1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:UNMPC...a huuuge dual Stacker mod Apr10 Lazarus lives again.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lazarus Dark, 11 May 2006.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Why would you take a server to a LAN?

Either way, stackers are pretty big and heavy for a LAN but what the heck, that's why it has wheels!

2. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

i would take it to a lan as atm it has a 7900gt in it. because my new DFI mobo hasent arrived yet so im using my server for games

3. Boston Strangler

Boston Strangler What's a Dremel?

But, uh, if it's so huge - don't go to LAN's with it. It's a choice really.

4. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

i take my server to LANs....cuz im the guy with the game server and 24pt network switch.

anyway, this mod is lookin really good. im looking forward to seeing the result

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

fair nuf! I suppose a stacker is really handy if you want loads of hdds in your server!

6. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Actually i've never been to a lan party, I don't think there are many in this city, its very ghetto here.
    That said it won't be happening with this case. I have to turn it sideways just to get it through the door. I expect it to weigh 100+ pounds fully loaded.

but I have already thought about building my own laptop in a year or so to replace my current pos 5year old toshiba satellite, so i will have something portable and can use remote desktop to control UNMPC from far away or even just the couch

7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Hooooge!

On a side note, I never thought about making a case into an entertainment center. The reverse, and I thought about using a stacker as a table... but ... wow. This is grandiose defined.

8. shomann

shomann Minimodder

This project is what I would call "deliciously excessive". I like the plan of making it part of your entertainment center instead of just shoving a case into an entertainment center (like me ;) ).

I would go along the route of having a networked frontend/backend setup rather than put all my eggs in one HUGE basket, but to each his own - I am sure you have already thought of that anyways!

Good luck!

9. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Looking good so far, what are the plans for the front? Plexi? wood?

10. rbxgt2

rbxgt2 What's a Dremel?

HOLY $HIT!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:
    no need to ask, just amazing by looking at the first pic
    i cant believe its a dual stacker.
    nice

11. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Well, just so you know, I took most of the summer off since I haven't really enjoyed any summers since high school because of working. I took time off from this case, work, even electricity! (camping for a couple weeks :D ) But the last two weeks, I've started on some more work on the case and things are coming along. I'll post some picks soon. I plan to have the case finished (roughly) in time for the 2006 Cooler Master Casemod Competition which ends October 31. Though I'm not sure if the components will be running by then.

Ive got a grand or so (USD) saved up for components and heres a rough list for your drooling pleasure:
    Conroe E6600
    Asus mobo (p965, 975x or nf590- Im waiting for reviews of retail nf590)
    PC power&cooling 750w psu
    Corsair XMS2 ddr2-800 2GB
    XFX 7900GT

hmm... still not entirely decided yet actually. I will be using the stacker drive bay covers and stealthing dvd burner, etc. and I had been planning to use acrylic on the rest of the front, but now I am thinking about using modders mesh to blend with the drive bays. But for sure I am now ordering a half inch thick sheet of acrylic for the top and will cover the two sides with maybe eighth inch acrylic. The back will be mostly steel with lots of fans.

12. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Interesting deisng, good work so far, nice to see how this one turns out.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Looks great, I'll be checking back, keep up the good work, and w00t for stackers :D

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

cool i adore huge case dont know why im keeping close watch. drooling

15. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Thanx for the encouragement, it really motivates me to keep working. I'm excited myself to see how it turns out. Hopefully my ambition isn't overreaching my skill!

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Back in june before I took a break for the summer, I had tried to do some welding of a few parts, but had little success and mostly made a mess so before I did anything else, I had to spend a day or two just cleaning, sanding, and repairing places I screwed up trying to weld.

But here is some of what Ive been working on:
    [​IMG]
    On the top you see I cut some of the floor off and put in expanded steel for better ventilation (You'll see why I needed this when you see what I put there) and I put a piece of sheetsteel bent twice by hand over it.
    On the bottom you see I finished the rails for the dual slide in mobo trays and they work great. I also started on some of the back of the case.

[​IMG]
    I have the lcd mounts nearly complete and temporarily put the drive bezels in to see what its going to look like and its everything I hoped it would be! I'm now certain that I want to use acrylic for the front, but I'm going to cover it with mesh to match the bezels (the acrylic is mostly to help block some noise).

Next thing on my list to do is I have a stack of optical drives that I want to window and paint black. And maybe I will even try to window one of those old hdd's I have. So check back in a week!

17. Dark_Bone_04

Dark_Bone_04 What's a Dremel?

wow that real cool xD

18. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

MY GOD THATS A HUGE ah stacker or 2.
    Looks impressive so far.
    I think your right about having mesh at the front to tie in the with the front covers on the stacker bays.
    So where are you planning on storing it when its complete?
    Somewhere highly visible on display?
    Are you going to make a stand for it or use it as a table/base for something else? Maybe an entertainment unit as someone suggested?
    Irrespective of that can't wait for the next update.

-Belial

19. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Stackers rule!

nice one mate.. I'd do similar, but with 2 huge-ass cases, I'm not allowed... (her indoors says so)

watching this with interest :D

20. rbxgt2

rbxgt2 What's a Dremel?

more pics please. your driving me nuts......