1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. Gin0TheCop

Gin0TheCop What's a Dremel?

Hi again.. I received my Sony LCD (PAL) and did the VGA mod.. What i wonder is when you check the pinouts at http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm it says pin (6) is for sync. But at starfox's page VGA pin(13) is connected to pin(5).. Any ideas which one is the correct one?..
    By the way s-video option works fine but i still couldnt find the correct timings for VGA yet.. Been doing the dummy way and after a while when i try to adjust timings my screen will go blank with backlight on. I wonder this could be an isue with those pins (5) or (6)? Besides when i get to the page in powerstrip where you adjust timings the interlaced box is always unchecked. When i click on it the pixel clock goes high and the box remains unchecked. I am using an ATI X1600pro and connecting the LCD via DVI port with the adapter supplied. All I could get till now over VGA is a scrambled image on the screen.(Like flickering 3 coloumns of the image )

2. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

i got my psone lcd today :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    need to to the VGA mod, i think i'll use the bit-tech guide (or shouldn't i)
    and make a 12V to 7.5V mod (any1 have a good one?)

3. Springs

Springs Boing boing

best thing for the power mod is to get a ps one car adapter and change the lighter end of the plug to a molex as they both run +12V

4. Gin0TheCop

I have done the starfox's wiring. And also added a 24LC21 EEPROM to the unit so now i dont have to use a dummy monitor and my PC recognizes the LCD whenever i boot it. Still working on timings. The timings (or anything close to it) of starfox didnt work for me. I spent like 7-8 hours on timing adjustment still no good.. Wondering its an issue related to my soldering skills. I double checked and it looks ok to me with no shorts and all..

5. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

how can i check the screen work without doing the mod?

6. Gin0TheCop

OK I finally got mine working.. I received Matrox Mystique 220 PCI card today. And installed it on one of my PCI slots. Then made PCI primary display from setup first. Then installed the latest drivers. Then form the setup I made the AGP slot primary again (or else ati try tools wouldnt start). And now it works like a charm. I am using 768X576 resolution as mine is a PAL version. And my timings are;
    [​IMG]

IaKoVl : I think best way to test it without the VGA mod is to try s-video connection. Thats what I did. Simplu connected it via s-video cable and now I also now how much better the picture is after the vga mod..

I only have 2 issues to deal with now.. First I cant get DVD's appear on LCD yet. Theres a black box where the movie should appear. And other thing is I can't update EDID to the 24LC21 eeprom.. If i can load my timings to eprom i will not need to load powerstrip... But it works perfectly as it is now except the DVD issue..

My first plan was to mod my Silverstone HTPC case but I am changing my plans.. I will build a seperate box for the lcd.. And guess what I will use an aluminium make-up stuff box and yeah I bought that to my wife as a gift so everyone is happy..

Last edited: 29 Oct 2006
  7. Gin0TheCop

Some Pics

Ok here is the stuff I needed for the mod:
    [​IMG]

And this was my initial victim.. But I changed my mind. For two reasons; first I dont know how good i can cut this beauty and second I want to be able to change the screen angle as I use the LCD.
    [​IMG]

And I bought wifey a nice gift so she will complain less as I work on my mod ;)
    [​IMG]

Soon she felt a little sorry as I emptied the case and start cutting it with my dremel :)
    [​IMG]

Yep LCD fits in the alu case perfectly.
    [​IMG]

OK.. Now this tiny piece can rest in its temporary housing till I finish the alu box... (This was taken before VGA mod so its a s-video connection there)
    [​IMG]

I will soon add an on/off switch, drill holes for s-video in (in case i intend to use it in the future), power and VGA cables in.. Some plexi work will be needed for the back cover of the box.. We will see how it will look..

Thats all for now.. I might end up with a crappy LCD housing but worths to give it a try..

8. Gin0TheCop

Ok here is the result

Picture looks better in real life

[​IMG]

From side:

[​IMG]

From back:

[​IMG]

Another pic from back in dark:

[​IMG]

Well not the best box.. But its ok for a first time modder..

9. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

when i tried to see videos on the lcd, the image was in a diferent aspect ratio, i solved it (while using bsplayer at least) by changing aspect ratio form original, to 4:3 (or a wide one if the video was wide).

i first did this mod with 1 lcd and a matrox mistique, getting a good picture was as easy as setting 640x480i(arcade), and then moving refresh rate a little (always interlaced), then i moved to 2 lcds, and a gf5500fx (pci too).

it was still easy, but half the time i start my computer, it worked, the other half it would freeze during the loading of the first apps/drivers/whateve after i ge to see my desktop.

i decided to try with an ati radeon 7000 now.... and i CANT get my lcd to show anything (only when i dont use powerstrip, i get the cut in half moving screen, after i lower refresh, or set the arcade resolution, image goes crazy :()

has anyone tried it with a similar card ?
    ill try DFI suport to see if they know whats wrong with my other pci card, this one doesnt hangs my os, but doesnt work with my lcds...

pd: i just bought 2 24lc21, they were hard to find over here in argentina)

EDIT: ok, this is weird, with the 7000, i get an image that looks awfully deformed, but my mouse ponter looks perfect (that when i switch to arcade with c-sync and interlaced enabled). il keep working.

edit2: ok ,after reading this thread again, i saw 2 guys that got their 7000 to work, but never posted how, i sent pms just in case :p
    the card is listed as compatible, but many people failed to ue it :(

EDIT3: fixed XD

disabled tilling (dunno what that is, never needed to with other cards) and now it works on my ati radeon 7000 XD

Last edited: 8 Nov 2006
  10. Gin0TheCop

In my first soldering and connection I was able to update edid on 24LC21 eeprom.. But as the cable i was using (a VGA cable stripped off an old monitor) was really crappy I decided to use CAT5 cable. Now the signal is much better on LCD.. The surprise for me was I had to re-adjust my timings after renewing my cable.. Now I have another issue though..I also replaced my 24LC21 eeprom (it was easy to fing them here in Istanbul/Turkey) Now I cant get to writeEDID on this one.. All my connections are double checked and everything is the same as before.. Weird.. I only dont remember if I had Ati Tray Tools running at first time I wrote on first eeprom.. Now I tried unloading almost everything but still no go..

I have it running on Matrox Mystique PCI at the moment.. But it sucks a lot of CPU power and it becomes a pain to use the pc when watching TV on the LCD.. So I need to write on the eeprom and I will be able to use the LCD on my Radeon X1600Pro AGP..

11. elmodder

im in the proces of writing to the eeprom (i still dont know how to convert the powerstrip settings into edid data, but im not there yet either).

on my radeon 7000, it tells me theres no valid edid at all.

if i put my lcd on the second port of my 7600gt, it sees a valid edid in port #1 (psone lcd) and port#2 (dell2007wfp).

now i have to learn how to get the correct settings into an edid :/

12. elmodder

ok, the 7000 refuces to write/read/SEE the eeprom.

even after i have programed it, its like its not there for it, which is kinda good, cause im having problems with WHAT to write to it :/

i have an NTCD lcd, and after writing to the eeprom, my 7600gt thinks the lcd must work @640x960

no image is displayed, and powerstrip cant even acces the custom timings :(

any kind soul who has a .dat of an NTSC lcd ?

EDIT:
    i was using the video intup definition in digital, that caused de ugly res bug or whatever it was, now i used analog, the psone lcd is detected without the dummy trick, but it refuces to use the tweaked res :(

i spent all the afternoon failing (i even accidentaly wrote the psone edid to my dell... lucky me i have more diplays available, and that i had a copy of my dells original edid).
    ill try again tomorow

Last edited: 11 Nov 2006
  13. elmodder

well, still in the same place, my pc recognices the lcd without the dummy, but something is not right and its like my settings are not beiong used.

im not really sure what to use on this tabs ofthe edid editor:
    basic display parameters
    color / established timings
    standard timings

i took the edid from an lcd and 2 crt monitors i have, and tryed many diferent things, with no luck.

