1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple macbook - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fruit monkey, 6 Nov 2006.

1. fruit monkey

fruit monkey What's a Dremel?

so sorry if this is already been asked or talked about but I am currently saving for the white macbook with these specifications....

1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512MB SO-DIMMs
    80GB Serial ATA drive
    Keyboard & Mac OS
    13.3-inch TFT display

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0

Power Adapter

Battery

However - i am starting to wonder if it is really worth the £1009?? I guess you are really paying for the brand rather than the hardware as you would not normally pay an extra £350 for 2gb mem (i am NOT doing this - instead going for an extra £70 for 1gb - slightly more reasonable)

Any thoughts? Cheers :)

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

is it worth it to you?

then buy it!
    they're nice machines and you won't be disappointed.

3. fruit monkey

fruit monkey What's a Dremel?

thanks! lol yeah i do love the look of them and need a lap top with mac os for uni next year so i suppose so... just wondering if its worth getting some other cheaper one?

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I bought a 12" Powerbook about two years ago for 1850Euro (1220£). And I have not regretted it for a minute, in fact, I would do it again without any doubt. I did regret however buying 1000euro (660£) worth of hardware for a desktop PC.

I think they are worth it (hardware). You just can't compare them to PC's. I'd get it..

Good luck,
    L

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

My friend lent me hers for a week, and TBH i was sad to give it back, i didnt get a chance to install Windoze or do anything interesting to it as it wernt mine but i was really impressed.

Even thinking of investing in one.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

wait.. you need it for uni? you're a student?

do you have access to your uni's network yet?
    http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk (from within uni)

discount!!

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

In my experience, it's worth it. Just don't buy extra RAM through Apple... they gouge you like no tomorrow. That said, I would recommend having no less than 1GB. I'd say you're best off getting the baseline model at £749, and spending the other £250 on upgrades elsewhere (either better upgrades or cheaper). Unless you think you'll need a lot of really portable storage, you can get a 300GB+ drive and a $30 external enclosure, plus the extra RAM... I dunno if you'll really need a DVD burner, but an external one will be a lot faster in either case.

Can't honestly say what would be best for you, but Apple makes a TON of money on the upgrades. So if buying stuff separately and upgrading yourself is a reasonable option (ie, external backup/storage drive, which I'd recommend having regardless), I'd go for it - it's a much better value.

8. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I've had one for a few months, and, honestly, I can't recommend it more. The obvious thing is the OS, and I haven't met someone who has actually spent time with OS X and disliked it. But in the off chance that you don't like it, the macbook is a very nice windows (or linux) computer as well.

As far as the "apple tax" goes, I don't think the base model suffers from it too much. It's a little more than some of the really cheap stuff, but it has some really good specs for the price and is a quality job. The middle upgrades (1gig ram, 80gig drive) cost a little bit more than they should, but I went for them and paid a little bit more to save myself the trouble. The decked-out model, however, is fairly ridiculous.

Also, don't expect to be playing much in the way of games: they will run in boot camp, but it is still integrated graphics. But I say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

9. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

The range has just been updated to Core 2 Duos too, if that helps at all.

10. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Good spot, very nice! Much better value now :naughty:

Tags: