1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Goovies: Why games'n'movies don't mix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 28 Nov 2006.

1. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

meh, doa was really nice, good looking girls, nice action, etc. i prefer that over a movie with "complex" storyline and a bunch of sweaty men beating each other any time (what can i say, i am a man :D ). + it was an action movie... they never have a good plot, its mostly watched for thoughtless fun.

Final fantasy... though it was awesome, the visuals itself were stunning and i thought the storyline was really good(maybe because i haven't played ff and dont know the whole story but for me, it is one of my fav movies) and as for the low box office income, i bet it was the marketings fault, i never even knew there was a movie like that until i stumbled upon it online.

resident evil... wouldn't say it was bad, not one of the best but much better then most action movies, but whats most important- i enjoyed watching it and dont regret i waste time with it (unlike many movies)

doom was an exellent action movie- just lots of action and shooting, noone who goes to watch stuff like that thinks there will be an exellent storyline, well, if they do, they have a lot to learn.

street fighter- umm, yeh, total cr*p, especially thanks to vandamme

tron wasnt bad for its time.

hadn't heard about mario movie :p

2. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I blame Uwe Boll and his incessant crap peddling

If they carry on the style of the in game cutscenes it could do quite well, but hey, it's Uwe, he can turn anything to **** by just looking at it :grr:

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The film 'HALO' will dominate everything :D Ok, im just being very hopefull, but i do think it will be good, i dont know how, but i know it will be good. I did think that Resident Evil was a good film, both of them, i enjoyed watching both films, so bring on a third, now Terminator, were do i start? Terminator 1 and 2 were awsome, brilliant effects for the time of production, and from what i understand, an excelent story line as well.

Sam

PS. all of the above is under personal preferences :D

4. bllt2bnry

bllt2bnry What's a Dremel?

I thought Doom was mostly piss poor if not a bit enjoyable. Mainly because it deviated so much from the style of the game and there was not enough hell spawn in it.

The original Mortal Kombat was indeed very enjoyable. And I did also enjoy Resident Evil a lot.

I think FF had so much potential but it was a bit TOO sci-fi.

Serious Sam film anyone?

Oblivion would be pretty ace.

5. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

there wasnt any hell spawn in it remember ;) genetic mutation ;)

i thought Doom was really poor, its just guns guns guns with none of the Doom theory behind it. They just thought "hell? nah scrap that.. lets uhm.. have any of you seen resident evil..? lets do that"

6. TMM

TMM Modder

The problem imo is that a Game can have a really really lame storyline, and still be a good game, but it'll make an awful movie. Likewise, a good story line doesn't necessarily make a good game.

7. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Which Final Fantasy movie was it? the Advent Children Movie was waaaay better than The Spirits Within.

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

:( you left out Demolition Man for SNES, that game was pretty good. The movie was fairly good for an action flick.

One movie that I would love to see made is Rainbow Six. If you could get Ridley Scott to direct and Clancy to be involved, and with a good script, that would be a really good movie(albeit if you liked Black Hawk Down). The script is half-way done anyhow. Tom Clancy's book is still one of the best I've read.

9. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Did i hear a rumour that Grim Fandango was being movieified? If not, that could be interesting if done right, as would a bunch of the Lucas Arts adventures of yore.

Edit: Damn, Wiki tells me it was a hoax ... still, one can dream.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Good question. You could always ask David Prowse how he pulled it off. :p

Interesting article, though you forgot to mention Kindom Hearts. Though not necessarily based on a movie, it is based on movie characters, incorporating the Disney world into a video game.

I think a good Goovie is possible, it just needs to be well made. The suspension of belief works on two different levels in movies and video games. For some reason, movies are accepted as probable slice of reality, even if we know full well that the story is unreal. In video games, we are much more willing to accept something truly bizarre. To wit: a game in which the sole premise is to fight a string of characters until you reach the boss.

I don't think it's just user interaction that seperates the two genres. I think the central story is the key factor. Big name actors might work to draw in the initial audience, but a good story, with believable characters, will win out over the long term. At the moment, studios have rushed to throw out movies or games because that particular franchise is the "in" thing, with no real thought to the substance of the thing itself.

Consider the Lord of the Rings games. It is arguably one of the greatest stories ever written, but the games were mediocre despite the user interactivity.

-monkey

11. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I thought the Battle for Middle Earth was a pretty good rts.

12. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Good Job matt-117. Do you work for some movie company or you have links?

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

How about Castlevania? That'd be pretty cool.

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was imho a huge mistake on Square's part.. if they had released Advent Children first they'd be ROLLING in dough... as it is, The Spirits Within was a decent film imho .... it just had nothing to do with the Final Fantasy series.. which is why I think it bombed

15. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Why does Microsoft neeed finacial backing for a movie? Gates coudl drop in $1 billion and not even blink, let alone Micro$oft as a COMPANY. So I don't get why they need more money. But whatever.

PS: I would have used Advent Children as an example, along with Last Order. As these are a better example of FF titles and show that SquareSoft/Square-Enix learned from their mistakes.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Battle for Middle Earth was decent enough, but I lost interest after a few missions. I was thinking of the direct movie-to-game translations that I played on the PS2. They really were rather poor.

-monkey

17. TheSaladMan

TheSaladMan What's a Dremel?

Good article, but you forgot Silent Hill, which is THE best game movie ever, sticks to the game's story mostly but changes it to make it fit as a movie.

18. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

They shouldn't make MGS into a movie, the game is basically a movie in it's own right.

I remember a long while ago reading on Games Central (Channel 4 Teletext :cooldude: ) that someone was making a Crazy Taxi movie. This actually correct?

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually, yes, that's true. It was as best an adaptation as you can get considering they condensed a few games into 2½ hours of movie. I sat there the whole time going "SH1.. 2.. 1... 3?!... 2.... 1..." :D:D Much fun, although probably lost of those who aren't a fan of the games.

20. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I think Clock Tower would make a good film!

Tags: Add Tags