1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

if you just want to use the dvi out, build a monitor dummy or whatever its called, really easy, and jsut a swap each time you start your computer (thats what ive been doing al along, but doing it with 2 dummys is tireing :p )

Components needed to build the VGA dummy:

3 resistors (75 ohm)
    1 HD15 male connector (or a ripped cable from an unworking monitor)
    NOT MANDATORY: cover for the HD15 (similar to DB9) for a clean VGA dummy finish

Tools needed:

Iron

Building the device is as simple as it can get - carefully soldering a 75 ohm resistor between pins 1-6 at the back of the HD15 connector, doing the same with pins 2-7 then again with 3-8. Once all is done, covering the final result might be wise to avoid eventual shorts between VGA pins.

[​IMG]

now, lets go over the proces of the eeprom mod:

1: build the hardware > done
    2: modify an edid > done (???)
    3: write the eeprom
    4: reboot

thats it ? windows automatically detects the 640x480 interlaced resolution ? or do i have to set it ? it was ok on the mystique (wrong timings tho, i used the ones for my "non edid detecting" radeon :p), but on the other cards, when i reboot, windows uses 640x480 60hz, or some weird 640x960, but never the correct more :(

do i need to write a custom driver with powerstrip or something ?

edit: did you try using your x1600 for writing the eeprom ? switching vgas solved my problem last time (the write protected one only tho :p), shorting the pins did nothing.

edit2: i dont understand whats happening. If i set the resolution to 640x480 interlaced, windows offers me only 640x480@60hz non interlaced, or 640x960@30hz interlaced (960 is 480 + 480)
    if i use the edid from johny, i get 720x550@50 hz, or 720x1080 interlaced -_-

so i thought, lets set the scond value to 480/2, but that gave me 640x480@50hz and no interlaced oprion :/
    i think that something i must be doing is wrong, too bad i dont know what :/

Last edited: 12 Nov 2006
  2. elmodder

i keep getting weird results :(

this is what i curently have in my edid, if anyone wants to take a look at it, ill apreciate it XD

[​IMG]

this are the options windows offers me after i write the edid.

[​IMG]

this is what powerstrip reads from the lcd (when i tell it to read directly from the lcd)
    [​IMG]

here you can see how the vertical active pixels are locked to 960 even tho i chose 480 on the edid designer :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Nov 2006
  3. Gin0TheCop

Gin0TheCop What's a Dremel?

My understanding was once you succesfuly updated your edid into your eeprom.. It should work without any other windows based adjustments needed. When I look into your screenshots, I see that you are not using c-sync? What I ve read from the topics on this mod was, it is not possible to get a proper image from the lcd without c-sync. And c-sync is not an option with most Nvidia cards..

Anyway.. At my first attempts the same was happening to me as well. The resolution wouldnt change under advanced timings tab even if I changed it form windows or first configuration screen of PowerStrip.. After my second soldering and number of trials (i really dont know how i did it as i ve been tempering with this stuff for days now) I can set the resolution (add new and all) without any problems. But still no luck updating the edid.. (By the way when I had that resolution setting problem the update edid function was working as you described above).. Now I truly suspect this has something to do with windows registry.. I might be wrong ofcourse but i will try to find another computer with an ATI card and try to update my edid on that computer. I cant be bothered to re-install windows from scratch as I have so many software and setting and all to do if I follow that route..

And yes I did try to write on my eeprom via my x1600pro several times..

4. elmodder

its funny that my ati card doesnt see the eeprom.

the mod works kind of better with my mystique that suports c-sync (using c-sync with my ati card trashes everything tho XD)

with powerstrip, and by conecting the c-sync pin of the psone lcd to both h and v sync pins of the vga cable, i can get a perfect image, but maybe it wont work with this mod because of this ? (no csync suport) "?

i have to reinstall windows cause now half the times i load powerstrip, my system freezes :/

too bad we are the only guys doing this now :(

i think the hardware part of my mod is right cause i can write to the did and windws detects the lcd without the dummy, and also, it kinda worked on the mystique.
    maybe the edid mod wont work without powerstrip without c-sync suport.

