1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belial Inside : Updated 20/09/2006 - More photos

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Belial669, 29 Aug 2006.

1. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Ok time for some more work to be done.
    Whilst its not going to be used directly in this mod, i needed to fabricate a new psu mount plate to free up my current one so it could be painted and that was toaday's labours as follows.

Take 1 chieftec psu mount plate.
    [​IMG]

Take 1 spare piece of aluminium left laying about after my carpc was built.
    [​IMG]

Trace the mount plate onto said aluminium
    [​IMG]

It was hard to see and would be harder once i started cutting so i outlined it.
    [​IMG]

Weapon of choice - Bosch Jigsaw
    [​IMG]

Switched it to a slightly (well very) worn blade
    [​IMG]

After trimming the outside
    [​IMG]

Started cutting the inside after using the dremel to make a starting slot for the blade.
    [​IMG]

Centre mostly cut out
    [​IMG]

Triming the edges on the inside into boxes in the corners which can then be hand filed.
    [​IMG]

I then attack them with the dremel cutting disc
    [​IMG]

To make them easier to file
    [​IMG]

After filing the corners using the rat tail file
    [​IMG]

After drilling the mounting holes and filing the edges reasonably straight.
    [​IMG]

And the end product in use
    [​IMG]

Thus freeing up my original plate to be painted.
    So on with the painting i took the oppurtunity to also recoat the fan mounts.
    And to etch prime the plate.
    [​IMG]

After waiting an hour for the etch primer to dry i recoated with black.
    [​IMG]

So thats it for todays modding.
    But here are some pics of the reason for my lack of time to spend on the case.
    We have a preliminary round of our robot mouse maze design project tomorrow so i've been spending inordinate amounts of time simulating and soldering circuits etc.
    SO here are some gratuitous photos.
    [​IMG]
    Oh god the sensor wires AHHHH.
    And another view
    [​IMG]

This is about 2 hours later after some more soldering as wires broke, and afte r drilling some holes in the base for the floor sensors.
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic of the underside showing the sensors to the right and left as well as the offset front sensor, And our front wheel and geerbox.
    [​IMG]

So yeah sorry people for the lack of updates, more should be forthcoming soon as the workload is backing off at uni.

Cheers
    -Belial

2. Belial669

Installation day cometh.

So yes its time to install the hardware, but first i needed to cable wrap the fans and some of the other miscillaneous cables for lighting and such.
    So here goes the wrapping of the scythe 120mm fans.

Take 1 scythe fan
    [​IMG]

Some left over cable wrap
    [​IMG]

Screwdrivers specifically the small flathead to facilitate removal of the pins from the header.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then wrapped the header pins together using electrical tape to make it easier to get the wrap over.
    [​IMG]

Halfway through the first one.
    [​IMG]

And the first one complete with heatshrink and the second fan to do.
    [​IMG]

2 scythe fans now sleeved.
    [​IMG]

Heatshrink with the headers reconnected
    [​IMG]

Enough of that now its on to moutning the fans.
    The front one is mounted just using the standard supplied OEM screws
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top blowhole is a slightly different matter.
    First off i returned the rubber edging i'd used previously as the store i got it from no longer has it.
    [​IMG]

I was going to use the same screws as before just a rounded head self tapping screw.
    But decided instead to go for some black allen heads instead.
    So i went down to the local bolt shop and purchased some along with washers and nyloc nuts for them.

Only problem they're a 5mm bolt, and the fan holes are around 4.8mm.
    With some effort this one went it this far.
    [​IMG]

And so this was employed to ease the situation
    [​IMG]

I test drilled one hole out to 5.5mm to make it an easy fit.
    [​IMG]

As you can sit it worked so i did the rest.

So i got out the tools for assembly.
    A 4mm hex-head allen key, and my little sidchrome socket set for the nuts.
    [​IMG]

And here are the results of the mounting
    [​IMG]
    And from above, sorry about the pic it came out quite dark so i adjusted the contrast so the screws are visible.
    [​IMG]

Well thats it for the fan installation.
    Cheers
    -Belial

3. Belial669

Hardware Installation

I started off putting back in the rear fan mounts
    [​IMG]
    Looking quite better than the OEM purple.

Next up was the PSU my Silverstone ST60F modular 600W. with the freshly dried psu mount plate.
    [​IMG]

Ready to accept the motherboard.
    On a side note i used my mini 4mm socket and wrench to tighten up the mounts so they wont be coming undone anytime soon.
    [​IMG]

With the board installed.
    [​IMG]
    The CNPS i think offsets nicely against the black.

Then it was time to installed the hdd cage.
    This view is fron the underneath of the case which was proped up on my dead hdd and screw pack to make getting to the nuts easier.
    [​IMG]
    With the first 2 tightened i just flipped it on its back to tighten the rest.
    [​IMG]
    One of the better things to come out of this cage placement is that i didnt have to remove the feet and they can still be shifted out for extra support.

The hdd cage in place
    [​IMG]

Next i got the front panel to re-attach of the other case.
    Somewhere along the way the inverter for the CCFL had come loose so i hot melt glued it back in place on the inside of the front panel.
    [​IMG]

And with the front panel in place
    [​IMG]

I got into some cabling at this point and installed the dvd drive as well as the fan controller and started to run cables.
    This view is from the alternate side. Showing the connections to the 120mm fans, the molex for the front ccfl as well as the cable tied power and data cables for the sata drives.
    [​IMG]

I completed tidying up the cables and moved on to silencing the noisy as all heck XFX 7900GT
    [​IMG]

In this case i am still undecided on the right fan for it so i stole the VF-700 ALCU off my old 6600GT
    [​IMG]

Naked 6600GT
    [​IMG]

And the 7900GT laid bare
    [​IMG]

At this point the camera batteries died so while they were charging i put the fan on the card and installed it.
    And to be honest i cant be bothered removing it at the moment as its now in use for posting and such. :D

So here are the photos of the system complete at this point in use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close up of the graphics card and hdd bay
    [​IMG]

And some dark shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So thats it for now.
    I didnt sleeve the rear 80mm fans as i ran out of wrap to do it with, the same reason for the ccfl not being sleeved.
    On the to do list also is to get some more sticky backed velcro for mounting the CPU fan speed controller as well as the CCFL splitter and the inverted as well as the 2nd CCFL.

So any comments, queries or suggestions are welcome.
    Cheers
    -Belial

4. Belial669

Small update today just a couple more photos.
    WIth the sidepanels now attached.
    [​IMG]

As its pretty obvious from this photo i still need to clean up the front panel.
    [​IMG]
    I've always had trouble cleaning the sidepanls due to the finish on them without leaving a residue if anyone has any suggestions i'd welcome them.

Here is a view of the top.
    [​IMG]

The next question of course is can anyone identify the chip that i have stuck to the front panel?

Here is a close up of the top fan position.
    [​IMG]
    If i was to do it again (which i will be with the next case :D) i'd probably shift it further back to make access to the top bay easier.

And here is a pic of the rear fan setup.
    [​IMG]

What i love about my new setup is the lack of noise its darn near silent and the difference between having the 80mm and 120mm fans on or off is so little in ambient noise its imperceptable.

So thats it for today and pretty much for the rest of the week.
    Mainly as, as of friday i'll be headed into the forest north east of melbourne and away from my net connection (NOOOO).
    The reason being that i'm a volunteer offical for the Rally of Melbourne and will be up there working on a rally stage for the next couple of days.
    http://www.rallyofmelbourne.com.au

Cheers
    -Belial

5. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Turned out realy nice! Good job mate..