1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New Pc Plans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xploit, 24 Oct 2006.

1. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

At the moment I have a Packard Bell iMedia. It's nothing special. It's an Intel 3.06ghz Pentium 4. Not 64 bit or Dual Core just a good old normal processor. It's got a 160gb 7200rpm HD and an Nvidia 6200 256mb Graphix Card. Like I said nothing special. I'm upgrading it, well, selling it and buying all new parts and building it. Here are all the parts :
    [​IMG]
    Note: I already have an ATi X800GT Graphics card to go into it just if you're wondering why there's no graphics card. This is my first time building a PC and was wondering if this is a good price for all the goods I am getting and if anyone knows any articles with steps and advice on how to build a pc....Thanks for your time...

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

you will be told by everyone to buy a intel core2duo processor. basically because the lowest model, the e6300 allendale will be more powerful than that amd with a mild bit of overclocking and cost £100 less. you will have to sped more on a motherboard but you will still be saving £50-70

3. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

Ok Thanks M4RTIN. I am a gamer so I would prefer to go for an AMD....But I will also Consider the Intel equivalent now. What would be the Intel Equivalent of the 5200 as you say the Intel can be OC'ed to be similar to the 5200, but the 5200 can be OC'ed to be equivalent to an FX-62 in Terms of clock speed?

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

the 6300 can be overclocked significantly past a fx-62 level of performance. in games you wont really see a difference between the two processors but with the allendale being a lot more powerful, cooler running, use less power and costs a lot less it should be a sure decision.

i would suggest you have a search for some threads about the conroe and allendale processors as they really are great

5. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

Ok....I will consider an AMD processor but what do you think about the other parts I am buying?

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

dont consider an AMD processor, all the Intel core 2 duos beat them and are cheeper to run as M4TIN said, if your a gamer, the C2D is the way forward at the moment.

the rest of it..

soundcard ok - if you can afford it get an xfi?(what speakers you got?)
    DVD drive - consider a NEC drive (DVDRAM is all but useless)
    PSU - not bad, did you look at antec?
    case - nice
    CPU - as stated, go core2duo
    Hard Disk - try to get a 16mb cache disk, and 320GB is now the sweet spot for Cost/gig
    Ram - looks fine, take a look at some of the "cheep" OCZ stuff, you maybe able to get some OCZ for that money but thats dependant on what company you like :)

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Change the Case, Psu and not very good mobo.

Get a Proper psu, like Tagan,Antec or Seasonic.

Case wise Thermaltake are pure pants, everything is plastic and shite build quality...there are PLENTY of better cases.

You Dont need a retail kit DVD-RW, just get a OEM, as you dont really need a box, manuals and the OEM Software when its cheaper to buy seperately, also Boycott Sony products and get either a Pioneer or NEC drive as they are much better.

Now mobo wise, VIA chipsets are pure pants compared to nVidia or Ati one, so summat like a nVidia nForce570 mobo or a Ati Crossfire 3200 based mobo are the better choices. The olny ones of the top of me head is the new A8R-MVP for AM2.

And lastly with most modern soundcards onboard are prob better than that Audigy as its a cut down Audigy2 ZS and isnt very good anymore.

Pretty much you need to re think ur specs matey.

Or the other choice is gettin a C2D E6300 and base ur machine round Intell stuff.

Also where in North London are ya?

8. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

What Intel Processor can I get for the same money as an AMD 5200+? That's £270 and will there be an outstanding difference? Also I did try to purchase OCZ 2gb at £160 but MicroDirect are out of stock but hopefully they will be back in stock for when I am looking to buy.

9. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

Ok Intel tops my list now and I gotta do another spec list and add it up again. And yeah mate I am from North London, Enfield Actualy.

10. bright_

bright_ What's a Dremel?

11. stevie1556

stevie1556 What's a Dremel?

Enfield is only a 30-40min drive from mine. www.overclockers.co.uk is a great site for finding parts and prices easily as the site layout is fantastic. Their customer service is normally pants though, so I recommend doing the research from their site, and ordering from www.ebuyer.co.uk or www.scan.co.uk.

I'm in the process of setting up my own PC and laptop repairing, upgrading and building company, so if you need any help actually building the PC itself, just drop me a PM.

Also, if your main use for the PC is going to be for games, You need the Core2Duo, however, end of this year/start of next year, Inter are bringing out the quad core chips, so the current ones are going to drop in price as soon as they come out, so it may be worth waiting a couple of months.

12. Xploit

Xploit What's a Dremel?

Well yeah I need to wait until after christmas as I need to save up money as I'm like 15 with no job.