1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dodgy 7900GTX?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mephi, 20 Sep 2006.

1. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

I got a 7900GTX from overclockers about a week ago, and I think it's having some troubles.

So far this has happened once in Oblivion, and every time I run the CS:Source stress test at 1280x1024, never at 1024x768. I never had any problems with the 6600GT that the 7900GTX replaced.

The screen pauses for a while (between 0.5 and 15 seconds) then starts again as if nothing has happened. After doing this a couple of times (Or if you quit out of the program) the screen starts to flicker and goes on and off for some time. It's still possible to move the mouse and control the PC, but everything takes an age to happen.

I've swapped the PSU for a 550W Hiper that I had in a server, and I've ordered a new northbridge heatsink, due to the old one being completly covered by the GTX heatsink, anything else I should check before I RMA this board?

Mephi

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Hi there, im not to sure about your problem, but before you RMA it, try your Nvidia Drivers, http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/drivers.html have a go with the latest and even try the beta drivers, if that fails, and if someone else hasnt posted any thoughts, RMA the card to OCUK, hope this helps

Sam

3. J-Mag

J-Mag What's a Dremel?

What temps are you getting? It sounds like the card is throttling...

4. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

Its temps are 48c idle, 55c load. Or at least they were 55c when it crashed in the CS stress test.

With the chipset (NF4 Ultra, DFI board) idling at 53c I'm a little worried about that, which is why I'm replacing it's heatsink.

I had the latest drivers last week, but I've not tried any beta ones. I'll give those a go and report back.

Cheers,

Mephi

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

The temps seem fine, dont take off the cooler if you RMA it. I think it maybe a driver issue or u have a borked card. my 7800GTX is at 51c idle at the mo.

6. J-Mag

J-Mag What's a Dremel?

Yeah definitely not temp related as I have seen my 7900gtx hit 70+C before during some of the hotter summer days.

Have you tried any of the 9X series drivers, I have observed there is no real need for the 9X drivers unless you have a 7950, want to play HD/BR discs, or are too lazy to deal with new SLI profiles...

7. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

I'm currently running the latest 9x series driver (91.47, I'm running XP64) but for some reason the properies pannel is reporting 92.91, so I'm going to do a re-install and see what happens.

8. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

The driver re-install didn't make a difference, I'll try dropping back to a 8x series one tomorrow, just in case.

Mephi

9. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to say thanks for the help guys, I eventually managed to test it in another PC, and it fell over in that too. Then I put my 6600GT back in here, and that runs fine.

So it's RMA time...

Tags: