1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canis Canem Edit backlash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 27 Oct 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Pah when I was 15/16 I was getting virtual money for hit and runs on grannies, more if I did it with style :)

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Stick an 18 tag on it then?
    Seriously. All that's needed is to educate parents a little more as to why games carry tags. 99% of parents wouldn't let their kids go and watch some 18 rated movie so why on earth would they give them a game that's above the correct rating? :/

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Kids are snivelling little gits that ensure their parents capitulate to their demands. After all you can discipline your kids these days because that would be highly illegal. :sigh:

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

When will the voice of common sense rise up, slap these people and say "CALM DOWN DEAR, IT'S ONLY A GAME!"

-ED OUT

6. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I first played the first grand theft auto on the pc when I was in primary school, that would have made me between 8-10. It didn't have any kind of affect on me! Didn't make me want to steal a car and run people over, then continue untill I had the army after me. Do people really think kids are that stupid?

If parents are concerned, then it's up to them to make sure they don't let their kids get their hands on the game. That means checking on them once in a while to see what the hell they are playing, is it that hard???

7. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

I wish these people would stop saying that it should be banned because it might find its way into childerens hands, by that logic we should ban 18 rated videos, matches , hot water , beer , kitchen cleaner...... . The issue here isnt the game, its that these naive old idiots still think computer games are childerens toys, they have a legaly enforced age limit ffs, what more can you do.

8. teabagger

teabagger What's a Dremel?

His argument is flawed unless he supports the banning of ALL media that portrays violence in any form: Comics, Film... the list is endless. I suspect he wouldn't, at which point his whole justification comes crashing down.
    Just another example of politicians desperately trying to get themselves in the limelight under the pretence of protecting the children when actually they are doing no such thing. Perhaps if they spent their time actually addressing real social issues then we'd all benefit. I don't see that happening any time soon as it's much easier to pump out cheap little populist soundbites rather than working on policies that require real thought and real effort and will make a real difference.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Embarassing... PC World and Dixons won't stock... sad.
    And yea 18 tag on it and done. Give the parents a chance to show they're able to raise a child. :)

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

people have the wrong idea about this game aswell... it's not violent in the main part. Sigh.

11. teabagger

teabagger What's a Dremel?

It's kind of on a par with the fuss that surrounded Train Spotting because it supposedly glorified drug-taking. It would seem fairly obvious that anyone with that view hadn't actually watched the film at all, merely made a load of assumptions and presented them as fact.
    But when has sensible, rational debate ever got a politician in the papers? (Except perhaps Jack Straw recently)

12. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Usually, I'm a firm advocate of the gamer on this issue: only an idiot is seriously going to be convinced by GTA to go and shoot at cars - and they'd have probably done it anyway.
    However, I have very mixed feelings about this game. The difference between this and every other violent game is the real closeness to reality. All children are in schools, they see bullying often, and there is a real chance of it affecting them in some way - agressor or victim. I think that this sort of game, where you score on the basis of harm to classmates is easily transferable to the playground, and sends the wrong message to kids.

As for age controls: how many of us saw our first 18 film at the age of 18? Most parents will happily buy something if their child asks for it - the age restrictions on games are CLEARLY not effective. Ask someone who's worked in a shop. The kid comes, you refuse, then the kid returns with parent and cash in hand. Parents don't often see the game play in reality, and as it is a relatively new medium, probably don't think of it in the same way as even a film.

So to summarise: I'm totally in favour of Half-life, GTA and Day of Defeat, because they are not reasonable leaps into reality. But giving school kids the idea of a scoring system based on playground violence? Bad plan.

13. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

know whats funny? I wasn't interested in this game until all the controversy. Now finally, after hearing that some stores won't carry it, I MUST get it. congrats to those pantywaists that complained: you just INCREASED the sales of the game. If you'd have stayed quiet no one would have known about the game.

14. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Harry Potter is bullied by Draco Malfoy all the time, and he often fights back, bloodying noses, and in the later novels, much much more.

Yet these books are read by children all the time, often read by parents themselves.

This is just another case of the general media (and general population) being clueless about gaming. They actually have no idea what this game is about, only vague ideas/impressions that are largely innacurate. Of course, this is pretty much true of every major world issue, not just gaming, so it's to be expected. :(

Aggies

15. fini

fini What's a Dremel?

DSG Group (Dixons, Currys, PC World etc) wouldn't stock warriors (IIRC) when it first came out - but started stocking it six months later - they do it for the publicity.

fini

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! i play violent games since....... always, and see films that were not for my age at the time...... am i violent? i think not? did they change me? yes, they are my anti-stress after a day of real life, and in games i de-stress so i can continue living in this stressful and ingrate life for at least one more day.

17. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Yeah Rockstar has gotten a sh*t ton of free advertising from these idiots.

It is sad and funny to me that these groups try to slam game companies because children are getting a hold of high powered weapons and going on killing sprees. How is it Rockstars fault that people have mal adjusted kids who have easy access to guns because of a lack of good parenting?

No matter though, these cases and calls for bans almost never work, the game industry is pretty untouchable as no one has ever conclusivly proved that violent games cause violent behavior in people, and dont think they havnt tried for the last 15 years.

And just like this, more people will want Bully to see what all the fuss is about just like the GTA series.

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And then there's this...

Rockstar loves controversey, don't they?

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Of course they do. It drums up sales like you couldn't imagine.

Having said that, some people are a little to... what's the word... stupid. Not everyone is like you, get over it. If two guys kissing in a video game (almost certainly in a literal 'kiss and make up' sense, not sexual) makes you that uncomfortable, perhaps you're a bit insecure. Eh, whatever, I grew up in a location where you're taught to be accepting of other people and diversity.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah, doesn't this just remind you all of how DnD was spreading Satanism in the 80's?

Tags: Add Tags