1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High RPM, fastest 80mm and 120mm fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fannypad, 26 Oct 2006.

1. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

I'm building a 19" rack mounted rig which will be used in harsh (read: hot) environments and as a result need a few high speed fans to cool the thing.

I'm using a server case with provision to mount 120mm and 80mm fans, but only 25mm in depth...

I was aiming to get either the Vantec Tornado or Delta focused flow fans, but they are all 38mm thick.

Are there any high flow fans out there that stick to the standard 25mm depth... the faster the better, and available to buy in the UK?

Thanks in advance

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Overvolting fans will work. You can get away with 18V, defaintely 24V in the Deltas but you'd need a custom power supply.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

To be honest, unless they make them specifically for servers(an area I don't know a lot about) then I doubt you'll find any high flow 25mm fans. PC users who buy highflow seem to buy 38's, I guess it makes moving stupid ammounts of air a lot more possible. G'luck.

4. fannypad

Hmm... not too sure about that...

The machine will need to be 100% reliable with as close to zero maintenance as possible whilst being dragged around Europe and run in 35-40C heat for months at a time. Overvolting anything doesn't really sit well with the whole concept...

Last time I looked for high speed fans was back in the Athlon Thunderbird and 6800RPM Delta days and I seem to remember there being a lot of high CFM 25mm jobs around :sigh:

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The fans in the servers here are fricken loud. The 1u is the worst, using 40mm fans. Looking at them, they're pretty deep, nearly square.. maybe 38mm deep 40mm fans? The fans in the 3u (80mm) are pretty deep, too. I know they're a spare part from HP but how much they are I don't know.

6. fannypad

Thanks for the reply, but as stated I'm after 25mm ones...

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I realise that - I was stating that most server fans, which are pretty much the bees knees at outputting **** loads of cool air, are usually a lot deeper. There may be 25mm ones out there, somewhere. However, I don't think they'll output anywhere as near as much air and if you're going to be running a server in ambient temperatures of 35-40c you're asking for a heap of trouble.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Papst make a load of uber-flow fans, many of which are 120x25
    If you email them and ask them nicely they may even send you some samples

running a server in hot ambients is just a bad idea full stop though, most machine rooms I've had experience with have had environmental controls to keep the ambients at around 20c

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Isn't 20C a bit high for a server room? Or are they kept at that temp for cost of energy reasons?

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

server rooms on oil rigs are fun! CO2 cooled rooms! i think there in the 5 degree mark? maybe lower! remote access the works! oh and there still have haylon fire protection!

Completly off topic i know!

make room for 38mm its only another 13mm to be honest, and well most 19'' rack mounts have the room so im failing to see the problem? whats is causing the obstruction for 38's?

Are you off round europe on a big lan event like some spin off of gumball rally?

Hard-drive rallly anyone?

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Small ones are probably easier to keep cooler, but I'd imagine keeping a room the size of a football pitch at 20c isnt especially economical!

I do quite a bit of work in the machine rooms as well and I wouldn't appreciate it being any cooler than 20C, I freeze my ass off as it is (20C doesn't sound *too* cold, but it feels pretty chilly where theres zero humidity)

12. fannypad

The Antec rackmount case I'm using has plastic clip type fan mounts which can only accept 25mm deep fans, and no existing holes that line up with those on a fan. I suppose I could fashion a mount, but I'd rather just get a 25mm fan to save time and hassle.

The "server" itself is going to be taken round the European teknivals in the summer months as part of a free party soundsystem, will be used to control a lighting rig and run visualisations through a projector. It'll be rackmounted in a flight case along with bits of audio gear.

It will get very hot, which is why I'm planning to use one of the 35W X2's along with a screamer fan on a Thermalright XP-90 (best compromise between cooling capability, size and weight... don't want it falling off during lugging the thing around).

Just for a laugh, I undervolted my standard X2 3800+ and placed the board inside a cardboard box with a hairdryer running full blast into a hole. Got ambient temps up to about 40C and it was running fine at full load with just a Zalman 7000Cu, so it looks as if the rackmount rig specs are overkill but it's best to be safe than sorry.