1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe joins anti-Vista sentiment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 22 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Im not worried about Symantec, load of rubish anyway. MS better not leave IE7 and WMP11 out of the european releases of Vista. At the end of the day, Microsoft can do what they like when it comes to vista, people should come to relase that.

Sam :D

3. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

One of the features that MS got right about Vista and Adobe wants it removed. I think it is a good thing to have open XML directly intergrated as adobe reader always seemed clunky to me.

I really hope the EU don't start removing all of Vistas intergrated features. What I really want to know is how the EU expects users to access the internet without a browser. How am I ment to download Firefox?

4. orb

orb satisfying.

From a CD?

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

The thing with Symantec seems to me that they cant make their AV software work without direct access ot the kernel.

If this patchcard stops things interatcing with the kernel why is there a need for an AV ot scan it?

Kimbie

6. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I understand Adobe's problems with Vista, but being able to write to XML format would be a great help, since most people haven't got the money to buy Acrobat Pro.

As for Symantec, they can f*** off, it's the worst antivirus software out there anyway. Isn't the fact that Vista won't allow access to the kernel a good thing, since it'll make it a bit more secure?

7. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

Not to mention slow at loading, resource hogging, and a little crash prone in my experiences. :idea:

8. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

To order the CD you have to get online. I don't think you can buy any browser in retail stores now so unless you download your browser of choice, put it on a CD and install it like that then you're stuffed. It just creates unneccessary hassle.

9. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

Symantec Antivirus is one of the BEST out there. Nortan Antivirus is a peice of crap though.

And as far as Adobe goes, I too would like to see an open XML included. However it seems that everything MS does is made very half-arsed. Ooooo MS Paint how nice. MS IE peice of crap also.

Windows is a descent OS that is easy to install and use, however I still think that the best thing MS has done is create a LOT of jobs for techincal support people. I am not excited at all for Vista as I think XP is a good OS. However I had these same feelings for 95, 98, and XP, so I guess I will just have to see how this ends up.

I am guessing that for symantec to release a LEGAL copy of their software it will have to avoid direct access to the kernal. However I can GUARANTEE there will be security holes in the Vista Kernal that Hackers / Spyware / etc will take advantage of. You may now be stuck with a problem without a solution. God save us from Vista.

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Same to Adobe.

Adobe and Symantec can either diversify or die.
    I don't want to have to buy Vista without some of the features just so that Adobe and Symantec can continue to rip us off.

And as for forcing M$ to sell Vista without IE, that can get to f*** too.
    I don't wanna have to muck about having to get a friend to download FF for me onto a CD/memstick just so I can get online.
    Much prefer to use IE to visit www.getfirefox.com and then use FF from then on.

Having no browser right out of the gate is just gonna be a major hassle IMO.
    IE7 aint so bad anyway and if it's a bit more secure than IE6, or should I say a LOT more secure than IE6 (it would need to be) then who knows, they may start gaining back the market share that Firefox has been stealing?

That just forces Mozilla to really pull the stops out. :)

11. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If Adobe are so worried, why haven't they sought to shutdown the myriad of free PDF creators that exist? If all you want is to convert your Word doc to a PDF, don't bother spending a few hundred quid on Acrobat, get a copy of Primo PDF (or similar) for nothing!

At the current rate I might just end up buying a US copy of Vista. Exchange rates should make the pricing favourable too.

12. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Adobe need to grow up - although they may be having a major source of revenue taken away from them, they need to fight fire with fire, not fire with lawsuits, as their claim will just burn.

If MS is incorperating their version of writer into Office, then what can they do? If they offer a similar product to Adobe, for free, or next to nothing extra with their latest version, then there are 2 things, either MS are doing it at a loss, and is doing it to oust Adobe from the market OR - Adobe are overcharging for a product that could be given away for free, or a lower fee than it is now.

Ive no idea what the price of adobe writer is, i imagine like all other adobe products its a few hundred quid, is a program that is basically word, that saves in another format and reduces the size worth 500 quid of your money? I dont think so, if MS price a office with a similar program included for say 50$ more, then good on them, i always thought writer was exspensive so why shouldnt they have rivals ?

13. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I agree. Thank God. I f***n hate adobe acrobat related software.

14. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

Me and a friend of mine talked about that a while ago and decided that it wasn't really practical. An extended version of Windows Update (which runs in an application now) could include all the free extras you get with Vista, which I think is being done with the Vista Ultimate extras as well.

15. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I think this is pretty stupid, what with the EU demanding that MS remove parts of the OS...
    But, wont you just be able to go onto MS.com and download all the missing components?

I would imagine that MS wouldnt hold out on the EU users who have crippled software.. unless the EU versions are also cheaper b/c they dont have the extra software...

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I don't plan to ever let Vistas touch one of my computers, but if I do I'm going to try to get the European version with as much of the crap stripped off as I can. How do you download without a browser? Same way you download drivers for an unsupported network card, on another computer and then put them on a disk. This isn't hard.

17. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

beats me, the EU are bunch of mealy mouthed faggots anyway, i hate the lot of them and their medaling. MS actually does something good and useful and that shows progress and the chimps in the EU are worried that a crap 3rd party antivirus company wont get any business?

what a joke, if they want business they better get their butts off their seats and get working to make something better than MS has produced.

jus leave it to pc world to flog their **** to clue-less buyers

i hope it doesnt happen, the EU just wanna make everyone stay put rather than progress.

oh you cant have an internet in case you look at something
    oh you cant have the start button either in case you try to launch a program or something
    oh you wont be having any jazzy 3d aero glass graphics..... might put your eyes out

EU can DIAF

18. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Problem is there are so many .pdf files out there, you need summat to read them.

Anyways, i'm sick of all this "be nice to other companies" crap. Real people, intelligent people get the good stuff by word of mouth, and being willing to try other products. not being forced to try via some govermental rubbish.

19. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

arghhhh!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

I get so sick of this kind of crap! If MS want to give us free features like a browser, a media player, a pdf maker of some kind, an xml maker, hell even a virus, adware, spam and popup program, thats fine. Its their OS its their choice.

Now if they tell companies not to bundle other software, or make it impossible to remove (i.e. IE!) then that needs looking at, but bundling things is great.

Apple provide all sorts of crap with there OS, Itunes, video and sound editing programs, not a sniff from the EU. MS provide a f***ing help file and thats wrong because it disadvantages "learn windows in 20 days" books!!!!!

arghhhhhh!!!

*rant over*

20. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

So they want microsoft to be in trouble for trying to make a product too good? Or is it because something better has crossed the noses of symantec and adobe... so now they have a sense for microsofts blood.

I am sure the makers of horse drawn buggies were none too happy when the automobile came around. I am glad to see open XML support, and protection for the kernel integrated. The world will not stop because adobe and symantec think it should. Plus I am sure just about everyone has had bad experiences with pdf's.

Personally I cannot say that symantec is completely a terrible product. Products like Drive Ghost have really held up well. The antivirus software is not all that terrible anyway. Nothing can really protect you from not being a smart internet user. Not even firefox.

Tags: Add Tags