourselfs a 10quid beige desktop case from your local market!?? They've been around long before the phrase HTPC was even thought of

Its there to reach a different market segment, as you see some people have this case and are quite happy with it (and can afford it!!!!), and are making full use of the screen. Why is why I dont get why comparisons are being made with DIFFERENT products. Its there in its own rights give it credit for that.

15. Maugwa

Maugwa What's a Dremel?

Now that's an idea, incorporate a TFT remote. Maybe a future mod idea, never thought of that.

16. jimmysb

jimmysb What's a Dremel?

I think the screen is a great idea. I have my HTPC hooked directly to my projector in a dedicated media room. There are occasions when I do not want to fire up the projector to burn some DVDs or listen to music. The price is high but there now exists other options.

Ahinix is now offering a media case with a 7" touch screen for about $350. Check out the model Ahanix MCE701. At $350 the touch screen case makes pretty good sense.

Or if you want something a little more portable you can use a Lilliput 619GL-70NP touch screen. They even sell ones that mount in headrests!

I think the criticisms of the touch screen case are unwarranted. Part of the fun in playing around with media PCs is the "WOW" factor. It is all about entertainment in the end.

17. xaero7

xaero7 What's a Dremel?

the end of monitors as we know it? :p

18. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Tags: Add Tags