1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Q: how do they do it?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vermino, 6 Oct 2006.

1. Vermino

Vermino What's a Dremel?

Well been looking at alot of project cases, and i'm amazed at what people are accomplishing. But I'm wondering how you do some of these long duration constructions of cases without knowing the mock-up of the assembly? meaning - i know some of them take about 3-4 months to build and you really want the top of the line parts inside it (which can quick in a month). I know hard-drives and power supply usually are the same size. But what about like video cards and motherboards, dont they differ in size alittle bit?

Have a pretty good idea for a semi-custom casing, but just want to get my bearings straight before i start a project. I have like 3-4 months before i'm going to build a PC, so just wondering if i probbly could start a mock-up on a custom casing for a future PC

thanks

-Jesse

2. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

this shouldn't really be in this section, so it'll probably be moved, but to answer your question...

yes things vary in size, but there are standard dimensions that they follow, ie - for a mobo you have ATX, mATX etc... and as far as graphics cards go, they are pretty much all the same height (apart from the real low end ones) and won't be longer than the mobo, so aslong as you give them height clearance for the PCI slots it'll fit.

If you get the the standard dimensions for the parts and use them as a template, what ever you buy will fit.

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Moved to where it belongs (NOT Project Logs).

4. Vermino

Vermino What's a Dremel?

sorry about the gnome - didnt see the "modding" section..

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Just in case you'd want to dig deeper, heres a handy link for custom ATX cases:
    ATX Specification 2.2
    It has info on motherboard holes, connector placement and psu dimentions.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2006
  6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

7. Vermino

Vermino What's a Dremel?

thank ya so much - helps me out alot.. yeah, i been re-thinking my ideas now.. I been looking so hard for Orange Led's and orange coolant dye but seems like it's not as popluar as blue and green haha..

my idea was to make a custom casing look like a metallurgy machine - running burning hot molten steel thru out lines the casing. then making the centerfold of the casing have 3 or so plexi-bar (looking like hot temper steel) raising from top (when the CPU is turned on, it will raise)

for some reason, i got this idea from CNN news - they were showing a steel factory and talking about something for stockmarketers.

still doing some research on some items before I might a rough sketch..

8. Slakker

Slakker What's a Dremel?

I don't know that I've ever seen a true orange LED, but you might try looking for Amber, though it won't be vibrantly orange. A great idea for a case, though! Hopefully we'll see some progress soon!

9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I was looking for orange but i think you probubly have to put up with painted yellow leds.

10. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

11. Vermino

Vermino What's a Dremel?

umm my german is alittle off, but what's all that say? haha - i will probbly need to get about 10 or so.. didnt know if that was just per 1.. also, dont live in europe. live in Sin city, you think there would be a store with LEDs here but havent found anything yet..

-Jesse

12. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

from searching around, id say amber LED is just another name for orange LED?

13. Vermino

Vermino What's a Dremel?

amber is yellow - but yea i could just paint the LED orange.. oh well, ill find some kind of solution...