1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Media PC Reborn - Wall Mount Monitor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 16 Sep 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

So I have gone off to college, but before leaving I finally got my mediapc back together and functioning with a new power supply Thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=117938

Since then, It is not longer connected to the larger tv, or do I have a very good camera, its monitor is now an old viewsonic ve150m not a very good monitor, and the camera used is now a motorola razr v3c, equally, not a very good camera. All pictures are in 640x480

First some back ground, this LCD (viewsonic ve150m) takes an input of 12v DC, unlike most panels these days that take 120v directly in and then convert it as required inside the panel, this one 'had' an external brick, where it went is inconsequential

I hate things that are not integrated anyway, Im the kind of person that puts the wireless keyboard and mouse reciever inside of the computer. also the reciever for the remote has been put inside my mediapc just as it should.

So I had very few options when it came to where to build a new power brick for my panel. or If I was going to at all. Then came the idea, of course 12v input to monitor, 12v rail on my power supply in my media pc. First I had to make sure the monitor would not cause the computer to just shut off when turned on or off, or on startup. Using my voltmeter and a little time I determined it to be well within the power supply's specifications. I also made the call to tap into the power coming from the atx12v connector on this power supply, it probably will not make a difference as I am 90% sure it does not have more than 1 12v rail, but still to make use of a connector that otherwise goes tucked away in media pc, since its an old amd athlon 1.4 it does not need it.

With that in mind I also needed to create a way to connect the computer to the monitor for power. So I opened up my drawer and happened to find two of the DIY barrel plug heads from the local RadioShack, It fit the jack on my panel, as well as the bolt on barrel jack I got when I got the plugs. Added some wire into the mix and I came out with the cable needed to power the monitor

This all really works out well, since when the computer is off, it turns the panel off too, and as soon as the computer is on, the panel comes to life. Saves Power as the panel isnt sitting in standby. saves a power brick, saves an extra plug on my power strip (very expensive realestate)

Pictures below:

First some pictures of my media pc itself.
    [​IMG]

This is a pretty important shot showing the back as it is now. The silver little Jack is where you plug the cord to power my monitor. Another oddity is the remote fPanel jack I added at construction, its the Serial looking jack next to the vga plug. It has the wiring running to it for the power switch and the power and hd led's. It would let me have a way to force shut it down via a cable if it were to go under. Im a very lazy person. so not having to get up, is a big plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures of the updated wiring for the new Power jack.
    [​IMG]

Also is the wiring for the power switch I added, Its quite useful If you need to shut it off without holding button for 5 sec after a lockup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Purple and Orange wiring is the wire I have used to connect to the atx12v plug from the power jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wiring is somewhat messy, but I have taken alot of care to get it somewhat okay, There is 3x that much under things so the rest is out of the way.

[​IMG]

Now for the meaty stuff, the new wall mount monitor, Its crude but works, I mounted it using some fairly thick wire kinda just tied to the back of the monitor. It works fine and no signs of it failing. I will mount it properly one day, but its not a foremost concern at the moment.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

Action shot of bit-tech on the monitor, its not terribly crummy.

[​IMG]

These are as it can be seen from my bed, which doubles as my couch. The viewing angle up and down is not so good (vertical) but the picture side to side is just fine, so its no different from either side of my bed (horizontal)

[​IMG]

Now for the cable that connects the panel to my computer:

[​IMG]

Like Described, its just a double ended barrel plug cord.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are of the cable actually connected, just in case it does not make perfect sense. One end to monitor dc in, one end to computer dc out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly some action shots: (1 point to name that movie)

[​IMG]

Media Center booting up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this inspires anyone, trust me I know how crude alot of this is, but hey it works. It doubles as my tv with the tuner. record pause live tv, the works. It draws its media right off my desktop with over 250gb of video and 57gb of music.

The case is a little crummy, but its taken a long time to get it how I like it. So if nothing judge the creativeness, not the application of my dremel to sheet metal.

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  2. Magnum

Magnum What's a Dremel?

Nice media pc you have there. I personally like the sheet metal touch. The intergration you have put into the box makes it super portable and less accessories to carry around. The display you have for your tv may look like crap. but I think it makes the custom case and modifications complete in your setup. Very nice. Almost makes me want to build one.

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

It would be perfect if you put a picture frame around the screen, so it looks less out of place.

