1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gamers plan to buy their flailing MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 4 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

The fans seem to think its worth preserving, and TBH thats all that matters.

3. Nezodon

Nezodon What's a Dremel?

Its such a shame it was a very good game ad i have to say one of the better ones in the MMORPG market, i played it in beta but after it closed to go back and work some problems out i got involved with SWG and stuck with that game.

Hope they manage to keep it up and running though failing that i hope that the fans can gain control of it.

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I was in the beta and had a lot of hope for it also, though the devs essentially ignored us and only implemented simple things we had suggested that would have helped a lot months after it went live (a year after the initial suggestion in beta)

My impression was always that in the initial beta it had more sandbox stylings and after it came out of the "focused testing" it went into for 6 months most of the things that had been wrong with the sandbox were still there, but the leveling etc had been moved over towards grinding (yuck) so I didn't buy in.

Trialed it not all that long ago, didn't quite have the old magic it had in the initial beta.

Even after all that though, it was still one of the more original MMO's on the market and it is a shame to hear it is failing.

5. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

good luck to them but just having the source code isn't enough they need servers, bandwidth and support staff to run it properly.

Good luck to them but it'll be much harder than they think

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

If they've managed to raise €60,000, then there's obviously a large userbase that want to keep the MMO online. So yeah, I think it's a worthy cause if there's so many out there that are willing to contribute their hard-earns to it.

7. Narvi

Narvi What's a Dremel?

Intriguing. An open-source MMO? I assume the 40k would go to buy the dedicated servers and things. Will it be maintainable though? They could subsist on donations, I suppose, and the admins and GMs and things could do it for free. Hmm.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2006
  8. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

i could totally see the winning bidder retract the idea of open source and charge just like the old company did. like at first keep it open then when all the donations are secure or payed back or whatever, he'll just be like yeah we need to charge money now cause we can't keep up the servers etc. etc.

9. AClark

AClark What's a Dremel?

I can't see this being beneficial to the game at all. I don't play the game, never have, but I can only imagine that the state of the game will decrease as more and more user-created content is added to the game.

I doubt very much that the people trying to buy the code are aware of just how much work would have to done to keep the game running. However, if they do, I wish them best of luck.

10. Hilariousity

Hilariousity What's a Dremel?

What do you do when your favorite mmorpg goes under?=Get a life! I hate to say it but every single mmorpg(even WOW) will go down at some point because mmorpgs work poorly as a substitute for real life. I myself had a runescape addiction several years ago and lost so much time because of it. Although, I do like the idea of a game being open source I am against anyone buying the source code at all.

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:hehe: True :sigh:

Personally I'd like to see offline versions of most MMOs. The only one I play is Guild Wars (tried Star Wars Galaxies - was meh / ok until they nerfed it) and I usually quest alone or with a group of local friends (total of only 5 in my guild). You'd have to add a few NPCs and modify the economics a little but with a little work you could head towards the standards of most stand alone RPGs.

12. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

i hope they dont get outbid

13. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

flailing? failing?

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Either a typo or:

Flailing: as in what your arms do if you loose your balance (picture a cartoon character at the edge of a cliff trying not to fall)

15. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

It seems like the effort might be in vein, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Also, in "A group of gamers, worried that their favourite MMO will soon cease to exist, has come together to try and gather enough cash to buy the code themselves." It should be "to try to gather enough cash." :p

16. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

The best thing that could happen to them is that they get outbid. That would mean somebody out there sees comercial potential in the game and is willing to bid strongly for the code. If they bid, they must be expecting to get a return of the investment...

17. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

But wouldent it be nice to have a free opensource MMO by the people, for the people? If its managed right there should be no reason why it can't be run well.

18. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Can someone fix the typos please? They're really upsetting me :s

Tags: Add Tags