1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls HELP!!! PC refuses to boot!! cos of mouse issue? PROB SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by HairyEyeball, 4 Nov 2006.

1. HairyEyeball

HairyEyeball What's a Dremel?

all the caps are ok, no bulging or leaking of any kind. would the other ide port make a difference? I wouldnt have thought it would have because thats where the dvd drive is and it still freezes when setup trys to start. Will give it a go though and let you know what the outcome is.

2. HairyEyeball

Just tried that with no joy TUT I have noticed that a fraction of a second before it freezes the keyboard lights flash on and then off. dunno if that helps with anything. Doubt it but thought id mention it just in case lol

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think your mobo is ****ed tbh. Might be worth trying to reflash the BIOS perhaps but it might be worth giving her an upgrade. Im sure playing the sims will be more fruitful on better hardware.

4. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

++ It certainly doesn't sound good.

Unless you're going with like for like mobos (e.g. the same chipset) you'll probably be looking at having to reinstall and reactivate XP.

5. HairyEyeball

Was hoping it wouldnt come to that :sigh: If I do change the mobo, is it straight forward? Would I not just have to install the new motherboard drivers on to her hard drive? Also, Are the installation instrucions easy to follow etc? I'd like to do it myself but it just seems a bit of a daunting task lol

6. ỒĊBłůē

I've tried Googlin' for your mobo and didn't find much, but then I found something about it being of a TriOptix form-factor.

Other than ebay, I'm not sure you'd have alot of luck getting a replacement motherboard and even less luck finding an identical replacement for your one.

The only TriOptix motherboards I can see for sale outside of ebay are in new barebones systems.

Unless you replace yours with a mobo running the same chipset, you'll end up having to reload Windows anyway.

7. customh

customh conflagration.

Any USB devices plugged in other than keyboard and mouse? I have had a problem like that when my external hard drive is on.

8. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

As customh says, check the usb connections. My computer won't boot with my thumb drive plugged in, for example.

9. HairyEyeball

Thanks blue, I just assumed it was a micro atx lol lucky i didnt go buy one eh lol

Thanks Customh + Callum,
    I had a usb printer and a usb mouse plugged in. It seems to be the mouse causing the problems. Starts up fine with the printer in and without the mouse. but not the when the mouse is plugged in(with or without the printer).
    I tried a normal ps2 mouse and it freezes with one of those too?
    Seems that it wont boot with any mouse plugged into it. Once its booted up I can plug the usb mouse back in and it'll work but cant be doing that all the time! Is there anything I can do to fix it?

10. ỒĊBłůē

Hey - great news that there's nothing broken then :thumb:

I don't know what I'd suggest to fix that - a motherboard BIOS update (if you could find one) might be an idea; probably best to check all BIOS settings that relate to USB devices first, to make sure something in there isn't causing the problem.

Or maybe borrow another USB mouse and try booting with that?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go into the BIOS and there should be a "USB keyboard/mouse" setting with BIOS or OS option, just try either/or. It doesnt make sense that it doesnt like mice that are PS2 AND USB.

As for changing a mobo, it's a very simple job. You've already changed heatsinks which is the worst part of the old Athlons because they didnt have a heatspreader and you could easily chip the core. Ive got no idea if the Asus terminator was a custom size job, but you'll just be swapping stuff out of your current one and plugging it into the new one. The mobo's come with drivers or you can get them off the manufacturer website, it's easy as.

http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=1&l2=2&l3=406&model=79&modelmenu=1

this one?

Version 1003 2005/02/04 update

Latest BIOS version.

12. ỒĊBłůē

The problem I was thinking of would be obtaining a new motherboard and fitting it.

I can't seem to find a replacement A7VC board on ebay, or a TriOptix form factor replacement.

I think this is an older version of the one off the Asus site, but the layout looks the same.

It doesn't look like a straightforward job to stick even a FlexATX motherboard in there; the simplest solution would be buying a replacement barebones system if it came to that (which fortunately doesn't look like being necessary).

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tbh, the Terminators are ugly mofo's. I'd be tempted to just chuck it and get a 2nd hand socket A shuttle. Smaller, works better and uses the same components.

14. ỒĊBłůē

++ Seconded :D

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What make is the mouse? Have you tried newer drivers? Have you tried uninstalling the mouse from the device manager and then rebooting?

16. HairyEyeball

I checked the bios and all seems ok in there as far as usb options go. The version is the latest available (1003) Would flashing it with the same version make any difference? Could the bios have become corrupt in any way? If that wont work and all else fails I will look into getting a new mobo + case (which will prob mean more money on new ram to as most are 184pin and hers is 168pin tut lol)
    I have tried USB and PS/2 and both types have the same effect so I cant see that making much difference but will give anything a whirl lol

17. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

This sounds like a problem I've had before. Basically it's a grounding problem. Something on the motherboard is being shorted or not connected. What I do when this happens is simply take out the motherboard, put it on a static-free mat, give the computer a thorough cleaning, then put everything back together.

Some cases are more prone to this sort of thing. I've got a server-tower that always shorts, whereas I've got a coolermaster case that has never had that problem.

I know this seems like a long shot, but I've had grounding problems cause symptoms everywhere from an IDE channel not working to a computer refusing to go past POST.

You might want to give it a try before you go out and buy a new motherboard/computer.

18. HairyEyeball

Thank you!! I did what you suggested and everything seems to be working ok now. I have done 7 successfull boots now without any hang ups at all.

Thanks again.
    And thank you to everyone else for there help and suggestions etc... You all been a great help.

Regards,

Trevor

19. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Wow this tread is like a nice fairy tale... All filled with troubles and torments :eeek: , and many galant knights that try to help the king and the princess, but no one find the wise stone. But then... at the very end comes the Reaper_Unreal (the evil turns good :rock: ) and saves the day, the kingdom, king and espeicially the little princess.

I was so happy when I read the last post you cant believe it :waah:

Great stuff. Happy it turned out well for you :clap: