1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: IDEpod, Disaster: HELP! Modder in Distress!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 6 Oct 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

So I am kind of bored and want something to do. So I was looking at my now mostly useless iPod 3rd Generation. The reason I took the HDD out was the headphone jack broke and I never cared to replace that. What I am wanting to do now is venture into connecting up a large IDE drive to the iPod following in the footsteps of the iPod super I will be connecting the iPods internal 1.8'' connector to an IDE port. However I want the iPod to functionaly still go back inside its case. My Idea is to cut out a hole in the top of the metal backing nto the iPod to allow for an ide header to be there. So that the external drive can connect up or be disconnected whenever.

As for the iPod audio I am planning on either removing the dock connector or soldering to it internally to break out the signals for usb / firewire / and the audio. All I want is the line-out audio to connect up to my larger sound

Here are some images of me sizing up the parts in this. I would solder the wire between the IDE plug and the 1.8'' connector

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pic's showing the iPod inside

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    IDE connector and it sized up inside the metal backing

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Location of the IDE plug in relation to the iPod

Basically I am wanting to know anyone's opinion on proceeding with this mod. It it is not too terribly difficult. just wanting any input on the matter. :dremel:

Last edited: 20 May 2012
  2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Opinion? Its your mod, go for it!

3. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

What drive are you gonna get (size) and... where does the battery go mate?

4. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

i think itll make the bottom of the ipod funky, but ive seen your soldering skills and cant help but to say DO IT!

5. Warrior_Rocker

The 3g iPod's battery is the black rectangle you can see in this picture:
    [​IMG]

It sits flush with the bottom of the Main Board. I was also thinking of including on the inside of the iPod electronics to drive a Laptop HDD since the iPod only provides +3.3v to the 1.8'' drive. Though I am not sure entirely how that will play out.

I need to get a new tip for my soldering iron the one I got just 2 weeks ago from radioshack is all but burned down. Once I get my new tip I plan to start trying to solder up the interface.

Edit:
    I Have a spare 120gb 3.5'' drive laying around. I also have a 2.5'' 10gb notebook HDD as well I may fool around with. I am just uneasy about getting the drives formatted right so the iPod can use them

6. Warrior_Rocker

I have decided to move on with this, still have not yet caused any permanate mod to the iPod itself yet. Still in the getting things all sized up phase. Also I have officially named this project IDEpod (hope no one else is using that already)

I went ahead and trimmed the pins on the IDE connector so they are all ready to be soldered to. Also started to round out parts of the IDE connector with my dremel to allow it to mount flush on the back of the ipod's metal plate. and flush agains the top as well. Silly rounded ipod

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Connector originally and the connector with a sort of 'haircut'

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The connector will be mounted flush in the iPod, this means that when nothing is connected it feels like a normal iPod. Nothing else protrudes in any fasion. Decreases possible damage to the ide connector, and will also add to the over asthetics of the project. The last image is a before and after mockup of the top of the iPod before and after this project.

I would love to hear any input!

Last edited: 1 Aug 2007
  7. sladesurfer

sladesurfer What's a Dremel?

You should just get this http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=260&type=expert&pid=6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Warrior_Rocker

I do not fancy buying things. Also as I already have all the parts to do the modification I am seeking to do it is pointless to purchase anything else. Also that huge case in my room. And it is not the dock that I am wanting at all. the HDD I have taken out to use in another project. I may be soldering into the iPod connector in the ipod itself to break out a few signals but other than that I have no reason to ''dock'' the ipod.

Although it is a neat idea to put an iPod dock on the top of a case I just see that as another thing the after market modder cannot do and say it was somewhat original. Also as I own a shuttle as my primary computer there is simply no more room on the inside of the case to put such electronics as an iPod dock.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it is just not the direction I will be taking with this project. I am a DIY junkie :dremel:

9. Warrior_Rocker

So I have decided to continue work on this project by cutting out the IDE connector port on the top of the IDEpod, as well as molding the IDE connector to fit on the top of the iPod. I am not so great at dremeling so I took this nice and slow, produced results that look a good bit like the iPod was meant to have an IDE connector on the top

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had to round out the IDE connector to fit flush with the rounded back plate of the iPod

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Showing how the rounded connector now fits flush on the back

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next I started cutting out the top of the iPod to take an IDE cable

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Still cutting, and then a final shot of the hole in the top of the iPod

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some shots showing the IDE cable I had laying around fits in with no issue at all

I would love to hear anyones input!

10. Slakker

Slakker What's a Dremel?

Looks promising! Though, to be honest, other than the sheer coolness factor...I can't think of any reasons I'd want to do this.