then, in the detailed timings tab, i set what i have on powerstrip, but there are some options that i dont know what to set them too (not numerical ones).
    Also, there are 4 bloks there, i haven o idea what to do with the other bloks.

i tried many things, copied setings from others, with no luck

anyone with a valid edid (pal or ntsc) would really help me. (the one on firingnow is recogniced as invalid by my phonex edid designer, i have v1.3)

14. Gin0TheCop

You are luckier than me elmodder.. At least you can write on your eeprom.. Where are you getting 5V from? As shown on firingnow.com? If so which part of the back of the LCD is the positive and which is the ground? Because on my first attempt I used power from my PSU but since I am trying to use the power from the back of the LCD its a no go...
    What I had done on my first attempt with the EDID was; I copied the raw edid data from firingnow.com.. Opened the text editor, copied the data into it and saved the file as a .dat file. Then I opened the file with phoenix and only changed the numbers in detailed timings tab on block one as seen in my pwerstrip timings. As I was only testing if I could write on the eeprom, my timings were not the correct ones so I dont know if it would work with the correct timings as I can not write on my eeprom anymore..

15. elmodder

the +5v is from one of the top legs of the "black thing"

the bottom fat one is ground.

i sometimes get a write protected message, but restarting my pc fixes it somehow.

edit:

ok, doing that the ,dat file generated is accepted by phoenix XD

im playing a dota match now, ill check if it works later, if it does, youll be my hero XD

16. Gin0TheCop

Ok just let me know the result... Now I am 100% sure my connections and soldering is fine.. And I dont know why the hel I can not write on this eeprom..I am stuck now..

17. elmodder

when i get the write protected msg, sometimes i try agian ,and it works (also, some times, when i try to update the edid, i get the option to open a file as soon as i click on update edid, but sometimes i get the no valid edid found, scan bus thing).

loading the file johny used did nothing, the info is written to the edid, i can get it back with phoenix or powerstrip, but my screen remains @640x480 60hz :(

edit: ok, my eeprom decided to be write protected now (im positive that i didnt write to it more than 200 times yet :/)

EDIT2: ok, my matrox mystic (that sucks and i dont want to use XD) was able to write to my edid.

NOW, i thought it wasnt working, but... someone should have told me that the 640x480i would be available on the advanced properties, but not aoutomatically set :/ (i feel dumb)

for some reason my radeon 7000 cant see the edid, no read, no write, so i guess i must hope that my gf5500fx keeps working :/

Last edited: 12 Nov 2006
  18. Gin0TheCop

Yes it was the same for me when i succeeded to write my edid. It would give the option to open the edid file immediately after i choose update edid. Or sometimes it would allow me to scan the bus routine. But now everytime i try, it will scan the bus, tell me that it found an eprom with an invalid edid, and after choosing the file, shorting legs 7 and 8 and hitting ok button..Its a relatively long pause and i get the write protected message.. It is the same routine on my every single attempt..

19. elmodder

that sucks.

shorting those pins did nothing with my 7600gt when my eeprom decided to be write protected.

my radeon 7000 seems to not suport "seeing" the eeprom/edid

my matrox mystique could write to it, and after rebooting, i could select the custom res from the advanced properties and it worked.

when i changed to my gf5500fx, on the dvi out, it was like i had selected dvi out on the edid designet instead of VGA, the resolution was detected as 640x960i (no image of course).

i modified the edid a little, but the eeprom was write protected again :/
    i changed the lcd to the vga port (i had it on the dvi one cause i have 2 lcds and i had the timings for the dvi port on this one), and i could write to it again, but im back to square one, my computer ignores the information on the edid, or it accepts most of it, but it refuces the interlaced part (even if it says 30hz interlaced on the advanced tab )

20. Gin0TheCop

I will consider myself lucky if i could write anything on my eprom... So i can get rid of the Mytique and use the LCD on DVI out of my ATI Radeon X1600Pro with powerstrip..

EDIT 1: Uninstalled PowerStrip re-installed it.. Still no good.. :duh:

Tags: Add Tags