1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Scopeworks: Cerberus WB1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scopEDog, 8 Sep 2005.

1. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Thanks to the mods at Bit-Tech...you guys rock! :rock:

This will be a big thread, as it is a collection of whats been happening up until now. Sorry for all the pics, but it will make sense at the end :)

In Greek Mythology Cerberus was the multiheaded hound of hades. Protector of the gates of hell, he assured that no one would leave the fire and brimstone of the underworld.

Cerberus WB1 is a multiheaded waterblock that controls heat from your cpu. How coincidental :D

I've always said, its great going from concept:

[​IMG]

To reality:

[​IMG]

A BIG thanks goes out to Kane for helping me produce this block. Without his machining skills and wonderful suggestions this block would not have come out so great.

It came in a few weeks back, dismantled it to give it a good clean-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i started to put this beast back together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea here is to give the end-user options. Need a fitting on top and bottom? You can do it. Need a temp probe in the block? That too. Lights to pimp it out a bit? Gotcha covered. And if your insane and have 4 cooling loops then it can act as a manifold. The top fittings on all 4 sides are the inlet and the bottom fittings are outlets. Whatever ports you dont use you just plug them up. All this and killer looks to boot. :thumb:

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Some people were asking for close-ups of the block, maybe some light action. So i couldn't resist :D

I set up the block for a simple 1 inlet/1 outlet configuration and plugged the other holes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since i have 4 red LEDs i thought it would be cool to try them out (Not that you would use 4 LEDs on a block, but you could if you wanted to :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the mounting legs here:

[​IMG]

Closer shot of the top (damn its tough taking a pic of that top):

[​IMG]

3. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Well the test results are back, and wanted to post them for everyone.

*A big thanks goes to Lee Garbutt (aka Robotech) for doing an amazing and professional job in testing this block.

Here are some pics during testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee you have an impressive setup there. He even tried a 4-in 4-out configuration:

[​IMG]

And his results are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As these graphs show, this is a decent performing waterblock (With a 2-inlet, 2-outlet configuration). Not too bad for my first try :) After speaking with Lee about it, he recommended a few tweaks to improve performance which i will look into (including switching to 1/4" threads, which i left out of the prototype for space constraints).

I had to sacrifice a bit to get that certain layout i was looking for. After these tweaks though i think this block will be a good balance of style, performance, and functionality.

I'm currently looking to make 10 of these new Rev.2 blocks. I am in talks with a few shops to make this happen. I've gotten alot of requests to produce this block so i'm trying to see if this is viable. Stay tuned :dremel:

What are your thoughts?

4. Risky

Risky Modder

I love the block and it would be very tempted by the commercial version but as you know I'd really want a centre inlet tapped in the top.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Scha-wiiinnnggg!!! :rock:

Lordy, that is one tasty block... can't wait to see revision 2...

6. scooby

scooby Minimodder

That is one unique looking block scopEDog, luv it. How much dose that baby weigh? Have you thought of hooking it up with 1/2" tubing as it may increase it's flow.

I would have liked to see the bottom detail shot of your lucite block, looks very interesting.

Keep up the great work bro, and like Nexxo said... can't wait to see revision 2... :)

7. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

@ Risky: Yeah a center inlet would definitely help, but man i can't get myself to do it :sigh:. Just want to keep a consistant look i guess, i'm a sucker for symmetry. Should be easy enough to mod though, but you didn't hear that from me :D

@ scooby: Thanks man, yeah the Rev.2 will have 1/4" threads for the high flow peeps out there :thumb:. When they come in I'll take some shots of the poly center. And i knew i forgot to do something last night, i wanted to weigh the thing. I'll do it tonight.

8. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Well...Dutch let the cat outta the bag in his post:

[​IMG]

Kane was nice enough to make 10 of the Rev2. Cerberus WB1 waterblocks. Since he was busy he did the rough machining and I took care of the polishing/cleanup/etc.

The Rev2 should be a better performing block, with a center tube shooting straight onto the core and more densely packed pins. Coolant should flow better across the entire block, and I switched over to G1/4 threads.

Why are there only 9 in the pic? Well one is mine of course :naughty: I will have a few of these left and will post more details about it soon.

Thanks Dutchcedar :D

9. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Fantactico!!!! Looking great bro, I also noticed the barb for 1/2" tubing...well done.

PS Love your Gundam keeping guard:)

10. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

anychance of calling dibs on one of the 1/2 ones?

11. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Ya I would grab a 1/2" if the price is right.

12. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Jesus christ those look cool

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm interested in one in any size configuration. I'm dead serious. I'll sell my kids.

I AM planning a triple loop setup. This would make it SO easy to plumb...

14. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME seriously :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    i have never seen a block so goos looking while still be very good on the performance department :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PLEASE SELL ME ONE

and i think this has great value in the comercial market

MASS PRODUCTION *** :naughty: :naughty:

15. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

I would also be intrested in these ;)

16. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Work of art, fantastic work there.

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

how much are they if you were to sell a few on :) looks like a nice block from here :).

morgan.

18. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Thanks fellas :D

I'm dying to test one out, but I've got alot on my plate atm. I think with the right sized pump it'll be on par with most other blocks on the market. As of yesterday I only have 3 left(will know for sure this weekend), kinda sad to see them go one by one :(

19. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

Also something good, they must be very good if they fly out of the door :D
    Are you planning to start some sort of shop or was this just a one time fun project

20. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Just a fun one time project :D

Alas..there are only 3 left, almost felt like i was selling my first car :sigh:

They are posted in the F/S section.

Tags: