1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 can't upscale?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Nov 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

so does this mean it only does progreesive scan resolutions? 480p, 720p and 1080p.. also what crazy person decided you had to spend about £1000 on a tv to get an already expensive ps3. . thats just so stupid

3. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Yeah the PS3 will not upscale 720p games for 1080i only TV's. Sucks but most TV's being released into the market are atleast 720p now aren't they? I'm not defending Sony, they should have future proofed their system the way Microsoft did. All it took was a firmwar update and Microsoft enabled 1080p upscaling on the 360. Why can't Sony just admit that even they need to learn from their competition.

4. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

This is a potentially fatal mistake by Sony.

This is blowing up over lots of forums, there are a lot of very, very unhappy people...

This has been confirmed not just with Resistance, Ridge Racer 7, NBA2K7 and a few others are also being downcoverted to 480p. Is it any wonder people have stated that the PS3 on a standard definition display looks horrible.

@ themax

Sony has not commented yet, but if the PS3 lacks an actual video upscaler (hardware) then a simple firmware update won't resolve the issue.

5. dsjonboy

dsjonboy What's a Dremel?

hi first post :)

Im sorry but i couldn't help but laugh when i read this . This is a really really really silly mistake i mean how would u feel if you brought a HD tv 6-9 months ago mainly for the PS3 then found out it would be delayed then when it comes out your brand spanking new HD which has set you back some serious dough can only display in SD :wallbash: .

oh dear

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I smell a Microsoft-style firmware update on the horizon. Didn't they say Rev. 1.01 would be out as soon as the PS3 was?

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Apparently the game Dev's are saying the PS3 dosent have a upscaller on hardware level.....quite funny.

Apparently alot of the games will be 480p only....and that is SD i believe.

8. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

it sure is SD - they could maybe code a software upscaler tho, the cell apparently would have enough power

9. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

If the PS3 does have an upscaler then I wouldn't be suprised to see a patch in the future. If it does not, well I don't know if it's possible to code a game to upscale itself, but time will tell.

10. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

so if you have a HDTV that does 480i/p and 1080i then the PS3 which will predominantly use 720p will simply output the game at 480i?

shouldnt be to hard to fix, just needs an update no? MS did it with the 360, a simple XBL update and bam 1080p support. no reason sony cant do the same

11. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

This is getting crazy... Are people still holding out to buy these rather than the 360?

12. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i think we need a definitive answer as to wether it can upscale through hardware, i'd imagine it can as it must modify the resolutions to suit your menu settings just like the xbox does

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Like Sony needed something else to piss everyone off. Absolutely inexcusably pathetic.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

WTF? no way, sony are not that dumb..... i hope!!!!!!

15. BladeofTheImmortal

BladeofTheImmortal What's a Dremel?

you answered your own question, if it becomes such a bloody big problem, it'll be given a firmware update. Yet another this Sony "crap" is being blown out of proportion for you.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Seeing how many people are paying thousands to get one off e-bay, I'd say CompUSA have a pretty good idea there.

-monkey

17. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

according to www.playstation.com the PS3 will support the following:

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

So there is something wrong somewhere. Even if it is just a firmware update, GOD FORBID SONY HAS ONE. Microsoft can have an update to fix their crappy pre-release 360, but OH NO NOT SONY.

IT BETTER WORK FROM DAY ONE WITH NO UPDATES OR IT SUCKS!!!!!

I'm really sick of all this. MS had problems with the 360, but I didn't hear any bashing then. Sony has issues with the PS3 and it's the end of the f***in world.

edit: and before anyone calls me a sony fanboy, i have the premium 360.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Back in my day, consoles DID work out of the box. I damn well expect things to work properly the first time around, not after a bunch of bug fixes. I'm not their beta tester, and as long as they assume I am, I won't be buying from them.

Of course, the real height of gaming for me was the SNES/Genesis days, before anyone would have even thought of internet-connected consoles. If they want to patch in new features or performance improvements, so much the better. But if I need to download a bunch of crap for my new shiny toy to work, that's unacceptable.

19. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

anti sony muckraking

20. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Makes me glad I dont plan on getting one, can do better things with the money.

Tags: Add Tags