1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft posts IE7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Oct 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Well, sitting here with a genuine copy of Windows... Nah not going to get it, I will stick with Firefox.

3. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Uh...

IE6 has been dead for years...

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Internet Explorer?! who r ya who r ya.

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Wrong! It won't be pushed out until at least 1st November to allow time for businesses, who don't want to roll it out yet, to put the blocking measures Microsoft have provided in place. I've already blocked it at my place of work so I can test the final code in my own timeWr.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is there somthing I can change on my computer to convince MS that I'm NOT running a genuine copy of windows just so they stop downloading garbage onto my machine? Security updates for holes in programs I actually use, fine, but not new versions of a program I never, ever use!

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

So will it install automatically for us drones at home or not?

Edit (1135): actually, I guess my question is where did what information come from for the article?

Edit (1136): or was this article simply written ahead of time and then published early by mistake?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2006
  8. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

Even if you don't use IE yourself, simply having it installed (and there's not a lot you can do to change that) means it can be hacked, I've lost track of all the IE (and outlook express) exploits that don't actually require you to use the program. IE7 is meant to be a major upgrade in security and functionality, you don't have to use it but imo you'd be a fool to not upgrade IE6 to 7.

9. mattyt

mattyt What's a Dremel?

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And that right there folks, is the most succinct argument for Linux I've heard in a long time. Their flawed browser is so deeply ingrained in the OS that even if you never ever use it, you're still vulnerable. Seems to me it's no wonder so many people hate MS, including me :duh:

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I installed it, as I don't think that at 14.8MB its *just* the browser, I agree that it fixes security holes. And remember Windows Explorer is Internet Explorer ;)

One thing that majorly concerned me was that the progress bar appears to not work when installing, it doesn't move past the 0% marker, and theres no indication of how much its downloaded for the patches.

12. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Is there any way to still have previous versions installed?
    50% of the people viewing my sites still use IE5!
    I've got the beta IE7 on my laptop, but will probably want to put it on my desktop aswell.

13. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I think a better line would be "the pirates that wont to try it will use muBlinder to install it, but the majority of tech savvy users will stay using firefox/opera

14. quack

quack Minimodder

Internet Explorer 7 is released to the public. It won't automatically install for anyone until at least 1st November. If you want it now you have to install it manually from Microsoft's site.

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

IE still accounts for around 85% of the browser market, and there are still many commercial sites that do odd-ball things in the minority browsers. I find I need IE occasionally to deal with a bank or shop site.

Like driving, you need to acknowledge some other drivers are going to make errors, but it's your responsibility to drive safely and avoid compounding their mistakes. Honking at them all the time is not the answer.

IE7 RC works fine for me when I need it, it may not be the best browser but no way is it a bad browser. That's Bushite thinking. ;)

The US site seems to be busy, go UK. (Despite maybe still saying 'RC1' it's today's final).

Last edited: 19 Oct 2006
  16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Whats an automagic update?

Rofl, im still using beta IE7, so hopefull things like the EA downloader will be compatible with this :D

Sam

17. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Well, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by one thing - the installation did not reset my default browser from Firefox to IE7. I thought for sure it would, considering little updates, such as a random junk mail update to Outlook 2003 reset my default mail client from Thunderbird to Outlook.

As for the program itself, I have no opinion. I haven't used it, and don't intend to. I installed it for the reasons mentioned by Laitainion above.

Although I have to say that installing IE for security reasons makes me feel...dirty.

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Still using Firefox...

The new features in IE7 (especially tabs) feel like a clunky FF ripoff to me. FF works just fine on the Vista Beta (for me, anyway), so IE is going to need some very spiffy new feature to get me to switch back.

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Amazingly, I tried to delete the IE shortcut on my quick link bar thingy.

And my task bar has now STALLED!

20. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

That's odd. I deleted mine with no problems. I don't think it's related to the installation itself - you might have other issues.

Tags: Add Tags