now i have a rotating screen on the lcd, its gotten better, i think :p

on the edid designer i have composite selected, did you find anything weird other thatn that ? XD

pd: maybe you can get a new 24lc21 :p (im using a 24lc21b, the only thing available here, it seems identical).

reading the 24lc21 datasheet i say that there is a new model, 24lcs21A, thi one has a pin for write protection, maybe we could ask hony or some other guy with knowledge in electronics to modify the mod to use it ? XD

5. Gin0TheCop

I have 5 of those 24LC21s.. As they costed pennies I bought number of them just in case.. And I am using the 3rd one now with no luck.. :D.. I might though resolder the first one with wrong edid data so I can use the LCD together with powerstrip via my X1600pro and no more dummy route...

6. elmodder

they are worth u$s 4 here (thats 12.** argentine pesos), i only bought 2 (one for each lcd) :p

i think that maybe, my nvidia drivers can be getting in the way o this mod, cause they have an option for setting timings similar to powerstrip, but after you use it, they change in weird ways :p

7. elmodder

here is a pic of the lcd with the settings that DONT work on the gf cards, but it does work on the mystique (the screen is a little out of "focus" cause the timings on the edid were for the gf5500fx, not for this card).

[​IMG]

i HOPE that i have a driver problem and reinstalling windows will help me XD

with the same edid settings, i have the box for showing non suported refreshes greyed out, and i can only see 60, and on the ADAPTER tab, on list all modes, on this card, if i remove the check on hide unsuported modes, 640x480 30hz interlaced apears, on the nvidia cards, i cant check or uncheck the beforementioned box, and i only have 2 kinds of resolutions (again, same did settings):
    640x480 @ 60 hz @ diferent color qualities.
    640x960 @ 30hz interlaced @ diferent color qualities (i wonder were this stupid and weird resolution came from).

i dont know why my ati cards refuce to see the eeprom, i see that you have a pal screen, so im guessing that you have the ddc +5v (pin 10 or nine on the vga cable) conected ?

8. Gin0TheCop

Yes mine is a PAL and yes my pin 9 on VGA is connected to pin 10 on LCD... Today after booting my pc. I tried to update the EDID again.. Weird it said its updated successfully and pc needs to reboot.. I followed but was a false alarm.. Didnt write a single bit on my eeprom.. I am almost sure now this is a software issue.. I will hopelessly keep trying.. Cos I dont want the dummy route each time I boot and also dont want to use Mystique as its way too slow and sucks most of my cpu power when used.. Are you using a c-sync converter together with your Nvidia? That should do the trick as far as i ve read on the forums..

9. elmodder

nope, im only conecting v-sync and h-sync to the c-sync cable of the lcd. ive done that since i saw rudyatek guide, it works with the mistique, (without activating c-sync), with the ati and with the nvidia cards :p

normally, putting my samurize config on the lcd when using my matrox mystique used a los of cpu, but now without powerstrip it doesnt (weird :p)

ill buy a matrox pci card with suport for dual monitor for 16 u$s and see if i can make it work with it (also, ill try to change my gf5500fx driver to the one provided by microsoft).

did you try diferent versions of powerstrip ?

10. Gin0TheCop

nope i am using only 3.65... I didnt know Rudyatek's mod would work with nvidia cards...

Then you connect that blue wire to VGA 13 and 14 right.. If so are you also connecting VGA 14 to EEPROM 7 ??

Last edited: 13 Nov 2006
  11. elmodder

i conected it, not to the eeprom directly, but the cables are conected :p

if i diconect it i need to enable c-sync wiht the matrox card, or the image rolls XD (with it conected, it works).

i tried disconecting it when the mod didnt work, with no luck (on my gf7600gt, if i disconect it, the image doesnt roll, it just apears in a diferent height each time :p )

12. Gin0TheCop

You do need a c-sync converter with an Nvidia card as they do not support c-sync... Or its not gonna work...

