1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Modu-Li

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shplade, 15 Feb 2006.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

wow nice screen glad to see this mod is still running, was starting to wonder where it went!

2. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

What's wrong with VHS tapes? :p

It certainly is a nice screen :)

I'm following this schematic:

http://skagon.teamfraud.com/images/wiring/powertip_wiring.png

Here's how far I am with it since starting thisarvo:

[​IMG]

Two more ribbon cables and it'll be finished, then I just have to mount it.

Seeing the CCFL inverter upside down like that probably looks a little random, I did it like that so that I could easily link it to my PCB using the legs off one of the caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that's left to do is to make two more cables.

[​IMG]

I'm using 15-pin D-sub connections inside the case to cut down on wiring mess, as I only need to run 15 conductors to the parallel port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there's linking the LCD to my PCB, that's pretty straightforward. Crimping and soldering 30 little pins for these connectors isn't fun :(

More later tonight if I can be bothered finishing it off.

3. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I really wasn't happy with the cooling delivered by the stock chipset heatsink/heatpipe assembly, so I replaced it.

My original plan was to remove the stock cooler, cut the heatpipe off the MOSFET heatsink so that I could still use it, and put some aftermarket cooling on the chipset. I still went with that plan, but rather than destroy a perfectly good A8N SLI Premium heatpipe, I swapped my intact one for someone elses MOSFET heatsink. Win win.

Anyway here are the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I can't be bothered with pics right now, so I'll just talk some ideas.

I'm in the process of designing a cover for the mobo, which will be attached to the removable tray (which is still, and will still be, removable). It'll cover most of the components, including the expansion cards. The main reason for it is so I have something solid to mount the pump and reservoir (I'll be getting an Innovatek Fass-O-Matic) to. They will both sit between the videocard and soundcard.

The cover will be more of a frame than anything, I still want the components to be visible, especially the waterblocks. So there'll be plenty of perspex and mesh involved :D

It'll be of a similar construction to the rad mount I made a few updates ago (angle and sheet alu). I have it pretty much all worked out in my head, I just have to make it.

I'm going to have to implement some kind of airflow (ie, fan :p) to keep the passively cooled items... cool. My main concerns are the chipset, mobo MOSFETs, RAM (which will be running 3.3V next time I have the system apart), the videocard (there are a few chips on the back which apparently get quite hot, especially when overclocked/overvolted - another thing I have to do) and the soundcard which has always been a bit of a problem.

To add the the heat factor even more, I'll be adding two 320GB hdds in the bottom rack, making it a total of 6 drives (1420GB haha, I watch alot of TV).

Like I've said, only a few more weeks of uni and then I'll be back into it again, expect a few more little updates till then though.

5. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

We'll wait for it, nice work :thumb:

6. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Little update of sorts, I've got some new stuff.

Alot (I don't recall how long the spools are) of black and red wire (I have another of yellow from a few months back), some 6-pin (PCI-E graphics style) plugs (which just so happen to be the same plugs used for modular wiring on my Enermax PSU), lots of ATX pins, and a molex crimper.

[​IMG]

But most importantly, an Innovatek Fass-o-Matic :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've seen plenty of watercooling loops implementing them, and fell in love with the look. I don't think you can appreciate the quality till you've held one in your hands.

Back to real life again though :( I have an exam at 8am tomorrow morning, followed by a week off uni to study for a week of exams... After that, this project is going to be top priority.

7. Braven

Braven What's a Dremel?

Nice project dude! I like it.
    I got almost the same configuration on hardware, Im wondering what temps you got with that cooler?

keep on the nice work! :dremel:
    cya

8. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

great project and hope you get alot more replies because this project diserves it.
    keep up the good work.

9. Glengarry

Glengarry What's a Dremel?

Great project log m8 !

I really love reading any Lian Li based project as they're really top quality cases (I've had 7, including 3 '65's).

Anyway, keep up the good work and I look forward to your next update :)

Last edited: 10 Jan 2007
  10. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

:)

I had my last exam today so I should be getting alot of work done shortly.

11. Glengarry

It's been a month m8.... any updates in the pipeline ?

12. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Sorry I haven't been as busy on the project as I'd liked to have been. I've had alot on my mind, the weather is getting hot and I really can't be bothered to do any major work. I'll get onto some of the electric/electronic work though.

Bumps give me motivation :)

13. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Amazing work here.. really inspiring for me to properly sort out my PC-65 :worried: Very nice cabling and ideas you have, a true modder. Only things i would do differently if mod the back exhaust for a single 120mm and the top for a 120 or bigger.. Can tell the finished product here is going to be sweet, good look to you and have fun in your 1337 country of Australia :D (love the place)

I have same CPU and GPU block aswell.. GPU is just about the best, or very close to it, and the CPU block aint half bad and looks pretty sweet imo too, quite nice temps here but they vary a lot.. GPU never gone above 37 under load so far even when my room is pretty warm, CPU never more then 35 under load i think..

14. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

The rear of the motherboard tray doesn't have enough space for a 120mm fan, you could probably get away with a 92mm fan though (don't hold me to that). A second 80mm fit so perfectly under the stock fan, it seemed silly not to fill the void.

As for the top, I wanted to make the front and top grills be similar shaped rectangular grills :worried: I know what you're thinking. I am a bit crazy like that.

And finally, I am really keen to get the watercooling loop finished! Its summer here at the moment and hence fairly hot, which had been giving me some instabilty issues when I had my CPU overclocked (3700+ @ 2530MHz 1.5V - 1:1 with the RAM @ 230MHz 3V and the chipset at 1.6V). Problem is the case I've currently installed the system in doesn't have any case fans :duh:

15. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Well i was thinking of just using my dremel to cut through the metal strip to the left of the fan, then it would fit a 120mm fine (in theory).. even if the case would look at little odd i reckon it would work fine.. top fan is fair enough.. i might leave it though so it gives me space for another radiator in the top if needed.. the 3 places for rad in PC-65 are where you have put it or a small one in back, the roof and if you mod your case like mine.. have PA160 in front :rock:

Haha, watercooling is almost an essential for a overclocker/enthusiast Auzzie from my experience.. no point having fans to blow 38 degree air into case anyway ;) When i went to Australia it was "winter" and in Darwin/Cairns it was still boiling hot and in Sydney it was still warm enough to just wear T-shirt and jeans.. i know the south of Australia is dam hot in the summer, and I've heard the north can be unbearable. Where bouts are you in the vast country?

16. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I live in Brisbane which is the capital of Queensland, its around the centre of the east coast. I've lived here with my parents for the past 10 years, and I'm loving it. The heat can be a bit much in summer (now), especially around christmas, and early January. I think the first year we moved here it got to 45 in summer, that was pretty terrible :p

I get great temps in winter, mind you I'm only using stock cooling (buying aftermarket aircooling gear seems a bit silly considering I have a perfectly good water setup waiting to be installed).

Sleep time.

17. Glengarry

Is this project now dead ?

I'd love to see the finished product m8 :thumb:

18. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Still alive, but only barely, I haven't got anything worthy of an update though.