1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Indoor Lighting

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 5 Dec 2006.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just curious to see if anyone else feels the same.

I hate normal incandescant lighting.... every day lightbulbs in otherwords. I hate the yellowy colour; I hate the fact that they draw 60 watts to give out what is essentially a crap amount of light, and I hate the fact that they last only a few hundred hours, and then "Ping" when you need the damned thing the most.

So I've replaced all my lamps with these

Anyone else feel that normal bulbs are just crap and yellowy, and that the bluer, crisper daylight is better, or do most peopel feel that it makes your home feel like an office, and that warmer lights are more welcoming?

Oh... and another thing... I can have every light in the house on now, and only draw 150 watts.. which is nice.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

christmas suc- ... oh wait. yeah! energy saving lightbulbs are cool.

3. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

The nicest part is they last so much longer than regular bulbs. In California for awhile we could get the bulbs for $1 each, so i replaced a lot of the bulbs at my grandma's with them since she cannot replace them herself. I have yet to have any of them go out, and this is a year and a half later. To bad they dont make anything that looks decent in fans.

Regular bulbs dont really bother me, but the ease of not having to replace the bulbs so much is the best advantage

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yeah, I love Compact Flourescent bulbs (CFs). I've got them in all my lights except in the bathroom for some strange reason. When I build the new house I'm going to go all indirect flourescent for the main lighting and CF for the specific spots.

The only downside is that I have heard of cases of the inverters in the bulbs burning out and starting a fire :worried:

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Never bothered me tbh. The only place in my house with good, strong lighting is the kitchen. Every other room is quite dark in comparison - I tend to use lamps rather than the main light...creates a nice ambience.

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Trying to get my Mum to convert, they complain to me about the power usage of my computer (shouldn't breach 200W) But they leave the lights on all the time, the lounge alone has 4 and they are almost always on. Also you can get them in the "normal shape" too.

7. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I like the whiter light from fluorescent lamps, but I remember reading that in the end, they don't end up saving that much energy (if at all) since the manufacturing process for them is so much more complex - They end up causing more pollution.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It all depends on the situation, really. If I'm building furniture, painting, or doing some other art or craft, then I prefer as much bright, white light as I can get. If I'm relaxing in the living room, watching the television or reading a book, then I prefer a dimmer, warmer light. If I'm gaming or watching a really good movie I turn off all the lights.

-monkey

9. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

had one for years bot an older type and i've noticed that they don't just stop working but fades and then dies, it take ours about 5 minuets to warm up.

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I made a light for Design Technology at GCSE. It was pretty cool, used clusters of LED's and diffused the light through a peice of 25mm clear plastic with frosting on one side and ridges on the other. I think i used about 12 leds in groups of 3.

Best thing was that the light (although slightly dim) gave of a white glow, rather than yellow dinge. Got an A for that :D, even though it broke about a month later :p

11. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I use those in my bathroom. I stick to normal incandescent lights or the sun though because I can not seem to concentrate, for studying and hands on projects, under fluorescent.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm cheap, Poundland/99p places energy saving 9W bulbs for me.

13. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

And another problem with incandescant lighting is when working with rotating machinery because of the 50Hz flicker it can make rotating machinery look like it's not turning, especially lathes and the like.

And I like the nice white light put out by CF's, but these LED bulbs are also cool.

Jimbo

14. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

I like the warm yellow glow of an ordinary bulb in the living room, it just seems to create a better atmosphere. The blue daylight bulbs to me are a bit industrial. Anyway I thought those energy efficient light bulbs would cut down on electricity bills, but it seems to me the electricity companies just crank up the price to make up for it.

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

nothing beats sunlight, after that it's halogen > incandescent > CF spiral >>>>>>>> Flourescent tubes

but the ccfl's are getting better. they're almost nice enough for me to use now

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Halogen lights for me. Crisp, crystal-clear bright white light with a warm rather than sterile edge to it.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I'm running halogen (with dimmers) on almost every light in my apartment.

I have a desk-lamp with a tube, and all my cupboard lighting is white LEDs. (indirect, so it gives a nice, warm glow)

I hate the light from fluorecent tubes. it seems to sterile and office-like...

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Yep, halogen lights. You can dim them and they dont take forever to warm up in a cold area, besides that flourescents give me a headache. I can only imagine how bad they are running on 50 hz.