1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: SuiSid3l UPDATE 31 Oct. Touch Sensative buttons underway

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SuiSid3l, 5 Oct 2006.

1. SuiSid3l

SuiSid3l What's a Dremel?

Project: SuiSid3l

Moving right along. Decided to go ahead and get all of the rest of the drilling out of the way...might be a minor hole or two later on in the project with the addition of the "stealthed" touch-sensative buttons. I got a crazy idea and engineering wise it 'should' work but Ill see, then youll see! Finished up cutting the mounting holes for the aluminum front panel. then got it mounted up and placed the reservoir and cdrom in to get them measured for cutting the front panel. You know I never realized it but the front of this thing looks a lot like an apple...Its the anti-apple! powered by microsoft! muahahaha!

Got it all lined up...here is the front panel on the computer just to get the effect.
    [​IMG]

And with lighting...this looks cool. Except the light will more than likely be the UV lights for the liquid. (which i dont have yet :waah: )
    [​IMG]

The initial cut after about 10 minutes of careful measuring, filed it down a bit but not quite wide enuff.
    [​IMG]

An hour and several small filing jobs and re-measures I got it perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now everything for the front panel is in place except the stealthed buttons so now its time to start figuring out how to get the HDD drives to fit and sanding the internals down for painting. Seems to be moving along quickly, but its been two weeks so far and I still have some electronic stuff to take care of when the parts arrive. Till then!

2. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Love the grils

3. SuiSid3l

Been hard at work trying to finish with all the interior painting. Im down to about 2 pieces left to finish either brushing/painting and Ill be in a position to start putting the case back together. Wont be done then, but at least the case will have taken shape.

So dangling hard drives did not make me feel the least bit cozy, and it was conflicting with the watercooling setup. So i decided to take the original HDD cage and trim it to fit just 2 hard drives. Thats not a lot of space but it IS a matx case with a pretty significantly large watercooling setup so space is definately a commodity in high demand here. So I used some of the extra mesh I had layin around to bend out a bottom to the cage after I had trimmed the sides to match two HDD.

The original HDD cage after the trim
    [​IMG]

The mesh after the first bend (a rubber mallet and sharp surface made this possible)
    [​IMG]

Then heres the cage assembled with the green HDD locking mekanism in place (will be black)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this was completed I decided to go ahead with the sanding/primering/painting of all the interior parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to contract the brushed aluminum on the back with some black and it came out well. Painted the PCI holder and mesh from fan black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will have more tonight..until then!

4. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

dont you hate the look of that green plastic part? i have the same thing in my compaq and i hate it so much, the entire drive cage is getting replaced (maybe with pre-preg carbon fiber! :D)

5. SuiSid3l

Yea I had to ditch the green holder on the cd bays. Im trying to incorporate it into the hard drive cage to give the hold some stability. It will be painted black to contrast all the silver a bit, gives it a nice touch I think.

Im attempting to keep the computer as functional as possible while having as much fun with it as possible. I still want it to look like a computer and still look sick.

6. SuiSid3l

So after completing the painting of all the interior parts and coating them with a matte finish to keep them nice and subtle I proceeded to begin putting the case itself back together.

Initially everything went great. The front and back panels are brushed aluminum with an enamel finish. The interior is a metallic silver flake, the outside is the original black. (notice the HDD bay converted to be pulled out of the side instead of taking off the front panel to get to them.)
    [​IMG]

Initially Im placing a lot of my parts from the original computer back in until the G80 cards come out so, my wireless card and 24bit sound card perfect for my mATX case and 2.1 speaker setup, 2gb 667 patriot memory running at 4-4-4-12, and my x1900xt 512 along with 1 of my 2 WD 250gb sata II 16meg cache HDD.
    [​IMG]

Couple shots of my sli capable 650w metallic blue Hiper Type R power supply
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A front and side shot after placing all the parts inside the case for fitment and flow testing. No leaks and she runs at 34c. Despite all the modification to the front including and entirely new front to the case everything fit like a glove....except the one thing I thought I might have problems with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didnt include shots with the front on becasue if you notice how far out the reservoir is sticking? Its because the very long attached cables to my power supply are blocking its fitment. So to take care of this problem Ima have to strip down my power supply this weekend and make some modifications :naughty:

But in the meantime Im awaiting my chips for the touch sensative circuits im going to be using on my power and cd tray eject buttons (stealthed hopefully) and a LOT of cable management. Right now Id say im about 75-80 percent complete. Now as far as the sides concerned...well thats my suprise. Till then!

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

looks nice...!

8. SuiSid3l

Just updating to let you know that my chips and the rest of the parts for my touch sensative circuits are shipped and should be here next week in time for me to continue with the project. Had some vehicular problems to attend to this week so thats the reason for the lack of updates. Thx again.

9. N.A.N.O.

N.A.N.O. What's a Dremel?

Nice mesh on the front,,

But were did you buy the mesh actually?

10. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Nice mod, and nice hardware :p What processor are you using btw? Wish I had the money for that kind of hardware :sigh:

11. SuiSid3l

@ N.A.N.O.
    the mesh is ACRYAN and it was purchased at frozencpu.com

@ZenX
    The cpu is a Core2duo e6400 overlocked to about 2.8ghz right now.

I will b3 upgrading to an 8800gts provided they come out on the 8th of November.

12. SuiSid3l

Just a quick update today, I received the package with my chips for the touch sensative buttons and I will begin working once I get home from work. So hopefully Ill have an update for you tonight.