1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Girlfriend Reloaded

Discussion in 'Modding' started by raxxo, 24 Oct 2006.

1. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody, havent been posting here for a while but i have been following projectlogs and interesting threads.

Some of you might remember my old Projectlog (Project Girlfriend) that never passed planning stage. It was a "computercase" that was going to house my fionces computer without standing out to much...

for thouse of you who havent seen it heres a few images...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    in the last image the green thingie is the motherboard including graphicscard and such in the rised part to the left, the purple is the powersupply and the silver/black behind the powersupply is a harddrive-rack...

This project never got of the drawingboard but i made a improvised setup that basicly just was a motherboard plate screwed to the bottom of a drawer...

Now on to the new stuff...

This is my plan...
    [​IMG]

its the same drawercabinet that the temporary setup was placed in but the drawer itself is pretty beat since I have upgraded the computer a couple of times and now im upgrading it again so Ill have to replace the drawer with something to get propper airflow and a clean look...

[​IMG]
    This is the drawer itself wich im going to build out of MDF.
    The stuff underneath the drives on the front is fanfilters wich in this drawing is 80mm but Im going to put 92mm filters there once i find suitable ones...

[​IMG]
    Here is a transparent view of the same shot as the previous one... behind the 92mm fans in the front is two racks for a total of four harddrives even though in the start theres only going to be one recycled rack until i get some aluminium or steelplate to bend and grind...

the green thing is as before the motherboard and the yellow cube is the psu...

[​IMG]
    a view from the back... not much to say really...

[​IMG]
    the rack and mount for the psu...

[​IMG]
    the driverack...

[​IMG]
    A front-view of the drawer... the buttons in the middle is Power and reset, they will hopefully be backlit plexibuttons if I have the time... working WAY! too much :p

So what do you think?
    Im driving to buy the MDF tomorrow and hopefully get started on the build as well...

2. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

by the way, Im looking for a radial fan roughly these dimesions...
    [​IMG]
    any ideas on where to get one?

Its going to be placed over the graphics card and blow out hot air to the back of the case...

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Seems like a chest of drawers with a computer in it. How are the users going to be able to comfortably sit? If you think that they just spreadeagle around it then it will hurt.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm wth doug here, needs a place to sit unless it's going to be a server. Maybe a small, inverted "U" shaped desk with the computer in one of the legs and drawers in the other. You could do a 30's art deco styled cabenit if yu're ambitous.

5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

6. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

my fionce always sits on the bed wich this stands right next to when shes playing Sims2 (sssch) so no need to have someplace to sit...

7. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

Captain Slug... hehehe yeah a fancontroller might be a good idea since this computer is going to be quiet o_O

thanks for the tip :)

8. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

The MDF and hopefully all the kit I need is now purchased, soon it will begin

9. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

It looks like you are going to cut out and make ledges for the top parts to rest on. You might want to tweak in your design in by 1/2 inch and use L brackets to rest the boards on. it will be stronger and easier to make.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2006
  10. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

the fodder >> yeah, thought of that to, but decided to go this way since i have a router here :)

11. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

if you have a router then you are set. Another thing to think about is how bad MDF will flake/ chip if you have to take the case apart a lot.

12. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

yeah... but since the top probably will be open thats not really a problem...

thanks for your input and keep ideas and comments coming :)