1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does a gaming PC always have to be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ob2, 2 Nov 2006.

1. ob2

ob2 What's a Dremel?

Just read about Valve making games for quad-core CPUs in the not too distant future. Personally this makes me feel furious because I have spent over $2000 building my PC this year and next year if I want to play the latest games I have to upgrade to a quad-core CPU a DirectX10 graphics card and also Windows Vista aswell because DX10 dosent work without the OS to play games like Crysis. I just wish that game developers would stay with the current hardware for a few years instead of making games that need a beast of a machine to play these games on. :miffed:

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Firstly: welcome to the forums :thumb:

Secondly: then just buy an xbox

Thirdly: Just because HW sites always review the latest greatest CPUs & GPUs doesn't mean you can't play games on slightly older hardware (I just recently upgraded from an Athlon XP system)

Check out this thread (link)

Last edited: 2 Nov 2006
  3. N.A.N.O.

N.A.N.O. What's a Dremel?

the games, who will be released now and in the future (till mid 2007), don't need dual core so nothing to worry about, only the graphics.

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I think these software changes that valve are doing to enable whatever amount of core are just to make the game future-proof so it's not such a big worry, it's not like you can't run the game without that level of hardware.

I do admit that it is a pain in the ass but then we all live through it, I'm still running on an Athlon XP2500+ system with 512mb of RAM and a Radeon9800pro how do you think I feel when I lag a bit in games like CS:Source, COH etc. :(

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The trick to it, is to never spend a huge ammount of money on a computer. Always buy the midrange stuff - that way you never pay a premium for some extra performance that turns into standard in 3 months.

The constant upgrade requirement is annoying, but it's all part of what PC gaming is. PC games have the ability to have the best graphics, and this is mostly due to the fact that PC's can be constantly upgraded while console gamers are stuck with the latest version of whatever for 3-5 years.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Exactly spec - gaming PC's need constant upgrades to keep up with the rate that games technology progresses.
    Game technology on consoles is all developed on the PC first - HDR, AA, AF: all that jazz came on the PC first, then moved to consoles later on. It's an expensive addiction, but well worth it imho. :D

7. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

dude, if you just spent 2K on a system, its gotta be similar to mine (****ing streaming) the way i see it, is that a high end system in todays technology, will leave you with a high/mid range system thats easily capable of playing newer games with a few fancies turned down, and when youve decided youve had enough of poorer and poorer qaulity, then you upgrade 1 part at a time. Besides, everything youve seen crysis played on in demos is using DX9 cards, so why bother upgrading for another year and a bit. im not gonna upgrade until qaud core prices drop and G80 prices considerably drop.

8. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Since when have we ever "had" to to have the newest pc tech to play the newest games?? Maybe at the highest settings its needed but to just play the games, even at decent settings your comp will last a couple of years.

And despite the fact that the next jump is a pretty big one (multi cores, DX10, DDR3?), it's not been kept quiet. So if it was going to bother you this much, shouldn't you have waited a few more months to splash out on a decent system??

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The problem with waiting at the moment is that there's ALWAYS something coming out soon.

First it was A64, then it was Crossfire/SLi, then it was A64 X2, then it was 7900's/X1900's, then it was C2D, now it's Kentsfield, next it'll be G80, then it'll be ATi's first DX10 part, then it'll be K8L, then bla and bla bla. The cycle goes on.

10. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

exact the same here almost spended €700 on upgrades this morning until a girl on school said Why already you just bought a new computer half a year ago, that made me think, now i'll wait for another half a year :D

btw mandy if you might read this thanks for saving me €700 :thumb:

11. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

You don't need Vista for DX10 because they are going to release it for windows xp (I think that's right). What valve is doing will only really help dual cores right now. You won't need a quad core for top performance from what I understand but rather it will help out the Dual cores that have been somewhat lacking in gameing. As for videocards? well it's always been that way. Gamers should be prepared to upgrade constantly BUT only if you like High res gameing. At 1280x1020 I had the same setting on my 6800Ultra as my 7900gtx and they both ran fine. Bump it up to 1900x1200 and all of the sudden my 6800Ultra needs low quality on everything while my 7900GTX, for the most part, keeps on going.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Completely wrong actually. MS have catagoricaly stated that DX10 will be vista only. It's not just a marketing thing(as much as I'd love to say it is and bash MS) - Vista has been designed from the ground up to offer better game support and DX integration, and from what I understand XP basicly just cannot have the level of integration that DX10 requires of an OS since it's already released and on everyones PC's.

13. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Well then, until I manage to get a working copy of Vista for free, I guess I don't need to upgrade! I am mostly annoyed by having to upgrade basically every part of my computer for a new system, so I'm just not going to upgrade any of it for a while, it works fine with new on decent settings! Although, constant upgrade is annoying, its also kind of fun to have to look around and see what's best, that's how I learned most of what I know about hardware!

14. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

i got a crappy p4 3.0 ghz 1 gb ram and a x700pro AGP vid card.
    im sure what you got is fine compared to mine

15. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

yep, looks like XP guys are stuck with 9.0L unfortunately.

16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

See originally I was going to wait for the quad core and the DX10 offering from nVidia, but now i'm thinking oh i'll wait for ati's dx10 and the K8L so a comparison can be drawn. I'm not buying/building to march becuase thats when the funds will be accumilated lol but still, it is that age old thing as has been said on many occasions that there will be something new on the horizon.

The way I look at it, when it comes to march (well the end of...so that will be april then...hmmm lol) I'll see whats going on, ati probably will have their cards out then so they will be compared, and hell if its only another month for the K8L to come out then i'll wait for that and see how they compare.

I guess its all about seeing whats going on at the time, my rig isn't stonking by any stretch but it isnt enough to force me to build right now and I guess that is the same for most people who are waiting for K8L to be released?!

17. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

look at my sig. just wait as long as i have, then upgrade. it makes it so much more awesome :D

18. customh

customh conflagration.

right tdk, mom had a dell p3 then went to an a64 venice and it was sweet. I get the dell for a bit (my first pc that was MINE..sorta) then i went to a 1700+ then to a 3000+ Barton XP, i could sit on this forever. I dont game, so that is why. Its jsut a cycle and you have to play it right, thats the game, there will be something better coming out for a looong time now the way technology is.