1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop screw heads worn

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cresdon, 5 Dec 2006.

1. Cresdon

Cresdon What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove worn laptop screws or if they know of any companies that are able to do this. One screw on my memory bay got worn during a memory replacement procedure, the other screws on the panel are fine except for just that one. I took the laptop back to the place of purchase where initially they told me that they would send it to their main repair office to get it fixed, but I should backup my data and so forth. When I returned I met a different guy who called the office and was told that they don't have the necessary tools to do it. To your knowledge, are there screw extractors small enough to remove laptop screws?

Last edited: 6 Dec 2006
  2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If they are torx screws, find a suitable flathead screwdriver. that way you can remove it anyways. then it's just a question of getting a new screw in.

3. Cresdon

Cresdon What's a Dremel?

It's actually a phillips head screw. I don't know what material it's made out of but it doesn't seem to be very strong. I'm guessing it should be some metal alloy but it looks like it could be made of composite materials as well. It's annoying that it got worn so easily.

4. 13000

13000 Banned

If it isn't in too tight, get a bit of strong glue on a screw driver or something, align and wait to dry, then, providing the glue will hold, unscrew.

5. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

dare you to drill it out

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

jb weld an old screwdriver to the screws. they'll never come apart again but at least you can undo them

7. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

my grandfather has a special tool to remove worn screws but don't ask me where he got it, i never seen anything like it in a shop. If u can find a specialized tool like he has it's fairly easy. finding such a thing should be difficult.
    as to welding:
    try soldering it on u can remove that and it might prove strong enough

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

use a dremal to cut a decent slot in the screw, then slightly tighten the screw then undo the screw. slightly tighting the screw helps to release any pressure as they will be 'self tapping screws.

Good luck, it is very difficult job.

9. Cresdon

Cresdon What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, I'm going to see if I can get ahold of one of those specialized tools. I don't dare drill the back of my laptop ;). Thanks again.

10. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

I'd suggest a screw extractor set, but I don't suppose the screws are big enough.

If the screw heads are that soft, I'd just try a suitable sized small flat-head screwdriver - firmly (not violently) tap the end of the handle to chisel purchase in the screw head, and apply slight downwards force whilst slowly turning to prevent 'cam out'.

Good luck whatever you try.