What made you want to go at it?

11. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Isn't it obvious? The man has a severe addiction to modding! He just can't enough of it!

Very cool, total use for this otherwise useless iPod.

12. Warrior_Rocker

I believe it may infact go well beyond addiction :thumb:

Now for an update. I got bored for a few minutes and decided to prep the wire I will use to connect the 1.8'' HDD plug to the IDE socket. I also at the same time went ahead and soldered the wire onto the IDE socket. My tip is completely decimated after some hardcore soldering and I will have to wait until I can get a new one to solder to the much smaller pins. Anyway less talk more pictures

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My wire of choice in these type of projects is what I have ripped out of old parallel cables. Stuff is really thin and the colors are easier when maching up pins. Also a pic of the tiny 1.8'' plug that goes to the IDEpod Mainboard

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wire's all cut to length, tinned. And then soldered onto the IDE connector

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just a final shot of the connector lined up in the ipod case. Wire's will probably be trimmed down a bit. But it is better to start with more, than to start with less and need more

I would love to hear any input!

13. command-tab

command-tab What's a Dremel?

You're going to power the drive externally, I take it?

The iPod hard drives only run on 3.3v, so that's surely not going to power a full size IDE monster :)

That's awesome that you managed to fit the IDE connector in the end of the case!

14. Warrior_Rocker

Yes that is the plan for now. However with all the room opened up on the inside of the iPod I am debating to include electronics to power if nothing else a laptop HDD. Though I cannot for the life of me find my firewire cable for my iPod. Trying to see if anyone has a spare one or one they are willing to come off of. Not really looking to get one on ebay. I can probably use a 7805 Regulator to get the 5v, though it will probably need a little heatsinking. Still Working out a few things with the iPod.

15. Warrior_Rocker

Today I have connected the IDE port now to the Header for the 1.8'' HDD in the iPod, as well I went ahead and superglued the ide port in place, it seems faily strong. Though not sure how it could not be. I used nearly half the bottle of glue. Anyway less talk and more pixels

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Prepping the ends of the wire on the IDE port, and prepping the pins on the 1.8'' HDD header

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Midway soldering pic, and then the interface installed on the inside

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another pic of it connected, and then showing the twist I had to make in the cable to get the port the right way around

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The connector now glued into the backplate of the IDEpod

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And some glory shots of the ide cable plugged in and finally supported by the ipod back plate

So whats next? fitting it together, relocating headphone stuff, relocate anything that gets in the way. getting a new hd to run with the ipod!

I would love any input!

16. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

looks good mr man :rock: have you powered the IDEpod up yet tho? moment of truth eh? im sure it will work since youve got the mad skillz with the soldering :D

17. Warrior_Rocker

MODDER IN DISTRESS!!!!1
    Disaster has struck and I believe my iPod's mainboard is now toast :duh: , though it may never have worked on the get go. The previous owner was quite abusive to the little thing and I believe this iPod is to meet its maker. So I am now in search of anyone with with a iPod 3g or 4g with a busted HDD they may be willing to give up. The back plate I have already modified will fit either.

Please Please Please I really need bit-tech's help on this one. I could try to get one off ebay. But some of those are going for more than I would like to spend. I really need one of my fellow modders to hook a guy up or something.

If anyone has anything for the 3g or 4g (3rd or 4th gen) iPod's please pm me so I can finish this mod. Else it is going into that section of the disaster mod's.

Thanks, WarriorRocker

18. Raziekiel

Raziekiel What's a Dremel?

Ouch man, that sucks! I liked the look of the mod, You've got some skills there!

19. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

dude oh noez, hope someone has a broken one to help you out

20. Warrior_Rocker

Although the iPod itself is not working I was able for a brief moment before the board failed to run the built in diagnostics on the iPod to do a self check on the HDD. It said the HDD scan passed so I am assuming that the interface will work once I can procure a new iPod mainboard or an iPod 4g.

Anyway I have taken some teaser pic's of what I have thus far. I made a little 3 inch IDE cable to wrap around the back to connect the HDD

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The iPod itself looks stock from the front and mostly all angles except that from the top with its new found IDE port

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    iPod with the short IDE cable plugged into the back

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    How the iPod looks when plugged into one of my spare HDD's

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Side shot of the IDE cable and the IDE port itself

I would like to thus far give thanks to the guy from http://www.command-tab.com His website and personal help have aided a good deal in bringing this project to where it is now. If anyone is able to help me out with some iPod parts I would be forever greateful. Till then; Mod on bit-tech'ers!!!1 :dremel: