1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding cd rom motors interchangable?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by star_treking, 10 Oct 2006.

1. star_treking

star_treking What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if a motor from a portible cd player can work in a cd rom drive?

Such as the motor that spins the cd?

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

May or may not. Usually they spin at a speed that works for the drive itself such as the laser head to pick up info. They may have different wiring. worth a try. If the wiring is the same.

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I highly doubt it, because a portable player would need to run its motor on 3v or so, whereas a CD ROM has 12v to play with. Chances of it working are 999 to 1.

If your looking to repair a drive, you'll probably need to get another of the same drive, or a similar one, and cannibalize the motor from it.

4. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

Just out of intrest as most drives are so cheap now why are you bothering to repair?

You most likely have you reasons, just was wondering.

5. star_treking

In a sort of "Johnny 5" sort of way
    No repair, modify.

I want to make a top load cdrom I have an idea how to make the rest of the mechanics work but I am stuck with how to get a spindle to have snap in lock, rather than magnetic lock like (AFAIK) all internal desktop drives have.

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

The guy over in this thread has added two top load cd-roms to his case. I am not sure if you meant a slot load top loading one though. I am sure it may work either way?
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=115811

Though all optical drives are different it may be simple just to get the right kind that seems to work in his project.

7. hydro_electric_655

I think he wants a pop up drive. Like PS1 pesonnal CD players, gamecube...

8. star_treking

Not quite, something like hydro_electric_655's post.

Gamecube is very close to the idea I have but no top or popups. The finished top of the drive would be level to the laser carriage assembly. The cd would be unprotected from hands, dust, etc... It would have a kind of Brazilish look or at least that was an inspiration. But would look cool.

9. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Just an idea, but what about a thin, slot loading drive mounted at an angle on the top of your case? So that instead of a pop-up lid, you just slide the CD in at an angle, say 15 or 20 degrees? Not saying you should change your idea...but just throwing stuff out there.

10. star_treking

Thanks for the idea, after a good nights rest you got me thinking. I figured out how to do the motor problem. I don't, I use a laptop drive and a slimline to IDE adapter. All I now have to do is figure out how to turn a pulse into something that I can use.

11. hydro_electric_655

You could go for taking the spindle from a pop top cd player. SLide it off the shaft and replace the DVD players spindle with it. May work.

[​IMG]

You notice th eblack and the blue+white spindles could try to remove that and replace the press top on the normal CD DVD unit.

12. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

It should also be worth mentioning that CD players probably don't read anywhere near as fast as modern CD-ROM drives. I dunno, maybe a 4x speed would be enough for decent shock protection? In any case I doubt they're made to spin at 52x speeds and such.