13. elmodder

but, it works with powerstrip :p

my ati card totally ignores the edid, but i cant use c-sync with it either, cause it suports it, but it doesnt work or something (it works by doing the same thing as i did with the nvidia).

i thought that, as it worked with powerstrip, with the nvidia cards, it should work with this mod, maybe i was wrong :p

now i have a dual head matrox card to test with.

if it keeps failing, ill build the c-sync coneverter, but i still think it should be unnecesary if powerstrip works without it.

edit: my matrox millenium g200 16 mb with dual monitor suport works with this mod XD

i thought that maybe, my nvidia cards refuced to work cause i selected composite instead of separate in the edid, ill try it just in case.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2006
  14. Gin0TheCop

If you are happy with the performance of the Matrox G200. I d say stick with it.. If not then i d take the building c-sync converter route.. Good luck.. :D

Surprisingly after booting without dummy today my pc recognized my LCD there.. Thought its because of the EDID from the eeprom but i was wrong.. It was the edid from the registry.. On next boot it disappared agin.. :(

15. elmodder

i had 3 hours of horrible failures now, my windows is borked and makes powerstrip confuse my psone lcd with my dell lcd, and writes the edid of the wrong monitor and blabla

after 3 hours i have my dell back online, tring to write the correct info for my millenium now :/

sometimes my eeprom gets write protected, i hate him XD

i saw 2 c-sync adaptors/converter, i dont really understand those diagrams, so it might be out of my reach.

16. badsnax

badsnax What's a Dremel?

Has anyone attempted to do this mod with a Zenith PS2 LCD as of yet? I have one sitting here and figured I might as well make use of it. Just wondering if anyones tried it yet before I jump in and possible mess it all up. :p

17. elmodder

is it like he sony one inside ? pins/cables and all ?

back to my stuff, the data i input into the edid works form powerstrip on my matrox, but on the edid, the image is still a litle down, with a black border on top :/
    is there a place to activate c-sync on the edid designer ? or is it automatic ?

18. Gin0TheCop

First you need the pinouts badsnax.. I ve seen some people done this mode with different lcds.. Search mp3car.com forums.. You might find something there..

About My mod: Now pwerstrip reads the edid somehow and i do not need any dummy.. i still am not sure edid comes from eeprom.. I think its somehow coming from registry...

elmodder: During my search for an alternative edid writer, i came across with this: http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/EDID_Writer.zip this is only for Nvidia cards and it will read, update/write on yout eeprom.. As its a dos utility it should be more effective but must be used with care. First write your edid data to a text file. Then from dos prompt you can read/compare/update your edid.. Wish that worked for ati cards as well.. Hope this helps with your edid problems..

Last edited: 15 Nov 2006
  19. elmodder

well, with my matrox, using the data that was correct in powerstrip as edid, produced an image that was out of its place (a little to the right, a little down).

i managed to get the right image by configuring theimage more to the upper and left sides thant what was correct, and by using thatdata on the edid, image was perfect XD

i dont know if i should try that edid writer or not now, i have my edid with the right image :p

my nvidia card refuces to write to the edid, but i used another pc and could write perfectly with the old matrox mystique (he millenium reads edid data, but cant find an edid to write to :/)

i have to build the second eeprom, for my other lcd, i might try that new writer for it (still, i have no c-cync converter, but with the millenium/mistique i must conect pins 14 and 13 as explayned on rudyatec guide, or it wont work, cause there is no powersrip forcing c-sync on )

EDIT: holly CRAP, matrox drivers wont accept the info on the edid, lucky me windows xp has defaut drivers for matrox old cards..
    unlucky me vista HASNT, so its back to powerstrip while using vista :/

20. badsnax

badsnax What's a Dremel?

well, I frankly was wondering if this was possible to do by wiring two of the PS2 ports together. The one PS2 plug connected to the mini plug that plugs into the back of the LCD screen, and the other PS2 plug that is attatched to the S-video and the RCA cables should technically be able to be clipped off then wired together.. My question really is just, do you all think that one I clip these two PS2 plugs off, I'm going to be left with a mess of unmarked wires, or should it be relativly strait forward?..

Heres an image of what I have just for an example.
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags