1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appalling FPS in games.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Chopstickz, 27 Sep 2006.

1. Chopstickz

Chopstickz What's a Dremel?

Just built a new system;

Athlon 64 3500+ XP
    1GB OCZ PC5300 RAM
    Abit KN9S
    BFG 7600GT 256MB

Only problem is FPS is bad, sometimes around 5-10 fps in certain games. Its really annoying because I have no idea whats causing it. Ive installed the latest Nvidia drivers and still no improvement. Any ideas would be very helpfull, cheers.

2. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

I think we'll need a little more info, (like the settings of your HW) but here's a few ideas:
    -What games are you playing and when does the fps really get bad (ie, that could be reasonable if you're play Oblivion outside)
    -The card could be set to quality mode in the driver. Try going into advanced settings (nVidia control panel) and turning quality settings down (AA, AF, Intellisample, etc.) On that same point, go into the game's settings and turn stuff down to relieve your card. The most important setting there is resolution - try turning it down a step. That will REALLY improve performance
    -Is your RAM running at maximum rated speed? (PC-5300)
    -Of course, make sure all your HW is installed properly and set.

3. stevie1556

stevie1556 What's a Dremel?

I know what your problem is. It's your graphics card! You should have got an ATI card, lol.

Seriously though, if you can list more of the hardware settings, it will narrow down the problem. As the card isn't top of the range, try turning down the graphics setting in the games, as even top line cards can struggle a bit with them.

I was being serious about the fact that you should be using ATI, I have had several different problems with nVidia cards.

4. J-Mag

J-Mag What's a Dremel?

Generalizing "games" is not a good idea. Game performance varies so heavily, which games and more importantly what settings are you trying to run? Obviously most modern gen titles will rape your rig if you were trying 1600x1200 4xAA.

WIth your card i would run a 1280 res max, and probably turn off AA.

5. Chopstickz

Sorry yeh should have specified. What i should have said was, Im not getting the performance I'd expect from the hardware. Worst of all is IL2 Sturmovik Pacific fighters. Not exactly the newest game around yet I can't even run it playably at mid settings when there are a lot of other planes around (i.e a dogfight). BF2 also struggles but not nearly as bad at mid settings (although id expect that because its BF2). FEAR runs the smoothest, mid-high settings and it just jumps occasionally. How do I check that the RAM is running properly? AA is turned off and settings are set to application controlled.

Running at 1024x768 in games too.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

So is it a Athlon64 or a Athlon XP?

Coz that depends

But also the 7600 is a damn good card but you have to limit urself in some games, im pretty wsure u cant run 1600x1200 in oblivion tho it would work in CS:S

I think game patches and right resoloutions in games will give u better performance

8. Chopstickz

Well IL2 which is the worst is patched to the latest version. The processor is a 64. It just seems that its running at a level of performance all too similar to that of my 2200 XP Althlon, 6600GT AGP, 512 DDR previous machine. With IL2 in particular the slow FPS is so ridiculously low that it does not appear natural, nor does it change much if i change the settings. I was wondering if there was a software issue i hadnt considered. Ill get screenshots and stuff with CPUZ as soon as i get back to my comp tomorrow.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I would highly recommend (if you haven't already) getting hold of the newest version of NVidia motherboard drivers for your KN9S. Clicky linky. Don't install the IDE (storage) drivers and don't install the NVidia firewall software. Have you also d/l the newest NVidia drivers for your gfx card?
    Are you using onboard sound or is there a seperate soundcard? If so, check and make sure the drivers are up to date.
    You may also want to try installing the AMD driver for dualcore, Link (second from bottom)

10. theprofessor17

theprofessor17 What's a Dremel?

ive never seen a 3500+ dual core processor i thought they started at 3800 and went up from there maybe i'm just really out though...

11. Chopstickz

:confused: Seems to be some confusion, its not a dual core.

12. theprofessor17

theprofessor17 What's a Dremel?

yeah so you installing that driver probably will not help you out that much.

13. Chopstickz

It could be that its an audio issue. I just disabled sound and found that IL2 runs as sweet as a nut. This however is of little help because it still needs fixing. Ive installed Nvidia's atest audio dirs as well.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Ah fair enough, my apologies. I think I read 'Athlon 64 3500+ XP' as X2 for some reason.

15. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

:rolleyes:

16. Chopstickz

Just run 3D mark2005 and got a score of 3350. Is this normal for a system with my spec?