1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung to help make Dell 27" screen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 1 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice. Is there a roundup review of 22" monitors coming soon?

Or did I miss something? :)

3. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I don't know if it's just me but I don't really see the point of buying a larger lcd with the same resolution as the 24" model.

4. booya

booya What's a Dremel?

Wonder how much that would cost?

5. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

Just like buyin a 19in instead of a 17in. A bigger screen with the same resolution means things (esp. text) are bigger and so easier to read from far away

6. masteroffm

masteroffm What's a Dremel?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1466

apparently this was confirmed all the way back in March, so what is taking so long? seems more like someone stumbled upon the spec page and is speculating that they will release a 27 inch monitor.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

sometime soon i will have to grow a third eye or just make my room bigger so i can have one of this at a comfortable distance.

8. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

Does sound interesting, it might pus the price of the 24" down more which would be good for the masses.
    I have had the 24" for a year now and its great recommend anyone to get one. :)
    And I have been eyeing up getting another 24" so i might see if this 27" is true and wait for that.

9. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

so true. i mean how big is too big. for me i think 24" would be my max for a desktop monitor. now that doesnt mean i wouldnt buy a bigger monitor for use as something else, a tv perhaps. but as far as purely desktop purposes 27" is just too big.

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Christ, that's mental! I still remember the days when 15" monitors were considered large.

tbh, I think 27" is too big...that's pretty much the same size as my main TV!

11. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

i thought they made a 30" already?

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

when the desk starts bending.

but seriously, and as already raised here, too big a screen is pointless given how close we tend to sit.

big screens are for watching, not interacting.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I use a 24" to its limits. A pair of 30" displays wouldn't be too big.

Of course, for most people it would be insane. Nobody needs a dozen pages worth of word documents visible at once. But any sort of editing or coding can really benefit from it (tabbed coding windows are good if you don't have enough space, but really doesn't come close to comparing to having them all visible at once).

Of course, I don't want much higher DPI either. What I'd really like is consistency - every display I have is different, so they never quite line up when using more than one on a machine. But you DO need to sit back a bit further from the big screens (or else you end up with a very sore neck). My 15" WS laptop is a foot closer to me than my 24" Dell, partly because it has a higher DPI (which means smaller text). I have very good vision, but I don't need to strain my eyes either.

I think for typical users, a 20" WS would be plenty. Gamers, 24-27", especially if they use their console/s on their computer display as I do. But content creators of any sort who have used two (or more!) displays know how much of a godsend it is.

14. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I think my (ahem... BRAND NEW!) desk could fit a 30" monitor. Just about. :D

While I'd jump at the chance to get a 30" or 27" for free, I wouldn't mind a 22" or 24" in practical terms, if I had the cash. It would certainly be very useful to me. My only gripe is with LCDs and native resolutions. :(

15. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I have a 24inch screen (CRT) that I bought because I wanted good gameing resoltutions and a bigger screen. Going bigger would only cost me money TBH and I wouldn't gain anything from it. This CRT costs $300 (ebay) and the next step up would be the 30incher from dell which is $1200. Add to the fact that I don't get much of a resolution increase.... The only reason I'll buy another monitor is if I decide to get something more LAN friendly (This wieghs like 135lbs)

16. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Holy cripes! That's 90% of the weight of an average adult person (If I remember correctly, the average adult weights 150lbs....but maybe that was before 70% of the population became overweight).

Weight is, indeed, one of the best advantages of LCD vs. CRT.

Hmm...and I think power usage too -- if you're using the 24" GDM-FW900 Trinitron I found on eBay, it looks like it can eat 170 Watts!

But...for a $249 eBay price, sounds like a good deal if you can muscle it onto your desk.

17. customh

customh conflagration.

Lets wait for tad to get in here and tell about his two 30 inchers plus some, he uses all of it... I wouldn't mind RTT's setup...

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

"How big is too big?"

Personally I'd love to have a touchscreen the size of a drafting table (something like this or this) in addition to a wall sized display - perhaps with a way of switching the "drafting table" (or a portion thereof) to act as a touchpad.

19. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

dual 30"s would be hot fire if i was buying for a 3d applications/media rig. since thats what im studying in college maybe i should retract my statement about 24" max. ok retracted :worried: .

then theres always that, i cant have my computer monitor bigger than my tv. so now it has me thinking my tv needs to be 46"+ or a projector

20. customh

customh conflagration.

Everyone needs to see the how do you use your multiple monitors post. here.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=124997
    Then look at tads post on the second page (or fist depending on how you ahve it set up, its number 40)
    Then tell me how big is too big.

Tags: Add Tags