1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics How do you work this out?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cool Chip, 28 Nov 2006.

1. Cool Chip

Cool Chip What's a Dremel?

With me messing around with batterys lately this has just intrested me upon digging around for circuit i could try building.

Clicky

The top one.

I understand how it works and why. What i need a hand in is how i can caluclate the required companant i need for a 12V version so it woudl run nicely off a car battery.

Few Questions.

What voltage can be expected after the zener? VCC minus .6?

Do i calculated voltage at the pot wiper arm to the transistor base by simply using the devider equation? I.E R1 is the pot R2 would be the 22K ?

The resistors for the other transistors base and the led current limit are fine i can work these out but trying to adapt this for 12 is a little tricky, could some one please advice on the best way to go about it.

I want the transistor to turn off at 10.5V to 11V some thing like that tbh.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks !

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

This website shows the necessary calculations you will need to perform.

3. Cool Chip

Cool Chip What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the good url, iv read that and thats fine. but since that circuit does not use the zena in that fashion i still dont understand the

zena --- pot --- resistor

Properly?

Any other reading that would help please?

4. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

The variable resistor and resistor just forms a potential divider. The circuits displayed in the link I gave you do show the circuit you are concerned about, it's just a different looking symbol since a variable resistor set at a certain position is a resistor.

5. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

Try changing the zener to the nearest preferred value, say 7.5 volts and increase the value of LED current limiting resistor.