1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Opinions on Mazda RX7 Turbo (FC3S model)

Discussion in 'General' started by NiHiLiST, 14 Nov 2006.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I'm just wondering if anyone has owned or owns a Mazda RX7 Turbo (FC3S - the late '80s early '90s model). I know the performance figures on paper, the engines don't last long between rebuilds (60k miles seems quite normal) due to the apex seals, the fuel consumption is erm... "not great" and they are absolutely beautiful.

I'd like to know how they handle and generally what they're like to own/drive as I'm considering getting one at some point over the next 12 months or so.

2. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

My friend has an 88. It's fun to drive, handles awesome.. But the engine life really is what people say.. He's got 98k on his and its starting to show majorly now.... Fun car none the less!

3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya the rotary engine isnt all that reliable (if u take care of it good itll last a good while) but its still alot more work than normal engines

id get one none the less, cuz there hot

4. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

NiHiLiST - Get one mate! My mate had one and I am desperate for one - they are awesome cars with fantastic handling, the lightweigt Wankel engine is set quite far back in the car and they are fantastic! Just get the engine well checked over before you buy!

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

How much do they weigh, and whats the stock power when new/freshly rebuilt?

6. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

For the last Turbo FC, the power was 200 bhp (Approx a 1.3 engine!), the weight was les than 2600 lb - From Wiki.

7. NiHiLiST

Ryszvaldo, I'd say a 2.6-litre (4-stroke) is more comparable to the 13B engine than a 1.3-litre. I think I'll certainly have to test drive one based on what you guys have said; just got to try and find one at a dealer now as I don't like wasting private sellers' time if I'm just seeing what the cars are like in general without the intention of buying theirs in particular.

8. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

I was talking about displacement mate. Just my favourite car, get one and let me ride in it! :D

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

2600lb = just under 1200kg. Sorry but that just isn't lightweight. Nice power though.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

As much as I agree with Xen0, you know how much I love RX7s ;)

11. NiHiLiST

Ryszvaldo - here is a good page showing why the 13B engine is much more like a 2.6-litre than a 1.3.

They're not lightweight, but they're not heavy either, especially by today's standards.

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

my parents had a 1st gen rx-7, first year actually, and it was fun as hell to drive. And as long as you take care of the car the engine will last a pretty long time. Just make sure you give it plenty of oil, the things guzzle it in between changes.

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Anything around or over a ton without driver is worthy of taking to the canals :p.

Its your choice though.

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

behave :)

DO IT DO IT DO IT

15. dom_

dom_ --->

So you have never driven one then?
    Most fun for money you can have in a car.
    Only down side is servicing costs due to engine rebuilds.
    As for handling it is superb except when you are really really pushing the car the rear end likes to go out. But i'm talking way way over legal speeds here.

(i am referring to the later model (which is so much sexier looking))

16. NiHiLiST

dom_, when you say later model, do you mean the later (facelifted and slightly revised) 2nd gen model or the 3rd gen? I don't have a problem with the back-end having a bit of a play when it's feeling naughty, I've had it out plenty of times in my Cappuccino.

Speaking of the Cappuccino, I'm really quite loving it at the moment. There are a few problems with it (as usual) but the handling still impresses me. Maybe I'll stick with it for a bit longer than I intended...

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

And why not? If you still like it then theres no reason to get rid of it tbh. :)

18. NiHiLiST

I want more power :sigh:

19. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Contrary to what many people have been saying, rotary engines are actually just as reliable as any other if you know how to treat it properly; and no, that doesn't mean you have to drive tepidly or be ultra conservative as that is actually bad for these type of rotary engines.

20. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Engine swap. :D

Tags: