1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken CPU retainer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alwayz Dead, 28 Sep 2006.

1. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Hi

Wifes PC started shutting down soon after startup - took off the side and there is the cooler hanging off. The tabs on one side of the retainer have snapped off.

Anyone know if the CPU reatainer mount would be available seperately to buy? I did a quick google but got coolers with "fits anything " kits. Don't want to buy a full cooler/retainer if I don't have to.

Cheers

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Any idea what the motherboard is?

I think you can just get a replacement bracket (retainer) for most boards, as they just screw through. :)

3. Alwayz Dead

Sorry, its a Gigabyte (can't remember the model without looking) but it is a socket A. I was figuring that this is just some generic item for this socket type and some moulder(s) have shed loads of the things.

Suppose I ought to stop being lazy and google a bit more.

Thanks for coming back :)

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Skt A fits any Skt A stuffs. I donno how it would have come off as Skt A coolers clip on uber tight.

Check the "plastic hooks" that sit outside the cpu socket and see if they have broken

I have a AC silencer SktA cooler for sale if u need it. PM me bout it.

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

You mean you ripped off the socket cause that IS the retainer unless you mean the bent spanner spring.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No idea where in the world you are, but a quick Google gave me this
    which is exactly what you want. They seem to sell them for most sockets. Not got a great deal of time this morning, but that should set you off in the right direction.

7. Alwayz Dead

Pookeyhead - you are the man :D
    I googled bit after last post but didn't find that - found socket 754 on Ebay based in the states and other forums with people saying that they had the same problem but nothing like you found - thank you m8

Edit - just noticed it is in the States - never mind, thanks anyway.

hydro_electric_655 - not sure where you are coming from and I don't mean what you think at all. The black fan retainer surrounding the CPU socket has 2 x tabs each side, on one side both tabs have failed through fatigue or similar.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2006
  8. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Sure you're not talking about a Socket 478 Pentium 4? Because I've never ever seen a black retainer on a Socket A processor before.

Edit:

Oh yeah, 754.