1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Betty - Updated

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeroenotje, 15 Sep 2006.

1. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

You should, and do it good. Because even if the monitor doesn't short circuit anything, that amount of voltage will create an electromagnetic field, and can cause electric transference that could affect your components.

2. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

*Gulp*

Doesn't sound good at all. I guess there's only one way to find out. Just build it :) . And if it doesn't work. Yeah, that is sad, but hey, I can say I had fun building it :) .

3. Jeroenotje

Hey. It has been a while. To bad I didn't get a lot of reactions. Is it because my project is boring? Or because of my bad English? Please tell me. Writing my updates in English is a lot of work. When nobody reacts I get the feeling that it is useless to post in English. Oh, well. Just let's Update this worklog :) .

Casemodding has a lot of different sides. One of them is the workshop you are working in. For example, my working table broke down. I can't work on a table with only three legs. So, this is how I fixed it :) :
    I putted the table upside down on the floor. Here's the leg:
    [​IMG]
    An other leg, how it SHOULD be ;) .
    [​IMG]
    A part of the bolt is still in there. I'm going to drill all true the leg and I will put a bigger bolt just right true it. I guess that WILL fix it :) .
    [​IMG]
    Done! Turned in a few small screws from the side for some extra stability.
    [​IMG]
    Table back in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile... I made a design for the shields behind the CRT. I came upwith something like this.
    [​IMG]

4. Jeroenotje

I had lot's of stuff to do. At the back of the front panel there are some notches. I filed down some holes at the plate of the CRT to make the front panel fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounting the plate was my next point. This is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    Two small pieces of a angled profile. They are mounted by a big hole at the side, with a bolt an a nipple. Because the hole is to big, I can adjust the placing. I couldn't get a nice picture of it :(.
    [​IMG]
    I finally had four same sized screws. I just wanted screws with flatted heads. I found some, so I flatted out the holes.
    [​IMG]
    OMG! These screws didn't head the right bolt-tread. So stupid. And I couldn't find the right tap, to tap it down. So I putted the old screws back in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, I needed that DVD-burner ;) .
    [​IMG]
    I do already have a design for the full front panel. You'll find out later.

Time for more small things at the case. I improved the holder for the junction box. I tapped all holes, and putted some bolts at the side, so that the holder can't move back or fore ward.
    [​IMG]

Now, the hardest part! I need to find the right place for the PCB of the CRT. Underneath the top of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How about this?
    [​IMG]
    Above it.
    [​IMG]
    So, I am still not sure about it. You could say what you think is the best, if you would like.

Again, this is not me begging you guyz to Reply. I just want to get the feeling that my worklog make any sense.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I love my Chieftec, and i love Chieftec mods....

I would still have replace the CRT for a %" LCD or the Like....

6. Jeroenotje

Why an LCD? A CRT is so much cooler I think. The word "vintage" should be introduced in the casemod-scene. Don't you think this is a good way to do that? I mean, lots of people have a 5" PSOne color lcd in theire case. That is beautifull indeed! But why shouldn't I try something else. I think trying other things gives a casemod more style :) . And yes, a CRT gives much more risks. I'm not afraid of that. I just want to have fun building it, and I want it to look cool.

Oh, and yes. Chieftecs are lovely cases :) .

7. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

this is a really good mod with a very different twist good work

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

lovely work so far dude, love the monitor, keep us updated!

9. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

I like the idea of the CRT, it's something different, maybe you could emulate an old Mac on it?!

PS, cheers for the effort of using English, I'm too stupid to learn another language!

10. Jeroenotje

Thanks. Allright, I think I will keep updating in English :) . I've got tons and tons of things I want to build and show to you guyz.

@ Just Jon: Why a Mac? Haha. Explain. I think I'm going to let a slideshow of "Casemod in Progress" pics run on it. Or like someone else said the videoclip of Black Betty. That song has nothing to do with the name of the case. But it is just a cool video anyway. Or just wrong? Oh well, better suggestions are welcome ;) .