4. Warrior_Rocker

Its in the works actually, I need a frame for it somehow, just the case the panel came in was no option it was fugly and beige, The problem in mounting this little number is that its not as thin as I would prefer, the bulge in the back for the inverters, power management, and vga interface board make it a little thick.

Id like to just cut a whole in the wall for it, though I am sure the dorm people would not be as impressed as I would be.

Edit:
    I forgot you were the one with the picture frame pc. yours is looking good.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You could put the display module in one frame, and the controller/inverterboards in a frame just below it :)

Oh, and the movie is "hackers". (Angelina Jolie doesn't really look too good in that move.. :/ ) It's the scene where Emanuel quotes Ozzy. (wait! This isn't woodshop-class?!)

6. Warrior_Rocker

I already looked into relocating them, id have to extend about 40 odd wires for the lcd interface, and then a few for the inverters, problem is that when you exend the wire that runs to a cathode it gets less and less bright. id rather live with knowing its perfect how it is, than messing up permanetly the lcd interface and inverter stuff.

7. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

"Of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most"

goodjob nub, mount it to the frame and just use standoffs to keep the frame off the wall? /make a box around the back of it

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I've actually used a shadowbox for my Picture Frame, because it extends back far enough that a box isn't needed to make the screen sides invisible. Just cut a mat for it and put the LCD inside, clip on the back and your done! It would be perfect, and wall mounted shadowboxes are fairly easy to find at a local craft store.

9. Warrior_Rocker

Okay, So I am hearing that I need a frame, Would like some comments on the work I did more on the electronics side, but hey I would like the opinion on the original face plate for the panel, I saved all the parts just in case.

The more minimalist perhaps different frame bareness:
    [​IMG]

Or the ugly beige plate:
    [​IMG]

By the way 2 points if you can name that episode and or number.

10. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

It's the episode w\the elephants duh.

i like it w\o the case, put saran wrap on it ;) lawl lawl

11. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

oml, HACKERS the film.
    thats the best and your setup is cool.
    I need to get myself a TFT

12. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

frame+ somehow hide the wires it would be awesome i like this one alot

13. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

dont frame it computer stuff always looks more high tech when there is no case on it.
    i realy like it :)

14. Warrior_Rocker

Small update, I replaced the screws that attached the back 40mm fan, they were quite fugly in person, as they were the kind of screws that need to be countersunk, and I didnt feel like countersinking screws like that. So I used some of the same bolts I used to attach the fram together, Its much cleaner, and looks less out of place.

I was also considering putting in a vfd or other some display on the front, however I was concerned that since it already looked clean on the front save the hole for the IR reciever. Also I was considering painting it some color, thoughts or suggestions on that? or either?

15. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

To make that computer look even better, how about running some conduit along the wall, to stop the wires looking messy?

Apart from that, the monitor looks better naked, and tis a very nice case :thumb:

16. Warrior_Rocker

Yea, I was thinking about some sort of moulding or conduit that would hide the wires out of the wayish, Just have not got around to finding the solution I liked on that. Also I am not sure if the dorm I am in allows for that kind of thing to be put on the wall, it would need to be removeable some how. without damaging the walls.

17. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Ahhhh use double sided tape...it's a pain to remove, but it comes out eventually, and is better than drilling holed in the wall

18. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

If you want to keep the frame perhaps paint it another color? if there is enough slack it would look better if you ran the wires along the underside of the lcd then down against the door molding, then you could even get a white/beige wire conduit to run along that door molding or if you dont have slack, straight down from the middle of the monitor, should help improve the look and keep the wires out of the way as well

19. Aglar

Aglar What's a Dremel?

If you want to use the LCD's original frame, I'd suggest changing the color with vinyl dye. It soaks into the plastic, which makes it look like it came that way from the factory. Much better look than paint, IMO. You can buy it in many places, including Walmart.

However, I'm a real fan of how LCDs look without the casing. There's a great project that shows how nice a bare LCD can look with a bit of work (I'd avoid the lights in your case, might be distracting when you're watching movies). Still, a bit of paint and plexi and it'll look great.

http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/transtft/index_eng

20. Warrior_Rocker

Good find over there at metku.net I may end up doing something similar. Though I always have bad experiences with plexi, though maybe if I take my time I could produce something similar. The only problem I have with putting plexi infront would be glare. Wouldn't since the plexi is well shinier it would produce more glare than say the almost frosted look of the lcd panel itself.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :dremel: