1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Betty - Updated

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeroenotje, 15 Sep 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Is that you? :D
    I love polished metal.

2. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

Yes, however I look more like an alien at that picture. I might post a cool picture of myself someday. It's hard to take an "in action" picture, because I take all pictures myself ;) .
    Oh, and I love polished metal to ;) .

3. customh

customh conflagration.

Waiting for the black but this looks good!! Keep it up!!

4. koolkidd

koolkidd What's a Dremel?

hey im just wondering what brand case is that and would it be possible to grab the measurements of it from you?

cheers

btw looking awesome so far hope to see more!

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yea, you look like an alien. :)
    Anyways... your work is awesome and inspiring. :)

[off_topic]
    Oh, and hi Franklin... haven't seen you for quite some time.
    [/off_topic]

6. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

great!! the crt idea is owsome!love it! so retro...:thumb:

7. floppyeardbunny

floppyeardbunny What's a Dremel?

Hey Jeroenotje,
    Sorry for the delay in gettin back to you on the copper mesh question. It is a metal woven fabric. It is commonly used on windows as a pest barrier. However the metal version has been found to be a great RF / EMI barrier. Check out this website it has a few selections or just do a net search for copper mesh or copper screen.
    http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/product.jsp?type=3

8. Jeroenotje

Hey, thanks floppyeardbunny! Coppermesh sounds like great stuff.. I'm not sure about using it. If the shielding thing I am working on now won't work, I might going to use the coppermesh idea.

To all the other people, thanks to :) ! However, IRL I don't really look like an alien (I hope)!

9. Jeroenotje

Another Update, It's a small Update but it's.. okay, I think :).

That piece of scrap I mad last time.. Well, I bended it and that failed.. besides that, it was far to big. I failed.

So, it was time to make the perfect cardboard version. At least a piece of it. A new version of the last shield will return in it, only smaller. This carboard version is made out of three parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The round holes will be drilled ofcourse, but it is difficult to do that in cardboard. There got to be lines in the biggest shield, before I'll made them, I have to made the shield around the wiring. That one has to get the same lines.
    I said: This cardboard version is made out of three parts. The smallest one is difficult to see, It is the two points at the bottom. These ones are only half as wide as the other four.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I am going to use some UV-plastics or showerhose(holders).

So far... Give your opinion! But most usefull are story's about how to bend. I'm not an expert at this level. I have a round piece of metal that has the right shape for the bendings. But it's difficult to use in the vise, because the vise is always there... Think about it, it's difficult to explain, but you'll know what I mean.

Any questions? :)

10. Jeroenotje

UPDATE! Huh?! Yeah, it has been awhile. I've been so damn busy. Sorry! My life was all school, school, sport and some other hobby's... I simply had no time for modding. How frustrating. I had no time and no inspiration. I've got some insiration again... and time.. We'll see. I'll explain later.
    We're have we been? Ow yeah, the shielding for the CRT. I made some progress on it since my last update - I trashed it :) . Lol. Sort of. I figured out some small things with it. After that I still couldn't decide what the right design would be.
    There are many other things to do at this project. So I decided to leave the shielding of the CRT for a while. Anyway, here is what I did so far.
    [​IMG]
    This is some metal misabuse. It's that thingie I already made before. It's far from perfect now.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, there were so many things to do. One of them was polishing. Nothing but polishing aluminium. Like I said, I had no inspiration. And polishing just had to be done. So, why not? Bad choice, polishing so much stuff is boring and takes to much time! Never mind. Here are the shieldings of the hdd halfway:
    [​IMG]
    The shields are still dirty because of the polishing compound. My workspace didn't became cleaner. Lol.
    [​IMG]
    Al compound is removed. I polished it up a bit more, so we are halfway! Shiny! :)
    [​IMG]
    Just because everybody does. Having a cool object reflected in it.
    [​IMG]
    The holders are polished to.
    [​IMG]
    That was it for the dark paste. It became time for some lighter compound with a softer buffingwheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CHROME CHROME CHROME. Yes, only if I had the money and if I knew where to find a good chromer. But hey, I can live with this. What do you guys think?
    Meanwhile, the workshop still doesn't turn out cleaner. Now you can see how I support the material. And I am using some tissue that is used in the kitchen. This stuff (like toiletpaper) doesn't scratch the surface at all! At least, less then let's say cotton.
    [​IMG]
    Just a totalshot. One of the shields has a less shiny place. IRL you can watch yourself in it, it's just less shiny :(. I don't have a compund to buff afterwards. To make the shine complete. The shields are still a bit dirty anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Some nice pictues, after all these ours of work I just HAD to post them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally time to assemble it all. I've been looking forward to this. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With a HDD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally. Our next victim :) . The PSU? Yes, it has to be done like the shields of the hdd. I'm probably going to make new holders. Maybe next update.
    [​IMG]
    I hope the next update will be soon! Any questions? Again, all reactions are welcome!

11. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Welcome back from your hiatus. Nice work on the support brackets, I like their design.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Just a quick note. The camera works fine. Get on over to a charity store or tag sale and get a tripod! Cheap and no more alien jokes. Seriously , a tripod with a 2 or 3 angle head will get some great shots. This mod is cool!

13. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

I second the welcome back. Can't wait to see this come together.

14. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Shiny stuff, gooood! :D

15. Jeroenotje

Thanks so far everybody!
    Good point you are making there! I'll look around. However, I don't mind seeing myself reflected in the pictures, do you guys? The only problem is to keep the camera itself as steady as possible. In that way it might be a good idea to spend money on a tripod. Never thought of this before, thanks man :) .
    I hope the next update will be as soon as possible. I might have some time today to work on this project. We'll see :) .

16. RadioJunkie

RadioJunkie What's a Dremel?

Very nice work you got there!

17. Jeroenotje

UPDATE! It has been a month since last update :(. I've veen sick again, and I was to busy. Besides all that, my hdd crashed so I had no system and almost all pictures at high res. are gone. But you got to move on... This update is small, but I had a lot of work on this update. To explain what I did we need to go back in time. Does anyone remember this one?
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I was really unsatisfied about this thing. Like I said in the last update, I want to get every detail at this project perfect. And the PSU is our victim this time. So what was a better place to start then.. this plate?
    Two things had to change: the edges on the inside, and the scratches. Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    After some filing and (wet)sanding:
    [​IMG]
    Way better! :)
    Finally it was time for some polishing then. The result: a big mess, do you see any workspace?
    [​IMG]
    Better:
    [​IMG]
    Today was a modproductive day! I just finished polishing. At that moment I found uit that the batteries of my digital camera where low. So I took the next picture with my cellphone. Well, I can live with this.
    [​IMG]
    Well, no high qual. picture from before mounting this plate. I couldn't resist mounting the plate ;) . The batteries where loaded, so watch this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, this looks how I ment it to be. What do you guys think?
    Next thing on the list of things that need to be done: Make new holders, these ones are screwed up (by me) and I wont post any pictures of that.
    [​IMG]
    I already started wetsanding the shields:
    [​IMG]
    I have made some designs for some shielding. The begin and end of this project where a bit lost I think. But that seems to be over now!
    I would like to make some mockups, test them out and post them. Hopefully this weekend or next week. All kinds of reactions are welcome again ;).

18. customh

customh conflagration.

Pretty sweet! hope you stay well enough to keep it up!

19. Jeroenotje

Update! Yes, it isn't always taking months. This time it's time for some mockups! Like I said last time. Besides that, I collected some sketches, I found out that there were a lot. So, I came up with the idea to scan them onto the computer so I can put them online. So other people could use them. I need more webspace to do that. Let me know what you guys think. I guess I've talked enough now. Time for serieus sh*zZ@: UPDATE :) .

Shields for the front of the PSU! That's the keyword this time. They will give the PSU more body an they will finish the other shields. I might going to make more of these shields and use them for the back of the PSU and the back of the CD-roms. Here's a drawing:
    [​IMG]
    New holders! Sketch:
    [​IMG]

Enough drawings, time for a cardboard mockup. After this, the fun is going to begin. It's all going to be made out of polished aluminium with some UV-green plexi behind it. We used some cardboard, a knife, a pencil and some other stuff do build this:
    [​IMG]
    That's starting to look like... something :) . It contains two pieces, that are both going to be made out of aluminium.
    [​IMG]
    In my opinion, it's a bit... stupid. So I saw a green marker laying around. And so I thought, Why not? These details are going to be cut out ;).
    [​IMG]
    It's seems to be one part..
    [​IMG]
    I drilled the holes with a 3mm drillbit in the DREMEL. After some screwing you'll get tapped M4 holes in the cardboard :) . That's how the back piece is mounted to the front shields.
    [​IMG]
    The mockup is mounted with some tape, maybe it's time for some holders at the side?
    But that isn't the only problem! How about this?
    [​IMG]
    The side first! After some designin, cutting and gluwing (the edges) this is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    There's enough space for led holders ore cable holders!
    With shield on it:
    [​IMG]
    The problem of the ATX-cable wa solved easily. I should have rounded the corners of this hole, but that came up in my mind at the moment I already cutted it. Thank god it's only a mockup. As you can see, the mounting of the shieldings with the side-holder isn't correct either. Measured something wrong.
    [​IMG]
    The shielding are going to get the same rounding as the side-shields have. The roundings went a bit lost while I was busy with the cardboad. But that's all going to be allright. Aluminium keeps better in shape then cardboard ;) .
    It think this is the final design for these backshields. As soon as I have time I'm going to build them. What do you guyz think of it? The cardboard mockup is a bit crappy. I can't wait to build this out of aluminium! But I don't what to do anything to hurry, I simply don't want to make any mistakes. Reacties are welcome again ;) .

20. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

That's a sweet PSU cover :thumb: