1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Proposed watercooling rig - First time setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hezza, 6 Aug 2002.

1. Hezza

Hezza What's a Dremel?

ok, this is probably gonna be really long winded post but bear with me :)

Hi, been looking into water cooling for a few weeks now and think i'm gonna take the plunge (poor pun intended) but have a few more questions and what people thing of the kit i've semi decided on.

The main reason for me looking into water cooling is noise, i'm off to uni soon and my computer is gonna become my main entertainment centre, i've got rid of my hi-fi and got the audigy front panel so i have a remote and front headphone port, also gonna get a tv card (19" monitor). I will be doing a 3d gfx/animation course and will most liking involve rendering overnight and there'll be little chacne of me sleeping with the noise my pc currently makes. I've taken a few steps to get it quieter (zalman flower, enermax varible fans, low noise hdd's) but its still not to my liking. (Also JANET FTP :)

ok, onto what i've been looking at:

Danger Den maze 3 P4 block or the Danger Den Mazep4
    Danger Den GF4 Block
    Eheim 1048
    Black Ice Pro Rad or MonoXxpert Rad with papst or enermax 120mm fan
    Innovatek Mini Res (attach straight onto eheim) or Innovatek Tank-o-matic.
    3/8" tubing
    Eheim 3/8" fitting kit

Think thats it, with the cpu and gf4 block would i just run them inline (in cpu, out cpu, in gf4, out gf4) or use a Y Spilter and go into each and then use another Y Spilter to join them up after?

Also how much noise am i looking at with this setup, i plan to get rid of all the other case fans, just have a 350w variable enermax and the 120mm rad fan. The only other noisy component is the 120gig maxtor drive i've got, gonna swap it out for a 80gig seagate fluid bearing one, already have one and its near silent compared to the maxtor.

Any advice/tips woulc be greatly appreciated

Hezza

One other thing i just remembered, i have a cheiftec black dragon full tower case, i plan to mount all this internally but the main problem atm is that the psu is mounted vertically and doesn't leave room for the rad to be mounted above it, u can change the backing plate and every picture i've seen on the net has psu horizontal. Anyone got an idea where i could get another backing plate, other wise it means making one. (the ones i've seen already have holes and venting cut for a 120mm fan)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2002
  2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Hey Hezza welcome to the forums :) I have the same case you have and I ran into the same problem with the weird position of the power supply. So i made my own backplate. Send me an email..and I'll send ya a pic of how i set this up (sorry guys, nowhere to post a pic :().

3. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Yo Hezza ive got a DDgf4 waterblock for sale used it only to test the system for leaks,my gf3 died on me before i could put it in my pc,ive got a gf2 ti in at the mo until i save up for a gf4,make me a offer :)
    It has 1/2 fittings and a metal mounting kit...

4. Hezza

Hezza What's a Dremel?

I'm still in the research phase atm, i doubt i'll start buying the kit for another month or maybe not till my student loan comes through :)

Are the GF3 and 4 blocks the same? Only saw the GF3 blocks on danger dens site and they looked the same as the ones someone posted here of the gf4 block. Also it looks like i'll be going for 3/8" tubing, from what i've read if i were to go for 1/2" i'd need a higher capacity pump which is noiser or can the barbs be swapped out easly or are they glued/epoxyed in?

Cheers
    Hez

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

6. Hezza

Hezza What's a Dremel?

I'm interested in that gf4 block, might be going ahead with the water cooling sooner than i thought.

Question for anyone that might know, been looking at the DD maze p4-0 block, says its for socket 423, are the hold down holes on the mobo the same for the 423 and the 478? And is there a major performance difference between that block and the newer maze 3, quite a price difference in them

Cheers
    Hez

Tags: