1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

its like there realy there lol.

are u going to fill us in more of the matching shuttle?? lol

awesome idea overall.

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hm.. well. its only in the planing stage, only made some simple 3D sketches so far. Nothing to show of until its all started.

/gnu

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hi..
    I have been very busy lately and therefore no updates. I have recently moved around a lot and I have a new appartment so there haven't been any possible work and updates. But once I get the apartment done (screen mounted etc) I will post some finishing pictures of the complete setup. There is also some minor fine tunes left to be done. The front lens will be turned around because ,the way it is at the moment, it creates a slight edge blur to the image. I don't know how I could miss such a simple thing. :wallbash:
    I discovered it at shool during a boring lesson, I sat and looked at the overhead projector and noticed that the lens was exactly the same typ I use, but it was turned the other way. I went home and tried turning the lens and Voila!! the blury edges was gone and the whole picture was crisp clear.
    I will have to refabricate the lens mount...again , but it won't be a to big deal.
    I will also post some pictures of the homemade screen in a few days.
    Thats the state at the moment, if someone was wondering.

/GNU

4. nightmare03

nightmare03 What's a Dremel?

Updates! Updates! Updates! :D

5. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

i want to build one you should like take this and make it into a mod guide you know that would be sweet

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Okay.. i've finaly managed to make a small update.
    This is the projection screen I have fabricated. I don't think there is too much to say about it as the design isn't to complex. It basicaly consists of 2 parts. The mainsupport frame and the black frame.

The first 3 pics are showing the back of the completed screen.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The screen is attached to the support frame using a staple gun. In the beginning I only attached it using a few staples. Then i streched it evenly on each side and added a few more.. then streching a little bit more while adding even more staples.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

If you zoom in to this pic you can see a small metall hook in the top of the image. There is a simillar one mounted on the other side of the frame and they are used to secure the fram onto the wall. Two screws in the wall and its only to hang int up.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Btw.. for size comparision, the tv on top of this image is a 20". And the screen is 71". Nice upgrade :p
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is the finish of the frame.. It took me one tube of putty, a heck of a lot of sanding and 2 spray cans black paint before I was satisfied. I found out that I could add a smooth shine on the finished paint by rubbing some newspaper on it. The screw hole on the side looks alot bigger in this pic than in reality so its nothing noticable.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

As you can see on this last pic.. there will be a small gap betwen the black frame and the wall, thats where I will hide a light hose to create a floating backlight effect.

Most of the triplet lens refabrication is also done...just some mounting and finetuning to do before there will be more pictures. But since time is nothing I got too much of, it will be made when time is given.
    Thats it for today :p

/GNU

7. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I love the frame and backlight idea. Makes it look real classy. And somebody just came out with an lcd tv that does the same thing, can't remember who though. Keep up the good work man and get that matching computer rolling. This is really top of the line stuff.

8. nightmare03

nightmare03 What's a Dremel?

This is one of my favorite threads :)

More updates ASAP!

@GigantoR, It was phillips who came out with the ambi-light, I assume that's what your referring to anyway.

9. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I demand a how-to.
    just kidding... Excellent work... simply a dream.. gotta get my own proxima working properly again.. it's old but bulbs are dirt cheap.. 250dkr a piece or 5 for 1000

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thx..that matching computer is not really going to be a similar case, but the main theme and design will be same as the projector and it will be a very small system, mainly for webbrowsing,fileserver, and movies.(btw. I noticed you can see the scetches of it laying on the floor in the first post, not much to see though.). I also have another larger HTPC case plan ready for the future, but loss of money and time is holding it back.

Actually..I've had a few comments about making a "how to", and I think I should give it a second thought. Maybe a separate little homepage with a little bit more easy how to would be something. Ill think about it.
    Do you have any link to a picture of your projector model? Love to see those old things.

/GNU

11. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

dude.

that projector is GREAT!

one small question though, could you explain in a little more detail how you managed to get such a nice curve on the aluminium plate in the earlier threads?!

I have tried to get some sort of soft curve like that but its tricky.

from what i read of that post you bent it around a broomstick handle (simply but pretty damn effective!) but how did you manage to keep the broomhandle in the same place at the same time as trying to apply even force on the alu and bend it!?

12. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i am not speaking for him, but a way i have made gentle curves in thin metal is to use a broomstick or other fairly long round object. you lay the metal on a hard, flat surface, preferably the floor so you can put your whole weight on it. just roll the broomstick over the metal with as much weight on it as possible. it should start to roll up. continue until you have the curve you want.
    btw, make sure you sweep the area really well befor you start, rocks or sand or whatever will totally screw your part.

13. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Visiting after a long time I have to say it's perfect. Nice work dude

14. toand

toand What's a Dremel?

Your projector looks great and I must say this project inspired me to wanna do something like this myself.
    I really hope you'll make a small "How to" guide :)

What measurments does the projector have?

15. Ducatman

Ducatman What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I am Ducatman of allinbox forum :baby:

I come here for congratulated you for your project :thumb:

it is the most beautiful project which I saw :jawdrop:

and I wanted to you asked whether I could take again same the design that box has you :idea:

i make box with :

-7.1" Sharp tft 1024*768
    -150w osram powerball
    -LEITZ EPI 1:3,6 / 325 mm

almost similar that you :hip:

veiled I hope that that will not get out of order if I copy you for design of your box :idea:

thanks and sorry for "google translator" but my english is not very good :D

French kiss at you :naughty: :D :thumb:

16. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Wow. Can't believe I missed this one. That is one stunning project.

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hi
    I have been kind of "dead" on these forums for a while but now I'm alive again.

There havn't been any work done on the projector because it has just been standing In a corner waiting for a more suitable shelf to be placed on.

Some late replies:

bixie_62
    here is a little picture of how I made the curves on the edges.
    2 pieces of wood to the left that secures the aluplate. And one piece of wood to the left that will even out the pressure to make a smoother curve, and prevent any misshaping. The broomstick is attatched to the lower of the 2 pieces of wood using normal wood screws. I pre drilled the holes to make shure the screw heads didn't peak out from the broom stick handle and ruined the alu.plate.

Behold ..my paint skillz.
    [​IMG]

Ducatman
    I'm honored when someone like what I've done and want to create something similar. Yes you are free to use my design as long as it is for your own personal use and not for commercial buissness.

good luck

/GNU

18. Ducatman

Ducatman What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your answer ;)

I reassure you, it is not for a commercial use :dremel:

I thank you for your authorization for used your design :clap:

I do not have to begin my project yet but I have already all the parts !

ps: I would like to know final dimension of your box (if possible !)

Bye GNU :hip:

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes of course, her you go.
    inner: (cm)
    40,7 (use atleast 42cm)

Outer:

But I would recomend you to calculate your own dimentions because I did a miss calculation when i started the case and reallised it when it was to late to change. I calculated the size of the box using a simple rectangle shaped modell, I totally forgot about the rounded edges in my design. I noticed that when it was time to mark out the hole for the triplet lens and it ended up ruining the right corner. I managed to solve this by moving the lens sligtly to the left and added some distances to the triplet because the focal point ended up further away..but there is unfortunately som brightness loss as a result of this. And then you will probably use other dimentions on you light case. It all depends on what parts you use..
    good luck.

/GNU

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am amazed that you got away with using a Fresnel lens on the image side of the screen - i thought they produced such a loss in image quality that you could only use them to "spread out the light" on the lamp side. oh well...