1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Look: Asus Striker Extreme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Nov 2006.

1. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

the Samsung 183 doesn't have Lightscribe

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What so it's "only" £233.82? Mate, that's still a heck of a lot for a mobo. You can get pretty decent brand boards for half that.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm, strange.. on the dabs.com spec sheet, it lists Lightscribe but on the Samsung site it says nothing about Lightscribe.. ah well, I would appear to be standing corrected :) Good job you mentioned it, tbh because I was thinking of buying that particular drive.

This looks promising

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That's a nice board, and a great review.

In the absence of anything equivalent from DFI that's No.1 on my want list I think.

5. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

I second this question - Is the heatpipe wicked (i.e. can be used inverted) or no?

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think it works fine that way, but I'm waiting for a final response from Asus. :)

7. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Don't suppose anyone knows when this is actually going to start shipping in the UK? I've had it on order for over a month now and gone through something like six estimated delivery dates with no luck :(

Starting to get reall annoying as I've got all the other parts for my new machine sat under my desk waiting for it!

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

As far as I'm aware, the boards should be shipping ASAP. We got a "final" BIOS (i.e. non-beta) from Asus a few days ago and will be revisiting this board in the very near future.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The have been in the UK since December, I nearly bought one but didnt have the money for it, as its £233

Sam

10. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Really? I noticed Scan were listing it in stock for a week or so over xmas but its back to pre-order there so I think that was a cock-up. Nowhere else I've been following has it listed in stock at all - although a few places are estimating the 19th now *crosses fingers*

It's really annoying though - I'm building a machine and have everything I need bar the motherboard and the graphics card (Asus 8800GTX) so I've got a huge pile of bits under my desk that I can't do anything with :/

11. sergiorodrigues

sergiorodrigues What's a Dremel?

dont make my mistake

its funny how noone here speaks of the instabilities and problems with this motherboard.

being the owner of one and what i considered the best memory (corsair), i must say i have gone through hell to get 4GB of memory to work on this motherboard.

and if you think this is a single case, just have a look at the asus forums or corsair forums and its not just memory...

there have definitly been people who got this motherboard working on their first attempt, but honestly they where the lucky few.

i have had to lower my memory specs way below the norm for 4 800 MHz DIMMS, (no, its not 667MHz) definitly not use the defaults the motherboard gives me, and hell, spend days running memtest V1.70 to find a stable configuration.

if i could go back in time, i would never have bought this motherboard.

this motherboard is "described" as the ultimate motherboard for gamers.
    i cant even get it running at the expected specs, never mind even thinking of overclocking...
    and it does have lots of overclocking option, thank god, but i use them to lower everything...
    id describe it as the ultimate motherboard for anyone who doesnt want to have some decent sleep.

i guess you could say "you have been warned"...

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

sergiorodrigues: welcome to the forums

What OS are you using? XP has issues with over 3GB of RAM.

13. sergiorodrigues

sergiorodrigues What's a Dremel?

OS

thanks for your reply Tyinsar.

yes im running XP SP2, and by the way if you have a link to the over 3GB XP issues, id appreciate it.

but here is the bottom line (or whatever you might want to call it):

i have corsair memory with specs : DDD2 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T (2x TWIN2X2048-6400C4D, PC2-6400 CAS4, XMS2 , NVIDIA SLI READY, Republic of Gamers Certified!, and by the way the striker is a RoG motherboard (actualy the second and last upto now)).
    i have only been able to get a stable system with 500 MHZ at 5-5-5-18-2T,
    and that is running memtest WHICH runs in DOS (ie no XP involved in the tests).

now, i dont know if you consider 500MHz 5-5-5-18-2T suficiently good to what i should be able to obtain (667 MHz using 4 DIMS) but it appears to me and to all reports i have seen and read that if each individual memory is OK, yet i can only obtain a stable system with DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T if i put my system running at 500MHz at 5-5-5-18-2T that there is something very wrong.

and my voice is not alone.
    but i appreciate your feedback and would like to hear from you again.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2007
Tags: Add Tags