Go and watch it :rock: HAHAHA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPhaHPeOcRw

11. Slakker

Slakker What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to see how this turns out with that CRT up and running!

Keep up the good work, and keep it posted!

12. Culito

Culito What's a Dremel?

Great case so far. I also love vintage technology.
    And don't sweat too much about that crt voltage. I work on those everyday, usually 19" ones. Those tubes hold quite a bit of voltage, but the smaller ones drain quickly. Still, use a screwdriver with a ground wire attached to it. Slide it under the cap to drain the voltage before you pop it off. Done.
    And the transformer doesn't hold voltage. Only the tube, and maybe a couple of capacitors on the board. Just don't be stupid, keep away from the line voltage, and you'll be fine!!
    Oh, and that ram jam video is so horrible it's awesome!

13. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Well after taking my own 5.5 monochrome tv apart a little the sticker rates it at 8kV and the unit contained 0 8kV capacitors or any array that could hold that voltage. So it will no be dangerous when off. Bigger units probably will have caps.

14. ElectricEnergy

ElectricEnergy What's a Dremel?

I've been reading this thread and it is a very interesting project! However, I noticed that it doesn't seem like you guys have been discharging the Flyback transformers correctly. They do not need caps to store the energy. You NEED to discharge it after having it turned on when you work on it. If you don't you could easily hurt yourself.

I have a friend who got shocked by a 30" CRT style TV. I was watching when it happened and he was stuck in place for a good five seconds while it discharged through him. He was fine, but he went home after that because it made him feel really sick. It ended up going through one arm, out the other, and then THROUGH the insulation on the main power cord to ground.

The proper procedure to discharge the flyback is simple. Test leads are very handy for this. Just clip one end to any ground on the TV(Preferably one of the metal ground plates around the back of the tube if it has any) and the other end to a screwdriver. Push the screwdriver under the rubber suction cup on the power lead for the flyback and wiggle it around untill it touches the conductor. You should hear a small snap when it happens. After this is done the flyback is totally harmless and will not shock you untill you plug it in again.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass here. I just want to make sure everyone is safe when working on their mods. :D

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I did not notice that this was already pointed out... Doh.

15. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

good job man, i cantwait to see it finished, and you say your only less than 10% done! subscribed.

16. hydro_electric_655

My theory is if it doesn't discharge through a properly used discharge device connected to a ground then it won't discharge through you. TO me it doesn't make sense that you would need it on when you discharge it. I wouldn't take it apart without discharging it first but if you make contact and nothing happens discernable from the norm nothing will happen. If you lucky you will make a fun little crack noise from the high voltage arc. These little guys operate on much lower 8kV low power formers.

17. ElectricEnergy

ElectricEnergy What's a Dremel?

It doesn't need to be on when its discharged. It's just the safe procedure. You can also pull it off, and discharge it while your holding on to the rubber boot, it doesn't really make a difference. If the CRT was recently powered up though, it will shock you if you manage to complete a circuit with the flyback transformer that includes you. If it didn't discharge through the screwdriver and lead, then it wasn't charged to begin with, so its not a danger.

This isn't theory, I've seen it happen, and it was apparently extremely painful. Just trying to offer some helpful advice.

18. Snipes0990

Snipes0990 What's a Dremel?

awesome work and very original, this is really goin to be a cool mod project to follow, also what are you planning on displaying on your crt, system info or playlists?

19. hydro_electric_655

no doubt thousands of volts isn't fun 300 through me by way of camera flash cap through a piece of my finger hurt.

20. Jeroenotje

Still sounds scary, doesn't it? kV's and stuff. I used an isolated screwdriver to pull the suction cap of. No sparks or anything.

None of them. Haha, how sounds that? Systems specs or playlists are just to boring, we need some action in this casemod :) . Videoclips, crazy pictures or maybe pacman?

And please keep following this thread! I've got much to show you guyz. There's another crazy update comming! :)