1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Automatic barrier-pillars + Mercedes + Herb Alpert = GOLD

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 5 Dec 2006.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Seen it before but that's a classic vid. I love living in Manchester ;)

3. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Wow. We need some of those over here. Darn yuppies in their beemers, trying to drive through all the "bus access only" and "Carpool only" areas... A couple of sets of those in strategic locations would be really nice.

4. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

The Manchester Eveneing News website had that on it i seem to remember, i wish i'd been there as it happened just to laugh in there face, especially the first silver car, who'd seen the barriers then waited for a bus and tried to rush past, what a fool :hehe:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I feel sorry for the kids. The Merc driver isnt distraught he has a serious case of whiplash.
    Idiot none the less.

6. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

The bloke who drove the Merc should be strung up. You do NOT risk something like that with kids in the car! Talk about a complete lack of responsibility. Christ, that makes me so angry. Grrrr.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Those barriers have got to be quite strong to take the force of a car bashing into them!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea they go down like 6 feet or something. They're basically massive steel poles in concreted steel tubes. Nothing is gonna shift em in a hurry.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

lol I'd love to see a prick in a kitted out hummer try and take them on and his car mangled lol

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Beastie engineering! Guess they are hydraulically powered too.

11. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Bollards come up really fast and indeed they are strong. They have them in Newbury, silly thing is that its only on one side of the road, you can simply drive AROUND them!

The fact the wipers start going at full speed on the merc just makes me roffle.

12. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

the van driver at the end smashing the windscreen with his head is class :rock:

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Not too long ago that finboz and I nearly got caught out by these in Edinburgh.
    I had no idea that they had been installed in George Street and was driving along as you do, luckily for me there was no bus in front so they were clearly visible so we stopped and did a U turn. What worries me is if I had been following a bus, completely unaware of these pop up barriers, I would have had an awkward discussion with my insurance company.

14. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Haha, thank you for that link!

15. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

to be honest mate if you where tail gateing a bus it wud serve you right the only way you can miss the signs in manchester is if your tailgateing a bus

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have no idea about Manchester but in Edinburgh they were poorly signposted.
    And on George street the average speed is about 10MPH so you tend to be close to the vehicle in front.

I hadn't driven in Edinburgh for some time and there was no obviouvious sign pointing out these things.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2006
  17. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

they are taking them down in manchester due to health and safety reasons, apparantly its not safe for it to go up while there is a vehicle on it but surely thats the whole f**king point.

my mate was walking past there when the black 4x4 got murked, said he was pissing himself laughing, the **** had his kids in the car too, talk about irressponsible.

as for the lorry driving, hes even more of a cock for not wearing his seatbelt so im glad he ****ted his head of the windscreen.

im seriously livid that they will be taking these down, how can health n safety laws pander to human stupidity *rolls eyes*

18. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Probably because the council got sued by either the individuals or their insurance companies.

And they should have some sort of sensor on that checks if there is a vehicle above it before raising them. Presumably the buses have some sort of transponder that lowers the barriers? What happens if that fails?

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I agree it's ridiculous that people should be able to sue the council for that. They couldn't be more clearly signposted. What are they going to do next, sue the council when someone gets run over for allowing dangerous cars on the roads? ***ing p****s!

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's a god damn JOKE. First, the council makes you pay to have them installed, then next they're gonna make you pay to have them taken away.

Tags: