1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics What to do with a 1W LED?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrMacomouto, 20 Aug 2006.

1. specialk

specialk What's a Dremel?

I bought 14 emitters :D
    3 x LXK2-PD12-Q00 (Red)
    3 x LXK2-PM14-U00 (Green)
    3 x LXK2-PB14-N00 (Blue)
    3 x LXK2-PR14-Q00 (Royal Blue)
    2 x LXK2-PW14-U00 (White)

Philips Lumileds (the makers of Luxeons) do not manufacture RGB Luxeons. Your friend has a knock-off (possibly a UFO LED, see http://www.quickar.com/kufo.php).

As for your question about what to do with your 1 Watt LED, I'd suggest either a flashlight or a small accent light.

-special [k]

Last edited: 27 Sep 2006
  2. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Are Luxeons really the original? There are other respectable companies such as Cree that offer similarly advanced lighting solutions that I would hardly call a knockoff.

3. specialk

specialk What's a Dremel?

Not to take this thread off on a tangent (which I know I am by replying :p), but in response to Luxeons being the original, I wouldn't say that they are "the original" for any specific application or design. However, they are very high quality, which has led to resellers marketing alternative inferior high-flux LEDs as Luxeons. If Cree LEDs are being sold as Luxeons, then yes, I would say they are knockoffs. Similarly, if Luxeons were being marketed and sold as Cree LEDs, then I would call them Cree knockoffs. However, they are not. It's all about the sell and if his friend thought that the product he was buying was a Luxeon (for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230023198388), then I would say that his friend bought a knockoff, wouldn't you agree?

-special [k]

4. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Ah, yes, I would agree with you on that. And when you put it that way, then no, Crees are not Luxeon knockoffs. They are neither sold as Luxeon or look anything like them. All Electronics has some, like this one. I've heard some people like some Crees over some Luxeons, for reasons such as better color temperature.

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Where can I buy 6w leds in the uk? I was going to order a 3w white one from rapid but the high brightness one is oos...

The 3w one is rated ~70 lumens so should I assume a 6w one will be about double? which would be perfect.

6. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

you should look around at candlepowerforums.com, you will be able to find absolutely everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights, especially luxeons :D :D

7. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

kbn, you can get 5W Prolight versions from Stellatus Lighting. They also sell RGB ones.