1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Server video card...

Continued from the last post...

Ok, so I figured out a bit too late that Matrox G550 doesn't support 1680x1050 via DVI which doesn't go with my plans, hmm, let's swap that card.

Luckily I had my old Gainward GeForce 3 card in stock :hehe: Only problem was that the fan was almost dead and made a b***h of a noise. I decided to buy a Zalman VGA heatsink for it. It was about the only choice if I wanted the card silent cause it has VIVO feature and the card isn't quite like a "stock" GeForce 3...well you'll see.

[​IMG]

Here's the Zalman heatsink I bought.

[​IMG]

And here's the card in all its glory. You can see the weird "add-on" card which causes so much trouble.

[​IMG]

Well I found out that it wasn't the only thing causing problems. Also the ram heatsinks were in the way, but hey, it's a GeForce 3 which is going to be strictly in desktop use, does it really need those ramsinks...not! Also applied a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 on the core.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But just barely :hehe:

[​IMG]

Finally here's the wire sleeved and the card is ready to be installed in the case. No pics about that though...

Okay, that's about it for tonight, there's still some odds and ends to take care of. I'll paint the front ports silver to match the case and also I'll have to make somekind of stealthplate for the Drive-A-Ways so that they don't show like they do now. Otherwise the server is quite ready, unless I'll think of something cool to do with it...

Janne

2. customh

customh conflagration.

sweet, lemme see orange though!!!

3. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

mmmm orange stealth on the card would be hawt.
    I also love your new feet, its very sexc :worried:

4. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Nice work again Darkened...
    I wonder if you're gonna place a fan in the top or anything, and what your plans for the sidewindow is.

Petter

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Kinda "too nice" to be a server :eek: I don't dare to upload a image showing mine but it definitely has no custom cable sleeving'n'stuff. Only dust there :) I've been planning to upload it but.. But your sure looks cool, I'll follow that one too ;)

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey guys and thanks again for your comments/support.

@huren

There's no need for an orange stealth, if you didn't notice, the card was for my server, not OM. Putting a GeForce 3 in Orange Monster would soo destroy all cool-factor that it has :hehe:.

@chase

I assume you are talking about OM. For that, there's not going to be any fans on the "roof" of the case and the window is going to be unveiled soon...

@jipa

Well I do know that servers shouldn't look like mine, they are supposed to be dirty and loaded with really old hardware (which it kind of is :D). Well I had this case and the "premods" ready so this is how it turned out. And on top of that, you remember that I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to things like this...

I'll update you on OMs videocard later today. Stay tuned.

Janne

7. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

i love your rug.. that case still rocks the pants of spongebob. From neoki. and big Al

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

nice and clean case. are you gonna make any windows on this 1?
    i got the same PSU btw, its ok :p

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey guys, keep those comments rolling.

@Neoki

Thanks for the compliments and I do like the rug too, a b***h to keep clean though :hehe:

@ssR

Nope, there's not going to be any cutting for this case. It's purpose is just to look sleek and do its job, no big mods there. And anyways there's a sound dampening material which covers the whole sidepanel so cutting a window isn't a good idea. The PSU is quite good, no Tagan or PC Power&Cooling, but does it job well.

Next a small update on OM...

Janne

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Orange Monster video card...

Ok, as promised (once I made it in time :hehe:) a smallish update on the video card cooling for OM.

When I got the Zalman heatsink for my old GeForce 3 I also picked up this:

[​IMG]

It's a Revoltec Graphic Freezer Pro. I don't know, there's something about their products which I really happen to like, maybe it's the colors :D

[​IMG]

Here's the video card I'm going to be using, it's a 7800GT from Club3D. Nothing special, but works for me for now.

[​IMG]

Decided to use those Zalman ramsinks for this one, sadly there are those two modules which have to go without for a reason you'll see soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you can see the shortcoming, those two damn heatpipes make it impossible to install any kind of ramsinks, hopefully the airflow is enough to keep them cool. If not, I may have to go with Arctic Cooling Accelero X1 which should have ram covered as well. Time will tell. Also it needs a longer wire and some sleeving to top that off before it's ready.

That's it for now, though there's something I forgot to mention earlier on the Server update, the processor there is an Athlon XP 2400+ and it has (at the moment) 512 Mb of 400MhZ Twinmos memory. Should be enough for my server purposes, but I can always add some memory if necessary.

Next update on OM is probably going to take a while, 4 days of work ahead and lots of other stuff to do as well, so no time for modding :sigh:

Stay tuned anyways :thumb:

Janne

11. ssR

ssR Carbon God

haha that cooler really fits your case. perhaps stick in some leds and light it up from the inside?

12. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Never seen that cooler before, really cool, I like :D
    Keep it up Janne!

Petter

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You could try to mod those two ramsinks...
    Dremel half of them so they would snugly fit right next to the heatpipes. Be careful though; You dont want to have them heating the heatpipes from the middle. That could reduce the heatpipe efficiency on the GPU-side.

14. customh

customh conflagration.

They wouldnt have much effect if half the area was cut off...

15. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj What's a Dremel?

Me neither, but I like it :thumb: Is it good? It looks kinda awesome :D

16. Anzu

Anzu What's a Dremel?

Yeh how effective is that cooler, i have considered buying one!

17. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

dont worry the ram will do it without any ram sinks you have in mind you need good airflow near them or try to cut the ramsinks as low as possible to fit them

18. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

cuttout the middle of the sinks so that they kinda wrap around the heatpipes.

19. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I've neither seen that cooler before nor heard of that brand before. Looks VERY nice! Are you going to mod it to match your case even more, or just leave it as stock?

20. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey all, thanks for commenting here.

Let's answer some questions:

@ssR

Thanks for the idea, I'll try to come up with a plan to light the GPU cooler.

@chase

Yeah, the Revoltec unit is brand new, if I understood right, this was the first batch to arrive here in finland.

@Javerh, customholle, leviathan18 and hydro...

The two ram chips are probably going to go without any sinks, there's about 2mm gap, so no point "modding" a sink so that I'd cut everything off it, that would just be, well :wallbash:. :hehe:

@Anzu

I have no idea how effective it's going to be, havn't tried it yet, but all the reviews are saying it's good. I don't think you can go wrong if you buy one.

@Duste

I'm probably going to leave it as stock, of course I'll have to lenghten the wires and sleeve them in orange sleeve, but otherwise it's probably going to be stock. What comes around the cooler, that's something entirely different...

Keep those comments and ideas coming, it really helps me to focus on the mod. Still a couple of days so that I can finish a homepage project which deadline is friday, but I'll try to finish it sooner so that I can mod again :D

Night all.

Janne

Tags: