1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wii launched, dissected and... serenaded?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 20 Nov 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

LOL, so funny he broke his TV.

Now thats what I can fun. :) It really is a fun console after all.

Even though Ive been disapointed in the Game Cube I may still buy a Wii for the novelty it is and add it to my colection of consoles. But there isnt any titles that interest me at the moment so will have to wait a while.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  3. Springs

Springs Boing boing

lol they broke it straight away... reading the main page on that site... they couldnt be bothered to get a nintendo screw bit.. so they just brute forced it apart...

4. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

this guy is full of crap. rear projection TVs have a flexible plastic front. and i dont know how much they Wiimote weights but i dont imagine its enough to break the front of a screen without him throwing it straight at the TV.

he even goes from saying it impaled his TV to saying there is a smudge in the corner.

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

I'm interested to see how much the hardware would cost to manufacture as $249 seems rather expensive for a slightly upgraded Gamecube, if this system arrived at $149-199 it would have destroyed the PS3 launch ten fold...

6. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Ninty have a policy of not loosing money on hardware :hehe:. Also the price point is supposedly to avoid them being allocated 'bargain bin' position.

Hardware specs are pretty disappointing, but I suppose they are showcasing game play, not game graphics.

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

For me though it seems the price of the actual controllers shows where most of the development cost would have went, the cpu and gpu are very commonly produced...

I understand the 'no lose on hardware' policy, but even if they sold it at manufactured cost, they could make the money back on the controllers.

I guess my point though is that if the Wii was released at say $179 / £99 many, many more people (including myself as an Xbox 360 owner) would have picked one up as a 'companion'...

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

It's definitely more than a slightly upgraded GC. From what I understand the CPU is supposed to be twice as powerful, and the GPU is much faster than what the GC had. Going by what Resident Evil 4 looks like, I can't wait to see what they can come up with for the Wii.

EDIT: Apparently the GPU on the Wii is said to be 1.5x faster than the GC. I thought it was closer to 2x...oh well.

As for the TV thing...I've held those controllers. They weigh about half a pound WITH batteries. I can not imagine how it could smash a 60 inch rear-projection television unless the guy took it by one end and threw it like a Randy Johnson fast ball from 4 feet away. I was also thinking about the plastic covering the TVs have. I'd imagine it would just bounce off.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

for the tv guy: you got PWZRD

for the insides of the wii: that was it? the cpu is smaller than the gpu..... that was it? (comparing with the ps3).

lets see which one will die first......

10. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

11. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

That controller strap is pretty well secured. I think that person probably broke their tv some other way and are trying to get nintendo to replace it.

Despite having "worse" graphics then ps3, i think that it has extremely good graphics. I find that the learning curve for the remote is relatively fast despite it seeming very ackward at first.

12. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Actually the wrist strap is fairly fragile. A friend and I were at the launch party for the Wii on saturday night, and his first time playing tennis he stepped up to smash my serve, the cord broke and the wiimote flew a good 20 feet into the window. It was quite shocking but utterly awesome. He may have been swinging to hard.
    I thoroughly enjoy the Wii. I did play a Ps3, and though the graphics are awesome, I just wasnt having as much fun as I did on Wii sports. I just have to say that the graphics will get better with time and better games.

13. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i think its the typical angry gamer syndrome.. an infuriating level of whatever game he happened to be playing sent him into a fiery temper and he launched his wii remote at the tv.. of course he had to come up with some sort of excuse

Tags: Add Tags